Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #1
Avayo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Avayo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Scott's 92 S13

Hey guys! Always enjoyed reading other build threads so figured I would create one now that I'm making some progress on my 240. I actually ended up picking this car up back in 2017. I found it listed on Craigslist for a great price and drove down to Maryland with a couple buddies to pick it up. One of my friends thought I was crazy paying what I did for the car but I saw the parts that were included, and ended up making out like a bandit.

While on the hunt for a 240 I really only wanted two things, no rust and a hatch. I didn't even mind starting with a shell, because I wanted to get my hands in there and make it my own. I was coming from a Subaru and while it's a great car, it isn't the platform I wanted to go all out on.

Last edited by Avayo; 07-15-2020 at 07:03 PM..
Avayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2020, 04:24 PM   #2
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
This is approved for now. Update with some actual build thread progress or this will most likely be closed.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:20 PM   #3
Avayo
Zilvia Member

First thing was first, I had to get that Silvia front end off. Before I even had the car I knew I wanted to run the kouki/type x aero on the car. I scored some parts from a forum member and it was a great start to the pop-up conversion.

Next up was fixing the damage on the quarter panel. It was a pretty nasty dent but instead of slapping overs on it and calling it a day I had it repaired.

After some going back and forth I decided to pull the SR outta there so I can paint the bay and patch up some holes. I have no intention on keeping this car blue so it had to happen eventually anyway. The battery tray was cut out pretty badly imo. Same deal on the other side. I had my buddy weld in some new metal so when I run the new intercooler piping it'll look nice and clean.

Just a little test fit with new fenders and bumper featuring my little man

Last edited by Avayo; 07-15-2020 at 07:20 PM..
Old 07-16-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
Avayo
Zilvia Member

My plans for this car are a full interior, fun street car that could also handle a track day here and there. I decided to ditch the sr and go for a jz. I ended up selling the turbo kit and engine for what I paid for the entire car! Headed down to Jersey to an engine importer and came home with this anchor.

I got the engine on the stand and started to tear it down. I replaced damn near everything maintenance related and tried cleanin it up best I could.

Cams pulled to replace the valve stem seals

Prepped for paint

Powder coated upper oil pan

New oil pick up tube and lower oil pan

Real Street billet timing tensioner bracket vs stock cast bracket prone to breaking

New water/oil pump, re-built and cerakoted cam gears

Powder coated valve covers to match the catch can

Radium press in AN fittings

Old 07-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #5
Avayo
Zilvia Member

Decided on running a tucked radiator instead of notching the support. Had to do a little cutting for clearance but welded in some new plates to cap it off.

Touge Factory catch can looking right at home in the corner

Would've loved running a v160 but the prices on those things are hard to wrap my head around. So I went with the cd paired with the serialnine conversion kit. I've heard great things about this kit so hopefully does the job. Also went with some Freed engineering/Cusco mount kit to swap it in.

Last edited by Avayo; 07-17-2020 at 07:48 AM..
Old 07-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #6
Avayo
Zilvia Member

Picked up a set of Z32 aluminum calipers and e-brake assembly. I was going to just rattle can them a gloss black but decided against that and had them sent off to be powder coated. I'm really glad I did because they came out awesome.

Couldn't help myself and pulled out a wheel to see what they would look like. Going to be running 17x9 +22 square set up on this car.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #7
JIMB0
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
JIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
cant beat Kouki and TE's!
Old 07-17-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Wow, great parts on an exciting build
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:42 PM   #9
Avayo
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMB0 View Post
cant beat Kouki and TE's!
Agreed! Timeless combo. Looking forward to seein yours back from paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Wow, great parts on an exciting build
Thank you man! Got a long road ahead but should be pretty awesome once its done
Old 07-20-2020, 12:50 PM   #10
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Now this is nice.
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:51 PM   #11
Avayo
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_crew10 View Post
Now this is nice.
Thanks bro! I'm trying the "do it right the first time method" lol

Like I said before, interior will be left in tact. Picked up some zeta 3's even though I kind've wish I just went with some oem 180sx seats.

Obviously need a Nardi classic to continue that cookie cutter theme

And a cross bar for the extra scene points...But seriously hoping this adds some rigidity to the car since I'm not running some fancy cage
Old 07-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #12
Avayo
Zilvia Member

Since the car came with the Silvia front I had to pick up some pop up headlights. I got a set for cheap but of course they're old and seen better days so I sourced some new hardware. Kind've crazy you can still get new parts for this car, thanks to the boys at nissanparts.

New vs old

Old 09-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #13
Avayo
Zilvia Member

Came so close to giving up on this car and parting it out for something else but decided I should just stick with it. Luckily I've got some good friends that talked me out of it. Plan is to place the engine in there next so I can see how much room I need to make for the CD.

Also sourced the rest of the exterior bits for the car.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:16 AM   #14
Fuglychuki91
Zilvia Member

Fuglychuki91 is on a distinguished road
Nice update man!
Fuglychuki91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #15
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by avayo View Post

cookie cutter theme
paint it red
Old 09-25-2020, 04:54 PM   #16
Avayo
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuglychuki91 View Post
Nice update man!
Thanks man, hopefully more to come soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_crew10 View Post
paint it red
I know right, it?s on my list lol Been done so many times but it?s so damn good.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:52 PM   #17
Avayo
Zilvia Member

Had some time today to finally drop the engine in for a test fit. Now I can get a better idea on where I need to clear the trans tunnel. Overall super happy with how it sits in there. Dying to order more parts and get it going. Debating on selling the Subaru to fund this car. It would really help push it over the finish line.

Old 01-03-2021, 07:56 AM   #18
Avayo
Zilvia Member

Little end of the year update. Decided to list up the sti for sale a few weeks ago to free up some space/money for the 240. Luckily lined up a buyer in the first 24 hours it was listed and got my full asking price.

I started looking around for someone willing to tackle the paint and body work on the 240. I was kind've surprised a couple shops I talked to weren't interested in any restoration work. I guess it worked out because while waiting to hear back from a few different options I spotted a MK4 Supra for sale.

I've wanted one of these cars for roughly 6 years now. Right around the same time the price on them skyrocketed. I was getting married, having a couple kids so it just didn't work out for me then. Then I saw this one owner, all original car pop up and knew it was now or never. It's a usdm n/a auto car with only 51k miles. I still can't believe I was able to find one un molested and not missing anything. The car feels like an absolute time capsule.

It needs a little paintless dent removal and a good detail but overall for its age it's in excellent condition. For now I'm just going to enjoy it as is while I acquire the parts I want for it. Will be pretty basic, 97-98 headlights/taillights, front lip yada yada. And then eventually GTE/6 speed swap.

For now the 240 will go on the back burner unfortunately. But I still would like to keep it for my son or daughter. Hoping at least one of them will be a car nut like me.

Happy New Year guys!
Old 01-04-2021, 05:29 PM   #19
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
in for supra posting
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:44 PM   #20
-kenny-
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
-kenny- is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wow this is gonna be a nice build.
Bonus point for Supra
-kenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:02 AM   #21
S13project
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
S13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Digging the attention tho the little things. In for more
Old 01-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #22
Avayo
Zilvia Member

Appreciate the kind words fellas. Hopefully more to come soon!
Old 01-06-2021, 09:15 AM   #23
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
k00laid83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I want a Supra so bad. That's one of my dream cars as well. Great Find!

Facebook or Instagram:@tightfitfab
Email: [email protected]
Check Us Out At: www.tightfitfab.com
k00laid83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:24 AM   #24
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

In b4 partout!
Old 04-05-2021, 07:44 PM   #25
Avayo
Zilvia Member

I don't have too much to update but I did finally get my turbo kit which was a big hurdle. There's so many options out there it took awhile to decide on what would suit my needs the best. I ended up with a g30-900 with a turbo smart 50 mill waste gate.

Also the parts pile for the supra is starting to add up. As of now my plans are to continue the 240 build with my vvti engine and CD trans. The supra came from the factory with a TT auto diff (A02D for my supra guys) which is a 3.7 LSD. Turns out that pairs pretty well with the Grannas T56 kit. So at some point I'll use that for my trans and then build the GE with a GTE head, PHR turbo kit yada yada. That'll be a project for the future because to be honest, it's just not in my budget right now.

But I did want to start sourcing parts while I can get them bnib

Then there's this goofy ass Camry wheel the 93-97 has for god knows what reason

So I sourced a nice three spoke for it

That's really it for now. Next up for the 240 are clutch and injectors, then ill be able to get the engine and trans in for my buddy to work his magic on the welder.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:33 AM   #26
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Great looking stuff you have going here man. I like the idea of notching the lower rad support like that.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:11 AM   #27
hiimelvin

Trader Rating: (3)
hiimelvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Beautiful builds so far. Great attention to detail and really tasteful mods. Good call on that Supra steering wheel.
hiimelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #28
Avayo
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Great looking stuff you have going here man. I like the idea of notching the lower rad support like that.
Thank you man, I appreciate that. Yeah I kind?ve figured if I had to cut and remove anything I?d add some back. Plus looks a little cleaner once it?s painted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimelvin View Post
Beautiful builds so far. Great attention to detail and really tasteful mods. Good call on that Supra steering wheel.
Thank you man! Yeah that old wheel is terrible, I don?t know what they were thinking haha
Old 08-15-2021, 07:40 AM   #29
Avayo
Zilvia Member

Nothing too crazy to update but I have gotten a few things done on both cars.

Engine dropped in temporarily

Found this sound deadening on Amazon. Had really good reviews and way cheaper than Dynamat. Figured why not, couldn't hurt anything. Started on the firewall and covered basically everywhere.

Dash support looked like it came from the bottom of the ocean so gave it a little elbow grease. Hit it with some sand paper, primered, and some rattle can paint.

A new carpet that needed to be trimmed to fit. Wasn't too bad getting it in there, just need to take your time.

Obligatory supra pic

Front bumper picked up from paint ready to go on with the updated lights. I'm currently finishing that swap. Needed to splice some wires for the new turn signals.

Also got around to installing the new wheel.

Old

New
Old 10-05-2021, 11:49 AM   #30
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Both of these have me drooling. Great stuff Scott!
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote