Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Thedriftbadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Raceland coilover long term review

Seems like there's no real raceland coilover review. Well there's one but it's just installation. I'm doint a long term review that i will continually update so everyone can know about what kind of quality these coilovers are.
The car: s13 hatch, ka powered, full interior.
I also got ruca's and toe rods for the rear at the same time as these.
PLEASE READ THIS: Obviously i don't expect these to last forever or outperform more expensive ones. But at $520 shipped i figured they are worth a try. Hopefully i can give enough info and testing on these to see if they are a good option for people on a budget.
Unpacking (sorry no pics i was in a rush) : they come with camber plates and have adjustable height. You get the 4 brackets i'll talk about in a minute and 2 wrenches. They look like a quality part, i'll give them that. And plus they come with stickers!
Installation: same as any other coilover. Took me about 4 hours to do the coils, rucas, and toe arms. My god everything is so tight from the factory. I did, however, have the drill like 1/100th of an inch out of one hole in the front strut towers. I think it might just be my car though since it was hit. Either way not a big deal, took like 20 seconds. The other install thread says that they don't come with brake line holders. This is WRONG. They do indeed have them, they are just different from what you're used to. Basically it comes with these 4 metal brackets that bolt on to one of the lower strut bolts. There's 4 of them in case you have abs. (pics coming later), and you use your factory brake line clamp and it works perfectly. So installation wise i have no complaints. Here's the front installed

Here's a better shot of the brake line holder

You get 4 of these:

Take the grommet off for the brake lines and leave it on for the abs lines if equipped.
Initial drive: not as stiff as i thought they would be but that's kind of a good thing. They are 7k/5k spring rates. They ride really nice. No bounce, good dampening. Obviously they try to dislocate your spine over speed bumps but thats all coilovers. They are a HUGE improvement over stock.
Moar low!: let me just say, they go plenty low. The rear will just about lay frame and the fronts will get a stock chuki bumper about 1 inch off the ground. Here's how she's sitting

Not too low cause it's my daily. Plus my exhaust hangs low

Front ground clearance (hood is open, not broken, cause i had to take the next picture)

Camber plates

In the front i can go about 2 inches lower without taking the collar off. I know it's hard to tell in the pics but i only have like 3 inches of ground clearance in the front. In the rear i can go like 4 inches lower or something completely stupid. Basically lower than you could ever need.

Last edited by Thedriftbadger; 06-19-2013 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: pictures!
Thedriftbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
alexander240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
alexander240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
badass thanks bro! im def going to look at this. Now for all the haters to start posting.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
vipergtsr1000hp
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
vipergtsr1000hp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
theres always haters on cheap coilovers lol. i had godspeed coils on my s14 for over 2 years daily driving racking about 23k miles on them. they rode the same throughout. took them out cuz i got a great deal on kts coils. the godspeeds looked the same, not blown, just dirty when taken off. let us know how it goes cuz im about to get some for my 01 civic es1.
vipergtsr1000hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
alexanderig
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
alexanderig is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I don't understand I've read a lot of review threads about these blowing rather quickly. And on multiple forums for different cars. It's one of those parts that you really get what you pay for. And what other coils have you owned that you can compare it to? besides godspeed please.

Ps Spoiler alert: they suck and when you ride in a car with real coils you'll regret not doing it right once.
alexanderig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
slidewayz240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
slidewayz240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
completely different brands, but I have tein super drifts on 2 of my cars, and ebay emusa coils on a third. I just got them to dump the car to the ground. I have used the emuse coils for almost 2 years without a single problem. This included year round driving through the salt in the north east, a few drift days, and still no problems. Are they as comfortable as my teins? No. Does the dampening do a damn thing? Absolutely not. Do they work as a (proven to me) reliable way to lower my car, and make it a little more fun to drive? Absolutely 100%.

Cheap coilovers are not for the hard core drift/autocross and grip crowds (granted some people use them with absolutely no problems). If you have a car that you want to not roll all over the place in a corner, be a bit lower to the ground, and make the 1 or 2 drift/auto-x events that you go to in the summer more enjoyable, I would recommend a cheap coilover over an expensive one every day of the week. If you are never going to use the r&d that is put into making a proper coilover work, why pay for it?
slidewayz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

I think some of you are missing the point of the thread. I'm doing a test on them. Longetivity, over all quality, ride, etc... No one has a real review on these. Shit i even wrote that i don't expect much and you guys swear i'm saying these are the best thing out there. If you don't have something to contribute then please don't comment. I don't need people shitting on my review thread.
$500 and a 2 year warranty, what do i have to lose? I guaranteed 2 years of service and that's plenty of time to get some money for better coilovers.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
g35gabby
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
g35gabby is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
GL in your time riding on them, had one of the locals literally snap in 1/2 on him driving around town... They were installed properly, and made a horrible mess of the car.

Just be safe and GL to you. hopefully your experience will be better. Husband had 3 years and 45k miles on his BC coils without a single sniffle of issues.... didn't take much selling to get me to buy BC instead.

PS what do you have to lose? a lot if they snap in 1/2, but maybe you will get lucky.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
Bmxer300zx
Zilvia Member

Bmxer300zx is an unknown quantity at this point
Ya they're popular with the vw stance crowd about a million reviews on em. A buddy of mine had em and his car bounced around like dick and they weren't even a year old. I see vw guys bouncing all over dragging ass and I wonder if they're on racelands or cut springs lol
Those spring rates seem terrible though look into some swift springs to tighten it up a bit.
Bmxer300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
i cant drift worth shit

i cant drift worth shit is an unknown quantity at this point
Pics of broken raceland or it didn't happen.
i cant drift worth shit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
Z28ricer
Zilvia Member

Z28ricer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
Are they as comfortable as my teins? No. Does the dampening do a damn thing? Absolutely not.

I would recommend a cheap coilover over an expensive one every day of the week. If you are never going to use the r&d that is put into making a proper coilover work, why pay for it?

So, if you aren't going to autocross, your car should ride like shit the other 28 days out of the month you drive the car, to save a few hundred $ ?

Sweet advice, i'm sure those other 28 days of the month the R&D into a useful damper wouldn't be noticeable.

Does adjustable "dampening" leak some of the shock oil out to dampen the shock body ?

I guess if you cant manage to find the difference between damping, and dampening, you'd probably suggest something that will ride like shit as a good idea.
Z28ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
Z28ricer
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i cant drift worth shit View Post
30 miles on them. They are pretty stiff, I think mostly cause they are not broken in, whicg is also making them feel just slightly underdampened. For now.....

Pics of broken raceland or it didn't happen.
There is NO breaking in of a shock.

They use seals that do not wear on the inside of the cylinder, this isn't an engine.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
slidewayz240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
slidewayz240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28ricer View Post
So, if you aren't going to autocross, your car should ride like shit the other 28 days out of the month you drive the car, to save a few hundred $ ?

Sweet advice, i'm sure those other 28 days of the month the R&D into a useful damper wouldn't be noticeable.

Does adjustable "dampening" leak some of the shock oil out to dampen the shock body ?

I guess if you cant manage to find the difference between damping, and dampening, you'd probably suggest something that will ride like shit as a good idea.
To add to the pissing match here you are more than welcome to check out by build thread, see the cars I have built, and currently am building, then tell me I don't know what I am talking about. Apparently auto correct changing a word on me means I know nothing about how a shock/coilover setup works and functions.

Never ever did I say they were better, or even remotely the same, and never did I say I preferred the ride of the cheap shit. I just said, from my experience they aren't as bad as people on here like to make them out to be. I highly doubt that most of the people reading this drive their car in a matter that the adjustable damping (got it right this time, thanks boss) makes a difference. The majority of the hard ride people complain about would be resolved by putting in softer springs. Softer spring rates putt less force on the shitty strut valving and allow them to work better. Same thing happens when people put those ridiculously hard springs that come with the e-bay slip on coil pieces then wonder why their stock shock valving and seals go bad.

Dont drive like a maniac down a pothole filled road and none of it matters anyways.
slidewayz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

What has happened to my thread!? Lol
Guys please stop the arguing.
I didn't make this thread to prove racelands are goor or bad or anything. I bought them cause I wanted to go low on the cheap while I saved up some cash for school. I just figured id share my experience with everyone in case there's other people in the same situation. That is all. Call them shitty or cheap ir whatever, I don't care, it doesn't mean anything cause I didn't buy them to be a fucking race cars driver, I just wanted some god damn coilovers. Now if you all could stop the pissing match id really appreciate it.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #14
typhoonslippery
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
typhoonslippery will become famous soon enoughtyphoonslippery will become famous soon enoughtyphoonslippery will become famous soon enoughtyphoonslippery will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedriftbadger View Post
I think some of you are missing the point of the thread. I'm doing a test on them. Longetivity, over all quality, ride, etc... No one has a real review on these. Shit i even wrote that i don't expect much and you guys swear i'm saying these are the best thing out there. If you don't have something to contribute then please don't comment. I don't need people shitting on my review thread.
$500 and a 2 year warranty, what do i have to lose? I guaranteed 2 years of service and that's plenty of time to get some money for better coilovers.
Raceland 240sx Coilovers - Installation and Review

sorry to quote another forum but the person who wrote it up said they were bouncy as well " The dampers (especially the rear) are a little on the weak side. There’s definitely some bounciness going on that could be cured with a stiffer damper (or adjustable dampers)."
Old 06-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
Z28ricer
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
To add to the pissing match here you are more than welcome to check out by build thread, see the cars I have built, and currently am building, then tell me I don't know what I am talking about. Apparently auto correct changing a word on me means I know nothing about how a shock/coilover setup works and functions.

Never ever did I say they were better, or even remotely the same, and never did I say I preferred the ride of the cheap shit. I just said, from my experience they aren't as bad as people on here like to make them out to be. I highly doubt that most of the people reading this drive their car in a matter that the adjustable damping (got it right this time, thanks boss) makes a difference. The majority of the hard ride people complain about would be resolved by putting in softer springs. Softer spring rates putt less force on the shitty strut valving and allow them to work better. Same thing happens when people put those ridiculously hard springs that come with the e-bay slip on coil pieces then wonder why their stock shock valving and seals go bad.

Dont drive like a maniac down a pothole filled road and none of it matters anyways.

I would have taken your reply for someone who know's what they are talking about without needing to check any build thread, or any of your other claimed references, except for this little giant piece I've bolded in your reply.

The spring rate has VERY little to do with the issues that pisspoor coilovers have with normal day to day driving, i'm guessing you daily drive on a perfectly smooth racetrack that's perfectly maintained, because you'd have to for the valving in cheap coilovers to not matter.

While softer spring rates may help if you've got a coilover with valving sucks for a higher spring rate than it should have, may help, its not the main issue in the first place.

Virtually ALL of the shitty coilovers people are usually trying to defend have little to no R&D into piston design and valving, and have pretty simple linear pistons, so they've either got good valving for the low velocity good handling area, and far too much at high velocity bumps and comfort, or vice versa.

The only part of your reply that is accurate and true is that the adjustment setups on all of the coilovers people are being mislead by, are in fact useless and rather sad that people will continually fall for the marketing based on these terrible adjusters.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Shut up and look at my pictures!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
Z28ricer
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Shut up and look at my pictures!!!

Yay !

Now if only they were capable of riding well and looking decent, instead of just being shiny.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #18
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoonslippery View Post
Raceland 240sx Coilovers - Installation and Review

sorry to quote another forum but the person who wrote it up said they were bouncy as well " The dampers (especially the rear) are a little on the weak side. There’s definitely some bounciness going on that could be cured with a stiffer damper (or adjustable dampers)."
Yes that's the thread i was referring to with the false information. Hence why i did not link it.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #19
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Yay !

Now if only they were capable of riding well and looking decent, instead of just being shiny.
I see you're in florida. If you ever see me i'll let you drive it and you can make your own opinion on how it rides
Like i said, talk all the shit you want, i'm not here to prove anything. I haven't even formed an opinion on them yet.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #20
Z28ricer
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I see you're in florida. If you ever see me i'll let you drive it and you can make your own opinion on how it rides
Like i said, talk all the shit you want, i'm not here to prove anything. I haven't even formed an opinion on them yet.

I've driven cars with better coilovers that still don't ride well, even in your original post you yourself stated they were rough on bumps, this is a telltale sign of a linear valved setup on the street, it sucks.

People will say going to a softer spring is the solution, which it isn't, I've also driven on 9/7 springs with complete comfort when it comes with to bumps and road irregularities.

The reason why people who know what they're talking about knock junk coilovers is because they're going to get the same level of performance and quality as throwing a set of the $60 ebay sleeves and springs on the stock shocks. Its silly when the amount you spent was 60% of the cost of putting together something far better, but instead rush to buy junk instead of waiting and running quality.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #21
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I've driven cars with better coilovers that still don't ride well, even in your original post you yourself stated they were rough on bumps, this is a telltale sign of a linear valved setup on the street, it sucks.

People will say going to a softer spring is the solution, which it isn't, I've also driven on 9/7 springs with complete comfort when it comes with to bumps and road irregularities.

The reason why people who know what they're talking about knock junk coilovers is because they're going to get the same level of performance and quality as throwing a set of the $60 ebay sleeves and springs on the stock shocks. Its silly when the amount you spent was 60% of the cost of putting together something far better, but instead rush to buy junk instead of waiting and running quality.
Either you can't read or you just love to repetedly state the same thing over and over.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #22
Z28ricer
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Either you can't read or you just love to repetedly state the same thing over and over.

I guess you cant comprehend the fact that it is physically impossible for your coilovers to somehow make me think they don't ride like crap, and that I can know this without having been in your car.

I'm not sure how this equates me not being able to read, seems more like your reading comprehension sucks.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #23
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
What can be said about these coilovers compared to a Tein + GR2 strut and spring combo?
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #24
Z28ricer
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooopreme View Post
What can be said about these coilovers compared to a Tein + GR2 strut and spring combo?

These coilovers will allow you to adjust your ride height.

The Tein+GR2 combo will allow you a vehicle that doesn't ride like shit.

A set of used Evo Bilstein shocks some coilover collars and a little work, will allow you both.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
DJ-of-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Thedriftbadger, have you ever daily driven a set of Ohlins or Penske shocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!
DJ-of-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #26
Z28ricer
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-of-E View Post
Thedriftbadger, have you ever daily driven a set of Ohlins or Penske shocks?

The sad part is that it doesn't take that level / cost to have very similar ride quality.

Bilstein, Koni, and KW get you there.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #27
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Quote:
These coilovers will allow you to adjust your ride height.

The Tein+GR2 combo will allow you a vehicle that doesn't ride like shit.

A set of used Evo Bilstein shocks some coilover collars and a little work, will allow you both.
First, I've ruled out your opinion because although you may be knowledgeable of the differences between dampening and damping, you don't own a set nor have you driven on a set. As a matter of fact, most of what you're saying is theorized statements or hearsay.

Second, I own multiple sets of entry level coilovers ranging from blown Megans to several stock/custom valved Fortune Autos all the way to Stance's XR's. And I've test driven coilovers of a lot of different chassis and qualities. Even was a part of R&D testing for my buddy building his own set.

Third, a Tein + GR2 combo rides like shit compared to stock or reputable entry level coilover, in terms of ride quality. Because of the design of the S-Chassis front struts, lowering springs allow about an 1" or 2" of travel and anybody that's driven a car riding on bump stops will say it's not all that great compared to cheap-ish coilovers.

Fourth, not everybody wants to hear how great Bilsteins and Ohlins and KW's are. Thanks to every Captain Obvious, it's a given. I would be surprised if they weren't great. So save the pretentious suspension jabber for somebody that actually uses expensive coilovers for hard driving--as they were intended for.

I asked the OP because my friends don't track their cars anymore and wanted me to scope out a cheap coilover. And with the lack of S-Chassis Raceland coilover reviews, I figured I'd ask.
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #28
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I've never ridden in a car with that setup. Although I recently rode in an s13 with hks springs and struts, which is a pretty common setup and around the same price. I will say that it rode slightly smoother, but it did have more roll in the corners. The racelands are stiffer and handle corners better. They have adjustable camber, height, and preload. Basically everything a normal coilover has except adjustable dampening (if thats the correct term). These would be perfect for someone who just wants stance. The street manners aren't the greatest but i wouldnt say its bad. On crappy road they it can get a little rough but on any half decent road they ride nicely.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #29
Z28ricer
Zilvia Member

Quote:
First, I've ruled out your opinion because although you may be knowledgeable of the differences between dampening and damping, you don't own a set nor have you driven on a set. As a matter of fact, most of what you're saying is theorized statements or hearsay..
First

Indeed I don't own a set of the OP's junk.

I have been in vehicles with your alternate option.

Honestly based on this part of your reply, I hope you're stupid enough to buy that cheap junk and end up with it based off of someone not being able to admit or realize they wasted their money on crap.

Call it theorized and discredit it for that, but after riding in vehicles with cheap crap, and disassembling said cheap crap alongside quality stuff, some people will be smart enough to heed the advice, don't worry though, you aren't required to.

And yes you're right I don't own a set, I've got some Bilsteins, and some Penskes, and quite a few sets of "entry level" coilovers disassembled being turned into housings for quality dampers though.

Quote:

Second, I own multiple sets of entry level coilovers ranging from blown Megans to several stock/custom valved Fortune Autos all the way to Stance's XR's. And I've test driven coilovers of a lot of different chassis and qualities. Even was a part of R&D testing for my buddy building his own set.
So you own a bunch of "entry level coilovers", whats your point ? Because ALMOST everything that's a typical Bolton schassis coilover is going to be in the same group, with varying levels of quality control, and different tiers of repeatability to the adjusters, but almost none with a decent piston design.

Quote:
Third, a Tein + GR2 combo rides like shit compared to stock or reputable entry level coilover, in terms of ride quality. Because of the design of the S-Chassis front struts, lowering springs allow about an 1" or 2" of travel and anybody that's driven a car riding on bump stops will say it's not all that great compared to cheap-ish coilovers.
Sure sounds like your example must have been cut springs, because they do ride far better than cheap coilovers.

Quote:
Fourth, not everybody wants to hear how great Bilsteins and Ohlins and KW's are. Thanks to every Captain Obvious, it's a given. I would be surprised if they weren't great. So save the pretentious suspension jabber for somebody that actually uses expensive coilovers for hard driving--as they were intended for.
You're right on that first line, everyone wants to cuddle each other over how their cheap junk is good enough, instead of admitting it rides like shit.

It doesn't take "expensive" coilovers for a non ride like shit result on the street, Konis and Bilsteins are both doable for close enough to most of the cheap junk everyone is running that you have no foot to stand on for that argument, people are just flat lazy and want an out of the box bolt on solution.

Quote:
I asked the OP because my friends don't track their cars anymore and wanted me to scope out a cheap coilover. And with the lack of S-Chassis Raceland coilover reviews, I figured I'd ask.

Because there aren't a shitload of cheapies already out there that if nothing else at least don't blow within a year, which is about all that can be said for megan, isis, stance, pbm, etc.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #30
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Z28ricer please gtfo. You are shitting all over my thread. I NEVER said these were good. I never said they were better than anything. I never said they arent complete pieces of shit. I don't know what they are yet. I've only had them a day. But by the way you're talking it sounds like you've owned these for years. I know there's better stuff and i know you can spend more and get more or spend less and mix and match and get cool stuff, but why does that even matter when i'm reviewing the fucking racelands. Jesus christ dude seriously get out. No one wants to hear your shit.