Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #61
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Any progress from anybody?
I was really excited to try this out but went different route with my car. I have the conversion kit for sale if anyone in interested!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #62
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Oh boy, sorry its been a while since Ive updated. Finally started getting some things in order and some solid contributions to the thread.

My SR20vet engine is in at last. With it, the getrag 420g is mated up to it and sitting nicely in the trans tunnel. I purchased a chassis mount shifter from Coolerworx, which aesthetically is a beautiful piece and has good feedback from the BMW community. Very happy with the quality, and it sits nicely in the s13 center console trim. It also incorporates a reverse lockout and a centering spring which helps a TON if you, like me, opt to use an M3 SMG gearbox. These operate as a regular manual gearbox, however the bellhousing doesnt have the detents and centering springs in it that help you find gears and neutral like on a regular manual box. From the install and first few shifts, I dont think ill need to change the bellhousing and I am happy with how the shifter makes up for these features on its own.
I went with the CAE adjustable dual shear selector rod like I planned on doing from the outset. It is very expensive for what it is, and I wasnt as happy with the quality as I was hoping. The shifter end wouldnt fit over the receiver on the shifter, the clearance was too tight. I had to shave down the inside of the rod until it would slip on, which wasnt a pleasant experience working with already thin aluminum. The clearance for the pin that holds the rod onto the shifter was also too small. The pin would only fit using excessive force. I suspect the powder coating was too thick and not accounted for. Easy enough to sand the hole and that solved it. Ultimately, with these pieces its better to have a tight fit than a loose fit and have unnecessary slop in the shifting assembly, so its not the end of the world.

Now for some real progress! Mounting the shifter was really easy. I flattened the top of the OE shifter hole and welded a plate onto the top of the trans tunnel to cover it and start from scratch.

It was simple enough to measure where to drill the mounting holes, and I used a 2inch holesaw to make the hole for the shifter. The shifter is made to be mounted either forwards or backwards, and I initally wanted to mount it with the centering spring side forward and the shifter itself closer to me, but had a massive lapse and ended up drilling the shifter hole the complete opposite way I intended. Not a big deal, the shifter should still be within reach but I may end up redoing it if it ends up being too far away.
I wish I could post a video here, because the shifts are ridiculously tight. Like C's short throw cut in half. Its ridiculous. Feels great, direct, and confidence inspiring. It honestly doesnt feel like you move the shifter much at all. Coupled with an incredibly satisfying and mechanical 'clunk' every time you engage a gear, Im in love.

Finally, I also have my driveshaft and my drivetrain in place. The driveshaft came from Shaftmasters, and the turnaround time was only 3 days or so. I had it within a week of ordering, very happy with that. The specs are 3inch aluminum, 50 inches long with an integrated slip yoke. Total weight came in at a touch over 9lbs. Featherweight. I had to purchase an adapter for the BMW output flange, which is a weird 3 bolt flange. This one from Autosports engineering did the trick. Good quality, lightweight, simple piece that came with all hardware and everything.

So now comes the fun part of making the transmission mount. The mounts on the gearbox, like I said before, line up nicely with the OEM mounting points on the chassis, so construction will be relatively easy. That being said, it looks like I do need to work on the angles a bit. Although, I am a lot closer than I thought I would be, and a lot closer than King was from what he mentioned above, lol.

Looks like I need to raise the transmission .4 degrees or more to get closer to that 1 degree or less of total difference. King or ralliart, please let me know if im doing this correctly or made a mistake anywhere. From what I can tell, Im very close but need to do a little work to get within that 1 degree. As the transmission sits, it is very close to the roof of the tunnel, but only at one point where there is an oem support on the chassis that hangs lower than the rest of the sheet metal.

Those 'prongs' on the top of the transmission are no longer needed with a chassis mount shifter. They can be shaved or removed and I should have all the clearance I need, as that is the problem area. Either I do that, or I can machine down my gktech solid motor mounts and drop the engine a touch lower to achieve the same effect. Ill decide what to do this week and begin making the trans mount on thursday hopefully.

Overall, Im happy everything has been relatively simple and straightforward. Ive gone the expensive route at every turn, but everything that Ive done can be done MUCH cheaper. Driveshaft wise, shifter wise, adapter kit wise, etc. etc. Lots of money to be saved compared to my exact setup, but Im just happy to finally have a drivetrain in my car after 2 years.
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #63
splitfire
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
splitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by d9m13n View Post
The driveshaft came from Shaftmasters, and the turnaround time was only 3 days or so. I had it within a week of ordering, very happy with that. The specs are 3inch aluminum, 50 inches long with an integrated slip yoke.

Could you post a photo of integrated slip yoke?
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #64
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitfire View Post
Could you post a photo of integrated slip yoke?

Old 09-25-2019, 12:12 PM   #65
splitfire
Leaky Injector

splitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
On the left side of picture under the dust boot, is it correct?
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #66
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitfire View Post
On the left side of picture under the dust boot, is it correct?

Yessir. Not sure how much give it has, feels like about an inch. But it’s very nice and moves smoothly
Old 10-10-2019, 05:43 AM   #67
speedingmofa
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (15)
speedingmofa is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I'm also very interested in this swap, specially because I'm in Europe where there is an abundance of BMW boxes.
But one look at bmw ratio's, and it's pretty clear most of them are way too short for our diff ratio's. I've already got the lowest diff ratio at 3.69.
The stock SR 5 speed ratio is at 3.32, 1.9, 1.3, 1.0, 0.76
The lowest ratio manual box (E90/E92 335i) is at 4.0, 2.4, 1.6, 1.2, 1.0 , 0.85 (source http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/GearRatios.htm), but i'm not sure if that's still an M50-M57 gearbox..
And the E46 M3 6 spd starting at 4.2 is waaay too short... Mine is still a street car after all, and I'd hate to be doing 60mph at 3500rpm

Though I'm in Europe, i think it's still not easy to come by an M3 manual box, as it's going to have the "M" price tag attached to it...

Just sharing some of my thoughts.
Other than that, the fit seems pretty good and it's relatively easy to get the shifter in the right position. All conversions need custom driveshafts, but that's probably the easier part of the conversion. I guess those going after this conversion are for mostly for drifting purposes?

Edit: i had the damn ratio's mixed up, auto have way lower gearratio's

Last edited by speedingmofa; 10-11-2019 at 03:56 AM..
speedingmofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #68
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
im pretty confident the 5 speed e36 m3 box Is the same as the 5 speed 328i e36.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:05 AM   #69
shirunai

shirunai is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a gs6-37dz 6speed 320d diesel gearbox on my sr20det.
Personally I think it was a nightmare to install since it was not alot of information out there.
When installed its awsome at drifting, just shift between 4th and 3rd and I use a aftermarket coolworx shifter.

https://www.speeding.nu/thumb/4456/1...tall-svart.jpg
shirunai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #70
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Do you have photos of your transmission mount? I’m just finishing mine up but would like to see what others have done
Old 11-23-2019, 11:07 AM   #71
shirunai

Quote:
Originally Posted by d9m13n View Post
Do you have photos of your transmission mount? I’m just finishing mine up but would like to see what others have done
my friends mount, mine is even bigger
https://ibb.co/mT3KwNW
https://ibb.co/0sm95M6
Old 11-23-2019, 11:16 AM   #72
shirunai

https://ibb.co/B4kxpnH
https://ibb.co/XkWRwbv

this is mine i am not Proud
Old 11-25-2019, 03:25 AM   #73
shirunai

d9m13n

how did u solve the pilotbearing?
Old 11-25-2019, 06:51 AM   #74
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirunai View Post
d9m13n

how did u solve the pilotbearing?

On the abc clutch kit the pilot bearing is integrated into the flywheel
Old 03-17-2020, 12:50 AM   #75
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Hey guys, not sure if anyone is still in progress with this. I just wanted to say this thread was incredibly helpful...

I managed to pull this off in 12 days including sourcing, researching, etc. I can honestly say it's a very simple swap and everything is pretty much bolt on.

This is one of my favorite things I've ever done to my car.... absolutely 0 regrets. I run this on my 450hp SR20VE with a 4.1 FD and it's absolutely perfect. It's almost impossible to grind a gear, even shifting at very high RPM. Unless you're seriously just doing something wrong.

Few small things I did differently than above.

- Instead of the adjustable DSSR, I ended up getting the Garagistic Z3 one, which is WAY too long and had someone shorten it for me. (stainless rod).

- Got a steel 1 piece integrated driveshaft. The driveshaft shop I spoke to mentioned the aluminum driveshafts he's seen with integrated yokes don't end up lasting long. (idk if this is actually true..., but this was cheaper too)

Anways, I created a GoogleSheet as I was doing research to keep track of what I needed to order/source still and realized it ended up almost being a write-up in itself, haha.

Feel free to check it out and PM on IG with any questions you may have (@niekotheboss @driftteamhammertime)! I would say PM here but I don't lurk Zilvia too much anymore.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...iAI/edit#gid=0

Hope this helps!
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #76
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Thanks for posting that sheet nieko.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:13 PM   #77
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Don't think I ever responded Jake sorry . Next time just DM me

If you are at or less than 3 degrees total angle, you should be set!

I am only revisiting this as I am wanting to dump my entire VET drivetrain into a E36 or E46 chassis
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #78
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
So what is THE transmission to use that doesn't have absurdly low gear ratios? I'd want to keep the 4.08 final. Something close to the cd009 gear ratios would be nice because I actually like those gears behind the sr20... Maybe a little taller?
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #79
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
The 5 Getrag and 420G (6 speed) have surprisingly VERY close ratios to the CD009 actually. Actually, most of the BMW 5 speeds and 6 speeds share the exact same gear ration apart from an added cog for 6th.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #80
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
just a bit of maybe useful info, but this is a PDF with all the part numbers for ZF S5-31 transmissions. might come in handy for someone

http://www.bilar.co.uk/saabenstein/d...box/zfS531.pdf

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:24 AM   #81
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
7 speed dct

Anyone fitted the GS7D36SG into a S13/S14 yet?

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo

Last edited by Yellow4g63; 10-24-2020 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: wrong box code
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:56 AM   #82
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Sorry I put the wrong gear box code down. I fixed it with a edit. The 08 M3 7 speed DCT gear box.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 12-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #83
SE-Rawkus

Trader Rating: (3)
SE-Rawkus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
Sorry I put the wrong gear box code down. I fixed it with a edit. The 08 M3 7 speed DCT gear box.
I?m going with 2016 M3/M4 DCT Box with my VET. #GS7D36SG

I have the box & adapter to mate it to the engine.
SE-Rawkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:18 PM   #84
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
gills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE-Rawkus View Post
I?m going with 2016 M3/M4 DCT Box with my VET. #GS7D36SG

I have the box & adapter to mate it to the engine.
Do you have a build thread or info?
Old 12-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #85
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

I did end up picking up a 08 M3 dct. Going to buy the adapter stuff early next year.

M3 DCT by Andwele Hall, on Flickr
M3 DCT by Andwele Hall, on Flickr

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo

Last edited by Yellow4g63; 01-18-2021 at 06:29 AM..
Old 12-29-2020, 08:59 PM   #86
SE-Rawkus

Trader Rating: (3)
SE-Rawkus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gills View Post
Do you have a build thread or info?
I haven?t started a build thread. But you can follow me on IG (mfreshs14). I?ve posted a few ?build? items there.
SE-Rawkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:44 AM   #87
mothon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
mothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What are you guys doing about the final drive? The six speed bmw's use a 3.08 final drive. For a street car I would want final drive as close to stock as possible.

What are our options?
Old 03-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #88
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

I'm personally going to run the 350/370z auto rear end. It's not as low but it will be better than the 4.0 r200.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 03-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #89
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
I'm personally going to run the 350/370z auto rear end. It's not as low but it will be better than the 4.0 r200.
z33 auto is 3.3 iirc.
if you want taller, y34 is 3.1

also FYI normal 2way LSD does not fit z33 auto diff, since the ring gear is offset compared to manual trans z33 diff. OS Giken does make a LSD that fits z33 auto, but afaik kaaz and most other diff manufacturers do not offer one that fits z33 auto diff.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:39 PM   #90
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothon View Post
What are you guys doing about the final drive? The six speed bmw's use a 3.08 final drive. For a street car I would want final drive as close to stock as possible.

What are our options?
You need to also consider gear ratio. There's a good chance the dct with 7 gears have enough as a different gear spread where going with a 3.9 or similar will literally deem the first 3 gears useless.