Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
blackcoupe
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
blackcoupe is a jewel in the roughblackcoupe is a jewel in the roughblackcoupe is a jewel in the roughblackcoupe is a jewel in the roughblackcoupe is a jewel in the roughblackcoupe is a jewel in the roughblackcoupe is a jewel in the roughblackcoupe is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! start up issue.

Lately I've been having start up issues. Here is the thing that confuses me, it starts when it wants to. There are time where it'll start perfectly fine then later in the day I'll have to sit a few minutes and then try again and it'll start up fine.

this is a s14 SR in an S13. When it doesnt start all auxilary, interior stuff work fine including headlights.

First things first I checked the starter, took it off and the thing looks damn new. I took it too Kragen to get it checked out. Starter and Solenoid checked out fine and passed.

My battery also checks out fine and passes the kragen test.

So I assume its the ignition switch. I check it and its fine.

I played with it with a screw driver so I know its not getting stuck, and I was still able to replicate the problem of not starting.

I've tried adding more grounds - it helped with a stronger startup, but the problem is still there when it happens.

Can this be a wiring issue? I figure a wiring issue would render the car unable to start up all the time and not whenever it wants to.

I've heard of jumpin the relay, but isn't this for cars that use to be automatic? my car was manual for as long as I can remember.

any suggestions and help pleaseeee. I can still drive it on a daily basis, but this problem is annoying as hell!

thaaaaaanks.
blackcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
dakine240
Leaky Injector

dakine240 is a name known to alldakine240 is a name known to alldakine240 is a name known to alldakine240 is a name known to alldakine240 is a name known to alldakine240 is a name known to alldakine240 is a name known to alldakine240 is a name known to alldakine240 is a name known to alldakine240 is a name known to alldakine240 is a name known to all
check your starter relay
dakine240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JRas
yep, I'm guessing it's a relay

do you get any noises when you try to start it?
Old 08-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
blackcoupe
Zilvia Member

blackcoupe is a jewel in the roughblackcoupe is a jewel in the roughblackcoupe is a jewel in the roughblackcoupe is a jewel in the roughblackcoupe is a jewel in the roughblackcoupe is a jewel in the roughblackcoupe is a jewel in the roughblackcoupe is a jewel in the rough
I believe it has something to do with the clutch switch. I was able to replicate the issue. While tryin to crank, kicking the clutch a few times would enable the car to start back up.
blackcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
buckaroo
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
buckaroo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i had a simliar problem, but i replaced the starter, battery, and ig swtcih.

I got fedup enough that I just decided to feed wires directly to the starter and i bought a momentary toggle switch at advance auto and i just start using that now. Im not sure if that could work for you but its worth a try and is under 20bucks
buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
koukimonster139
Zilvia FREAK!

koukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to koukimonster139
my s14 sr did that after initial startup, like the first week, then it stopped

i dunno