Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #3481
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
xpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Are you replacing all the used parts that have old freon, in them, with new parts? Condensor, lines, drier, etc.

My a/c went out on the 180sx one day and i haven't bothered to fix it mostly because i don't know where some of the parts are in the system. ie. the expansion valve.
xpinoyxmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #3482
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpinoyxmk View Post

My a/c went out on the 180sx one day and i haven't bothered to fix it mostly because i don't know where some of the parts are in the system. ie. the expansion valve.
The expansion valve is inside the evaporator housing
Old 03-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #3483
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpiton View Post
Hey man it was good talking to you via txt today... I decided to check back on my favorite build thread and see the status or the car. You mentioned that you’ve been working on the car this winter and we are all excited to see how things are going. We should definitely meet up sometime in the near future. I got a few buddy’s with some nice s14’s.

Tom
Same to you Tom! Appreciate the info you passed along. Feel free to text me updates on your car any time. Would love to see it someday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpinoyxmk View Post
Are you replacing all the used parts that have old freon, in them, with new parts? Condensor, lines, drier, etc.

I did not install AC, so I can't say I have too much experience with that. I removed the portion under the dash inside the large plastic box since the holes for it are welded shut in the engine bay but I wanted to retain the use of heat. There's a chance I may attempted to install AC next winter, but not sure I will follow through with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
The expansion valve is inside the evaporator housing
Thanks for helping him out- I learned a lot about the general HVAC system and heat portion, but not much about AC just yet haha.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

So, quick update- I was able to get the car out of the garage for the first time since last November yesterday. It was sunny and 55ยบ here in Michigan which is quite an accomplishment for us during March. Unfortunately the temps won't be staying this way and it will continue to be high 30s- mid 40s for a few more weeks. Hopefully we don't get any more snow or ice though to keep the salt off of the roads.

I was only able to drive the car about a mile or so since I don't have insurance or current registration on it at the moment, but I have to say it was pretty amazing with the newly installed Dynamat and HVAC system. It feels so strange to have heat blowing out of the vents for a change! What an improvement. I'll have to post more about my impression of the sound deadening later after I can put some more mileage on it, but at this point I would say it was definitely worth the effort.

I didn't do a ton to the car this winter (if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?) but here is a quick laundry list of the projects I tackled over the winter:

Dynamat: I installed Dynamat through the entire interior of the car. I also worked to seal any holes I found to prevent water or air from entering the cabin on long drives. Hopefully these problems are finally behind me now!

HVAC & Heat: I had previously removed the entire HVAC system when I shaved the engine bay in the winter of 2012 because the blower no longer worked and I wanted to use the space for the fuse boxes. This winter I sourced a complete HVAC setup (heat only) from an S13 that was being parted out and installed it. Happy to say everything works well now. This should allow me to enjoy driving the car a bit more often throughout the year and keep my wife a lot happier when we take the car on road trips.

I'd eventually like to convert to digital climate control as well one day, but we'll see.

OEM Brake Hard Lines: I removed the custom hard lines I made years ago when I shaved the engine bay, sealed up the holes, and reinstalled the factory Nissan hard lines that I sourced from a parts car. I am over the shaved engine bay look and wanted to bring back a bit of the factory appearance. My custom lines were also mounted along the firewall and I needed the space to reinstall the HVAC setup so they needed to go.

Head Unit: I swapped out my factory tape deck and DIN pocket for a Maxima unit after reading about it basically being the same as an optional kouki 180SX had unit on Restomod Ninja. I haven't finished bolting it up yet to try it out and I'm not totally sure I will stick with it, but I do like the factory look of it. I might still go with something with an iPhone interface and sacrifice the looks for functionality, but not sure yet. I still want to replace my speakers as well, but haven't gotten to it just yet.

Stalks, Window Switches, & Bezels: I installed new OEM window switch bezels as well as windshield wiper and turn signal stalks. I was also fortunate enough to have a set of factory window switches refreshed by Ron at Restomod Ninja. Haven't completed the install yet as I still want to do some sort of fabric on my door panels at some point, but I am really happy with these details- adds a lot to the interior!

Brake Caliper Refresh: I stripped and repainted my Z32 calipers all around. Same color and everything, they were just beginning to look a little worse for the wear. I debated having them powder coated, but I know the FSM advises against splitting the halves. Perhaps I'll do that at some point one day, who knows. My StopTech pads and rotors are still in good shape so I left those alone.

Looking forward to having the last little bugs sorted out and having the registration current so that I can start driving the car more often. Feels good to have the majority of the winter projects wrapped up and out of the way! I'm still deciding how I am going to tackle the rust issue on the roof- we'll see what happens!

CamryOnBronze.com

Last edited by CamryOnBronze; 03-21-2018 at 01:46 PM..
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #3484
Jo_Galezo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Jo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I always enjoy reading these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jo_Galezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:26 PM   #3485
lilpiton
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
lilpiton is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Same to you Tom! Appreciate the info you passed along. Feel free to text me updates on your car any time. Would love to see it someday!

It would be nice to meet up this summer on some nice meets.
I started my car today for the first time since December 2017... the newly installed Veilside catback is sounding pretty nice [emoji16][emoji106]

Good idea on the maxima Radio. I picked up the same radio about 2 yrs ago that I will be installing in my hatch haha. I got a Bluetooth cassette tape that links with an iPhone if that changes ur mine on keeping that one in. I love how good it flows with the whole interior. Definitely my favorite radio. Mine is I believe same thing but it says BOSE on the little cassette tape door [emoji16]
The more I read and see your posts the more questions I have for you and the more I realize how much things we do or plan to do the same haha.
Yea few more weeks and Chicago should get some warmer days as well, cant wait to test drive my Nismo subframe bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lilpiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:39 AM   #3486
Backintoans13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Backintoans13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Holy shit ive been gone for 5 yrs, trying to get back into the S chassis game, glad to see you have the car back again, looking beautiful as before
Backintoans13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #3487
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Dope dude, maybe hopefully I'll catch you out in Brighton this year!
Old 04-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #3488
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
perennial winner this car is
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #3489
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo_Galezo View Post
I always enjoy reading these
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpiton View Post
It would be nice to meet up this summer on some nice meets.
I started my car today for the first time since December 2017... the newly installed Veilside catback is sounding pretty nice [emoji16][emoji106]

Good idea on the maxima Radio. I picked up the same radio about 2 yrs ago that I will be installing in my hatch haha. I got a Bluetooth cassette tape that links with an iPhone if that changes ur mine on keeping that one in. I love how good it flows with the whole interior. Definitely my favorite radio. Mine is I believe same thing but it says BOSE on the little cassette tape door [emoji16]
The more I read and see your posts the more questions I have for you and the more I realize how much things we do or plan to do the same haha.
Yea few more weeks and Chicago should get some warmer days as well, cant wait to test drive my Nismo subframe bushings.
Would definitely be cool to meet up someday. I looked into those bluetooth cassettes a bit as well and was considering it- but I ended up leaving my terrible stock speakers in the car when I put it back together anyway. I swear someday I am going to spend some money on car audio, haha. Jealous of those NISMO bushings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintoans13 View Post
Holy shit ive been gone for 5 yrs, trying to get back into the S chassis game, glad to see you have the car back again, looking beautiful as before
Thanks for the kind words! Welcome back. A lot of things have changed but many things remain the same I'm sure. It's very difficult to quit these cars, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
Dope dude, maybe hopefully I'll catch you out in Brighton this year!
That would be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik View Post
perennial winner this car is
Much appreciated kind sir.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Not much of an update at the moment really. I drove the car about 150 miles or so two weeks ago to my friend Tim's house to visit and check out the progress on his build (which is found right here on Zilvia!) Pretty jealous of the fresh paint:

On the way home the car developed a strange misfire. I swapped in some fresh spark plugs and believe I have solved the problem, but haven't driven it much to confirm as it seems to keep snowing for some strange reason.

I'll have more updates on the way soon.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 04-14-2018, 05:51 AM   #3490
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I can't stop wanting TE's when I see your car. Someone sell me chrome 18's
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:11 PM   #3491
bpat
Zilvia Member

bpat is an unknown quantity at this point
How much of a difference can you tell with the new insulation?
bpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #3492
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
I can't stop wanting TE's when I see your car. Someone sell me chrome 18's
Definitely my all time favorite wheel. Works so well with the body lines of the 180SX in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpat View Post
How much of a difference can you tell with the new insulation?
I've only put one tank of gas through it since getting it out, but it absolutely makes a noticeable difference. I had removed all of the factory sound deadening previously so that may have been a factor, but you don't hear all of the creaks and rocks hitting the underside of the car nearly as much as you used to. All in all I would say it was worth the cost and effort to install it.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 05-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #3493
Magical Trevor
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Magical Trevor is a jewel in the roughMagical Trevor is a jewel in the roughMagical Trevor is a jewel in the roughMagical Trevor is a jewel in the roughMagical Trevor is a jewel in the roughMagical Trevor is a jewel in the roughMagical Trevor is a jewel in the roughMagical Trevor is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Magical Trevor
I'm really glad you went the dynamat route, Damon! So many changes to this car, it really does represent you and your changes throughout the years. Good to see you still chipping away at the smallest of details. Also, that restomod ninja stuff is amazing, book marked!
Magical Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #3494
STL240SXDRIFT
Zilvia Junkie

STL240SXDRIFT is an unknown quantity at this point
Checking in on some of my favorite builds and bumping some old stuff. Still making progress? UPDATES!?!
STL240SXDRIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #3495
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

^ Appreciate you checking in! I try to post on my website every Friday with the status of the car if anyone is interested at camryonbronze.com.

Still on Zilvia every day, just don't keep the build thread updated like I used to since I haven't done much "building" on it in a couple years now. Still dinking around as always though. Finishing up a brake pad and rotor replacement this weekend and then driving it to Wisconsin next weekend. After that it will be just about time to put the car away for the season.

Some recent pics:

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 10-19-2018, 05:25 PM   #3496
240sx_sr20det
Nissanaholic!

240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection
So good as always!
240sx_sr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #3497
Judeasaurus

Judeasaurus is a well-known jackass
You are one of my inspirations; thanks for having a clean non-fuckboy style 240 <3
Judeasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:41 AM   #3498
sXe240

sXe240 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just joined the site and bought my first s14. But I had to say I went through your whole build thread and this is just amazing work. You really put in the time and it shows. Gorgeous car!
sXe240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #3499
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I just realized this is 117 pages long. Holy cow!
Old 10-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #3500
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sx_sr20det View Post
So good as always!
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judeasaurus View Post
You are one of my inspirations; thanks for having a clean non-fuckboy style 240 <3
Appreciate the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe240 View Post
I just joined the site and bought my first s14. But I had to say I went through your whole build thread and this is just amazing work. You really put in the time and it shows. Gorgeous car!
Thank you very much and congrats on the S14! Appreciate you taking the time to read all of that, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
I just realized this is 117 pages long. Holy cow!
I have been doing stupid things for a pretty long time I guess, LOL.

Glad to see there is still some interest here on Zilvia. Maybe I'll try to keep this up to date as well as the blog if I am able to. Appreciate the kind words!

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 10-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #3501
PatPs13
Leaky Injector

PatPs13 will become famous soon enoughPatPs13 will become famous soon enoughPatPs13 will become famous soon enoughPatPs13 will become famous soon enoughPatPs13 will become famous soon enough
+1 on interest. I've picked up on a lot of cool info between reading this thread and your blog. Thanks for the cool content
PatPs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #3502
Ashchetum

Ashchetum is an unknown quantity at this point
For whatever reason I always thought you were in the Chicago area, not MI.
I've been a fan of your build since 2013, read the blog, inspired me to do my best with my s14.
I spend time with family in Mi, (Detroit area) and I'll actually be driving my S14 up from Indianapolis up to the Detroit area this weekend.
What part of MI are you from? Ever hit any of the great tracks in MI for a track day? Personal fav is Waterford Hills.
Ashchetum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #3503
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatPs13 View Post
+1 on interest. I've picked up on a lot of cool info between reading this thread and your blog. Thanks for the cool content
Thank you for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashchetum View Post
For whatever reason I always thought you were in the Chicago area, not MI.
I've been a fan of your build since 2013, read the blog, inspired me to do my best with my s14.
I spend time with family in Mi, (Detroit area) and I'll actually be driving my S14 up from Indianapolis up to the Detroit area this weekend.
What part of MI are you from? Ever hit any of the great tracks in MI for a track day? Personal fav is Waterford Hills.
That means a lot- I appreciate it! I do spend a fair amount of time in Chicago to visit friends and family out there, but it's about a four hour drive for me. Could be worse! I live near Ann Arbor.

Oddly enough I don't think I have ever been to any of the tracks in Michigan for events or even to hang out. I'm sure it will happen one day down the road, but it's really tough to find any free time these days.

__________________________________________________ _____

I posted the details about this on my blog, but someone tipped me off to some brand new old stock Nissan parts on eBay a while back that I couldn't pass up: A center console, shifter trim, ash tray, and headlight button. The seller also had some headlight bezels (these are still available brand new) so I snagged those as well to have on deck whenever I get around to painting this car someday.

The car is running really well right now and seems to be enjoying the cold weather. I drove it to Chicago and back over the weekend for a quick trip to celebrate the life of a friend that recently passed away and averaged 31 MPG on the trip- not bad for an old car! It's so nice to have the heat working again in the car this time of year. Driving with the windows up for once was a real treat. The new brakes felt great as well.

I am planning to drive the car until they salt the roads and then I can tuck it away for the year. No major plans for this car for the off season really. I keep thinking about changing wheels, but all of my friends tell me not to. I'm more or less "stuck" with the way the car sits right now- which I suppose is a good thing. I'll likely change the oil, throw some fresh spark plugs in, replace the front tires, and try to leave it alone otherwise until the spring.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 10-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #3504
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the bash looked awesome (from what I saw on IG). glad to see everyone had a good time and a proper tribute.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:08 AM   #3505
sXe240

sXe240 is an unknown quantity at this point
That's my next buy is getting new old Nissan interior trim parts. My center console and part of my dash is just falling apart.
sXe240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #3506
austinth0rnt0n

austinth0rnt0n is an unknown quantity at this point
I just spent a few days reading this thread from start to finish, and it was absolutely tremendous. Except for the break up with Ziliva phase lol. It's inspiring to see your work ethic through the 240 and how it changed as your life changed. Ever think of swapping the SR for the next phase?

Anyway, I still see the garage hasn't been painted lol. Keep up the awesome work.
austinth0rnt0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #3507
austinth0rnt0n

austinth0rnt0n is an unknown quantity at this point
I just spent a few days reading this thread from start to finish, and it was absolutely tremendous. Except for the break up with Ziliva phase lol. It's inspiring to see your work ethic through the 240 and how it changed as your life changed. Ever think of swapping the SR for the next phase?

Anyway, I still see the garage hasn't been painted lol. Keep up the awesome work.
austinth0rnt0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #3508
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinth0rnt0n View Post

That's a tall order, haha. Thanks for sitting through all of that and for the compliment.

I've never really considered putting anything but an SR20DET in my S13 to be honest. In fact, I am currently in the process of trying to build a second S13 (a coupe this time) that will also have an SR20DET in it. Why have more or less two of the same car? Good question. I don't have a good answer, lol. And yes, I doubt my garage is ever going to get painted at this rate...

I don't really keep this updated anymore, but I do try to post on my blog once a week if I can: www.camryonbronze.com

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 08-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #3509
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Hello Zilvia- I thought it might be fun to bring this thread back from the dead a bit and keep everyone up to date on my newest project- a 1992 Nissan 240SX coupe.

Images from the seller's listing:

I stumbled upon a listing for a stock '92 coupe down in Indiana last October. The owner had begun tearing it apart to build it and lost interest after sourcing a number of spare parts including an extra KA24, some black interior items, a power window conversion, and some other random stock parts from a vert he had parted out. My good friend Tim (owner of the red hatch posted previously in this thread) was looking for some decent KA24 engines for his drift car project at the time, so I sent the listing to him.

On the way home with the car...

I worked things out with the seller and convinced Tim to split the cost with me 50/50- I would keep the chassis and he would keep all of the included drivetrain items. We would split whatever we didn't need and sell it to try to recoup our costs. Tim was gracious enough to drive down to Indiana with his truck and trailer to pick it up and haul everything back to his parents' barn for us (the location where I did my first SR20 refresh on my hatch back in 2010 or so.)

After selling the items we didn't need, I ended up getting the rolling chassis for free. Despite having nearly 350k miles on it, it was actually a really clean platform to work from. There was the typical rust along the driver's side frame rail near the brake line, but the frame rails were clean and the rear quarters had never been rolled. I believe it spent most of its life in South Carolina which would explain the condition. It even had the stock exhaust on it.

With winter approaching, I elected to store the car at Tim's parents' barn until spring. During the off season I began to slowly collect the things I needed for the car, including a complete OEM Silvia front end and aero setup, panels to convert the brown interior to black, Silvia seatbelts, etc. I also parted out two additional S13 coupes that I bought locally during the winter to collect some spare parts and make some extra cash for the project. I ended up keeping the SR20 swap out of one of the part out cars to use in my own coupe and gave it a light refresh gradually throughout the winter, including a gasket kit, new water pump and oil pan, powder coated valve cover, NISMO engine mounts, fresh coolant and PCV hoses, etc.

The first coupe I parted out and kept the SR20 drivetrain from:

A few months later, the SR is refreshed and nearly ready to go into the car:

Mostly complete black interior swap with Silvia seatbelt conversion:

Last month Tim transported the car to his painter for me and had the rust repaired along the frame rail. After the repairs were complete, the bay was treated to a fresh coat of Nissan KH3 black. I elected to keep things simple and a bit more factory this time around by not shaving any of the holes and retaining the factory battery tray location. I have grown out of the wire tuck phase I went through on my hatch and wanted to keep a more of a stock appearance for the sake of simplicity.

About a week and half ago, the engine bay was finally complete and Tim was able to bring the car to my house. I took over my wife's spot in the garage and have gradually been completing some work on the car. It feels awesome and a bit nostalgic to be out working on a more in-depth S13 project again like I did many years ago with my hatch.

The front suspension was caked with 26 years of crud, so I dropped the front subframe and have gradually been working through refreshing everything. I hit the chassis with some fresh undercoating and painted the front subframe. It will be a while before I fully tackle the suspension and brakes as the engine bay and installation are the current priority.

Manual swap progress is moving along- much easier than it was on my GS400!

Speaking of SR20s, the refreshed engine is largely complete and just about ready to be installed. My hope is to wrap things up on that end and mate the engine to the transmission sometime this week before dropping it into the car- hopefully by the end of the weekend with any luck. Thankfully I am not in a big rush, so it's no big deal if it takes a bit longer.

So that's about where things stand. What's the plan for this car? Well, it's extremely similar to my hatch: simple modifications like a stock SR20DET swap, Silvia front end with full OEM aero, complete black interior, etc. The end game for me is to own two clean black examples of the S13 chassis- US cars converted to ones that more closely resemble their stock JDM counterparts with extremely light modifications like coilovers, suspension arms, wheels, and exhaust. It's a bit difficult to juggle owning both cars, but I am hoping over time I'll be able to achieve my goals. We'll see what happens.

And speaking of the hatch, I still have the car. I ended up selling my silver TE37s back in June and the car has just sort of been hibernating ever since. My hope is to have some new wheels for it by the spring, but we'll see how that goes. For now I am content wrenching on the coupe- though I definitely miss driving it at times.

I'll try to keep this updated from time to time. I am not sure how much traffic is left here these days, but I decided it might be fun to share updates here again instead of just lurking.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 08-22-2019, 12:26 AM   #3510
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Still lurking and watching here....
future is offline   Reply With Quote