Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 07-28-2003, 11:23 AM   #1
AceInHole
Autox Technician

Trader Rating: (0)
AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Awesome weekend for the SM S14's.

We had a double header event, autocrossing on saturday and sunday.

Saturday, I pulled out the new Victoracers on the z32 rims, as the final "mod" to my S14.

R-compound tires make a WORLD of difference compared to street tires. There's a lot less warning that you're about to break traction, but there's soooo much more traction available! My first run was great.... but my 2nd run was pushed too hard and my 3rd I hit a pylon turning in too quickly through a slalom (the steering response is soo much quicker). I ended up losing out to 1st place because of that pylon.... which SUCKS. My co-driver for that event (Drifting Ricer on this board.... who doesn't really post here anymore actually) wasn't able to do so well... probably bummed about his car not being ready for the event. Jeff (JMCN on FA, http://www.jmcn.com) in his KAt mcS14 placed 3rd, about 2 seconds behind IIRC.

Sunday, I had my Jeff co-drive my car since during fun runs on Sat. we determined my car is better suited for autocross (more word on that in the end). We started out with me in 1st in the class and him in 2nd, both a good distance away from 3rd. We kept upping our times by a good second or so with each run. Each run through though, people were noticing that the car was getting faster and faster. Watching the car on the back slalom looked like it was zipping through a straightaway!! In the end, though, Jeff nudged me out of 1st due to my love of kissing pylons. Actually, people watching could've SWORN that pylon was still standing... and touching the box, but if it was called in, it's too late. We ended up 1st and 2nd for the event less than 1 sec. from each other (me with the fastest RAW time )

The car ran beautifully. Adjustments to the turbo setup resulted in even QUICKER boost response, and no boost dropoff through the rev range. It would spike a psi or so higher initially, but that was fine since I was only running 8psi, and the setup has gone to 12. Driving the car, the small spike wasn't even noticeable. Having been co-driven 3 times already (3 drivers at the last autox event, 2 drivers each day this weekend) is even more proof of the setup's reliability, IMO (it also proves I'm the better welder, lol).

On Sunday we had an instructor (Phil Kogan, who finished 12th at last year's National Championship) ride along for some tips and tricks (you really do have to re-learn a lot of things changing to race tires). He helped us out a LOT, from things like tire pressures to timing the throttle inputs to turning in. It seemed that he REALLY wanted us to abuse the brakes more, and abuse the power more, commenting that the brakes on my car were very good, and the power delivery even better (something about feeling like an M3). He seemed like he was really impressed by the response of the engine, with no lag from the turbo. Jeff, who was used to a straight T4 turbo, was told to get on the gas later, because you don't have to wait for the power. I think Jose (drifting Ricer) summed it up as "when you want power, it's right there."

So.... this weekend felt great, and dismissed a lot of doubts I had about my car and my abilities. I'm sooooo frickin' proud of my work with my S14 now.... can't wait to get started on the next new project with the S14 being "done"

Last edited by AceInHole; 07-28-2003 at 11:28 AM..
AceInHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2003, 06:11 PM   #2
fastpace
Zilvia Addict

fastpace is an unknown quantity at this point
it is great to see that you had a good weekend autoxing. we had autoxing, but just fun runs. the car felt great, but could have done better if I had better rear tires.

so what is your next project?

"well, I go out, I do the practice, I think about it and I concentrate on one small thing I can change that will have an effect. I make that change then I go out and drive to my maximum." -Ayrton Senna
fastpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 10:22 PM   #3
MovinUp-1
Zilvia Member

MovinUp-1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Congratulations!

It's great to hear that you were able to step up to the higher grip levels quickly and kick some butt.
MovinUp-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:56 AM   #4
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
Sounds Awesome man! Glad you got your Mojo back.

Are the results posted somewhere?
Old 07-30-2003, 08:32 AM   #5
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
Re: Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally posted by MovinUp-1
It's great to hear that you were able to step up to the higher grip levels quickly and kick some butt.
Yeah... took 3 runs on Sat just to realize at least the general limit of the tires, then 3 runs Sunday (with the help of an instructor, Phil Kogan [who placed 12th at 2002 Nats in DSP]) to realize just how much more grip we still weren't using!!

Results for the 26th: http://www.ner.org/soloII/solo2003/e...lim_class.html

Results for the 27th:
http://www.ner.org/soloII/solo2003/e...lim_class.html