Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
DFWZenki
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
DFWZenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
S14 Water Neck/Turbo Lines ?'s

Ive recently purchased a S13 SR20DET. It has a upgraded stock T28 turbo. I've done some research, and read about swapping the water neck with an S14 water neck to take advantage of the coolant fitting there. But i have a few questions:

1) If i purchase a Steel braided Line Kit, Can i just get an S14 kit, or do i get the bottom-mount S13 kit and custom fab a coolant line to the new neck?

2) If a simple kit choice is not an option, What size is the fitting on the S14 Water Neck so i can put together a custom AN hose?

If there is anything else that i need to do to make this swap done, please let me know. Thanks!!
DFWZenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
just get the kit for s-14.

then you can cut the water line behind the head and clean up the water lines for the heater core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
DFWZenki
Zilvia Member

Nice. Thats what i was hopeing for, simple solution. Ill get the S14 kit. Thanks for the help JAPSLAPSILVIA!
This is the kit i picked out. If any one knows anything negative about this brand or kit please let me know. THanks!
DIF S14 SR20DET Turbo Coolant & Oil Lines Kit - Water Return to Water Neck / Restrictor 0.062"
Old 11-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
srstan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
srstan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
that looks good. the ISIS s14 kit is good as well. I have an s13 sr with an s14 water neck and the kit works great
srstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
DFWZenki
Zilvia Member

Awesome! Ill check it out. Thanks for the help. And from what ive found, i believe the fitting on the water neck is M14x1.5. Could be wrong. Still researching.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWZenki View Post
Awesome! Ill check it out. Thanks for the help. And from what ive found, i believe the fitting on the water neck is M14x1.5. Could be wrong. Still researching.

Correct it is M14 1.5, that is the same size that is used for the turbos water in and out, as well as the water feed from the block. The kit u linked includes all 4 of those fittings.

also im in irving if u need help LMK.

Quote:

Quote:
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
DFWZenki
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japslapsilvia View Post
Correct it is M14 1.5, that is the same size that is used for the turbos water in and out, as well as the water feed from the block. The kit u linked includes all 4 of those fittings.

also im in irving if u need help LMK.

Awesome! Thanks for the response. Im just about to start cleaning up this motor a little bit and hopefully dropping it in in the next few months. First time with an SR. Probably have a few questions. I appreciate the offer man. Thanks!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:24 AM   #8
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
The only thing you'd have to figure out is how to cap the waterline coming from the back of the engine if you decide to use an S14 waterneck.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:39 AM   #9
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
The only thing you'd have to figure out is how to cap the waterline coming from the back of the engine if you decide to use an S14 waterneck.

all that has to be done is cut the return line before it goes behind the head. that will do 2 things. it will remove turbo return line, and it will make the water lines for the heater core very simple and accessable.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-29-2016, 11:14 PM   #10
rightcoastimports
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
rightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
sorry to bring this back but has anyone installed this s14 water line on s13 sr t25 without removing the turbo? i just put the neck on and i have the line but the fitting is in such a tight spot under the manifold.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:31 PM   #11
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was able to tighten that inside -AN hose end to the fitting on the turbo using a wrench from below. There was just barely enough space to turn the nut a bit at a time. But if I had to remove (or install) the fitting into the turbo, I don't think I would have been able to do it.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #12
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Just pull the turbo/manifold off.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #13
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightcoastimports View Post
sorry to bring this back but has anyone installed this s14 water line on s13 sr t25 without removing the turbo? i just put the neck on and i have the line but the fitting is in such a tight spot under the manifold.

Like ^ said pull the Mani off. I just did my lines on my s13 sr a few weeks ago and you will have piece of mind knowing you put the lines and fitting in correctly with enough torque

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #14
rightcoastimports
Zilvia Addict

rightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond repute
TRUEEEE, i did it a few years back and already have braided lines etc so was trying to avoid buying all new gaskets and doing it again but may have to... or just leave it and plug the hole for now.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #15
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
TRUEEEE, i did it a few years back and already have braided lines etc so was trying to avoid buying all new gaskets and doing it again but may have to... or just leave it and plug the hole for now.

That's what I did until I got s14 lines.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:13 AM   #16
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
TRUEEEE, i did it a few years back and already have braided lines...
Wait, so do you already have braided lines INSTALLED on your car, with the coolant line connected behind the head?
Old 12-01-2016, 01:33 AM   #17
rightcoastimports
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
Wait, so do you already have braided lines INSTALLED on your car, with the coolant line connected behind the head?
I have braided oil and water feed, water return is stock connected behind the head. I bought the neck for the temp sensor port mainly but enjuku hooked me up with just the isr S14 return line.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #18
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
I have braided oil and water feed, water return is stock connected behind the head. I bought the neck for the temp sensor port mainly but enjuku hooked me up with just the isr S14 return line.

I have the same neck, just make sure to clean up the casting and threads. Just plug the water feed on the neck for now until you get that water line and the hoses for the heater core

Old 12-02-2016, 08:39 PM   #19
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I drilled and tapped my S13 SR water neck and put on a barb for the turbo coolant line.
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #20
rightcoastimports
Zilvia Addict

well i was just going to plug the stock line where the barb connects behind the head. with no hard lines behind my motor its pretty easy to get your hands back there. running the s14 line with the turbo on is proving pretty difficult.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:18 PM   #21
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

I know you already bought the parts, but if you just need a connect a temp sender you could either tap the existing water neck or use a water neck adapter. I just wouldn't want to remove the turbo for that coolant line, run into hardware or gasket problems and the whole job turn into a big headache.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:42 AM   #22
rightcoastimports
Zilvia Addict

s14

Quote:
I know you already bought the parts, but if you just need a connect a temp sender you could either tap the existing water neck or use a water neck adapter. I just wouldn't want to remove the turbo for that coolant line, run into hardware or gasket problems and the whole job turn into a big headache.
The ISR neck is already installed and I have a sensor in it already. I'll just plug the hole for the return line for now no big deal
Old 12-03-2016, 08:08 AM   #23
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

It's not that easy. Just plugging the line behind the head runs a leak risk big time, not to mention is under the heater hose. When I did mine, I cut the tube before the 90* behind the head and used napa hoses and they're literally right there. No behind the head bs and no worries about a cap falling off. Just don't forget to bead roll your new cut

Old 12-05-2016, 07:34 AM   #24
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^ I did something similar if I remember correctly. I cut the tube where he did and just flared the end by putting a tool (screwdriver?) in the tube and pulling the lip out in circles. Capped it and it has never leaked on me.
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:53 AM   #25
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
yes I tried the capping first and it blew off...I cut before it bends behind the motor and used new water heater hose...I should flare mine but haven't had any leaks...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:34 PM   #26
Liam pink

Liam pink is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Does having the water from your turbo coming out right next to the temp sensor effect your water temp readings. Thinking of going the same route but thought having water come from the turbo would give you bad readings.
Liam pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:24 PM   #27
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
If the water coming out of the turbo is hot enough to show up on the gauge you have much bigger problems

homework assignment:
figure out the flow rate of typical oem water pump in terms of engine rpm
find heat capacity of water and total cooling system volume of water
be able to estimate how much energy it takes in Watts to heat 4L of water from 180*F to 200*F
find flow rate for typical turbocharger water cooling lines in terms of mass per unit time and then use the information above to show that for a varying degree of turbocharger water return temperature figures the difference is laregly negligible once the mass hits overall established cooling reservoir volume (water available for heat transfer in the upper radiator hose and radiator at that instant)
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:27 PM   #28
Liam pink

Liam pink is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
If the water coming out of the turbo is hot enough to show up on the gauge you have much bigger problems

homework assignment:
figure out the flow rate of typical oem water pump in terms of engine rpm
find heat capacity of water and total cooling system volume of water
be able to estimate how much energy it takes in Watts to heat 4L of water from 180*F to 200*F
find flow rate for typical turbocharger water cooling lines in terms of mass per unit time and then use the information above to show that for a varying degree of turbocharger water return temperature figures the difference is laregly negligible once the mass hits overall established cooling reservoir volume (water available for heat transfer in the upper radiator hose and radiator at that instant)
Way to confuse me 😂. I just know turbos get fucking hot so thought the water coming out of them might effect the gauge reading. But good to know not.
Liam pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #29
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Honestly according to the optimal turbo water line routing as per Garrett, the way the sr20 turbo water lines are routed isn't optimal at all anyways. There's no way to have straight shot hoses like Garrett wants.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote