Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:24 AM   #1
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
S14 Part Shop max / PBM coilover clearance/setup issues

Hello,
Thank you for clicking on this thread. I must apologize for the wall of text in advance.
I have some concerns about the suspension on my S14 and I wanted to hear from others who have a similar setup and can help me out. Pics are below the text.

Background info:

I have a 1996 S14. I restored the underchassis many years ago. At that time I also redid the suspension entirely.
Up front, I have new oem S14 LCA, OEM knuckles freshened up and I have Part shop max competition coilovers for the S14 (Front 10k, Rear 8K).
Up front there is nothing aftermarket except the coilovers.

I believe these are the ones, but I purchased mine in 2014.

https://store.partsshopmax.com/shop/...ers/COS14.html

I installed them out of the box, I don't remember if they were preloaded or if I adjusted them to have a slight preload, but the springs are not loose.
Springs are also not super compressed, just snug between the perches.
Lower mount is also flush with the bottom of the strut tube. I think I may be able to get more height out of it if I unwind the mount down below the threaded portion (not sure if that is safe to do as the load would be concentrated on a lower amount of threads)

I may have followed this thread
https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=587571

I know I have some camber right now just from switching over to these coils. The car has not moved since installation in 2014, so I can't tell you what my alignment currently is. I'll snap a picture tonight.

I can't remember if there was an eccentric camber bolt on the S14 or not when I did it. I will be checking that tonight. When I purchased new oem hardware, I'm 99% sure that they were just bolts.

https://www.nissanparts.cc/oem-parts...ItNGwtbDQtZ2Fz

Issue

It seems that my tire is really close to the springs on the front. I'd say about 1 - 1.5mm. The wheels are factory S14 SE wheels on some 205/55/ R16s.
It just feels that it is way too close.

Does anyone else have their springs that close to the tire?

If I am this close just on oem SE wheels [ 16 x 6.5 +45 on 205 / 55 / R16 ],
then when I swap over to my hot wheels [ 18 x 9 +20 on 225 / 40 / R18 ],
using
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...h=9&offset2=20

I'm going to be about 7mm closer to the strut than I already am.

-----

Front camber setting ( factory PBM setting )

S14 coilovers by A P, on Flickr

-----

View of front coilover ( looking towards rear of car )

-----

Close up of the clearance

-----

Rear coilover clearance ( view from rear of car facing the front, just as a reference )

-----

Thanks!

Last edited by collegekid; 05-31-2022 at 02:05 PM..
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2022, 08:39 AM   #2
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I had to manipulate my coilover at the knuckle so take some camber out of the front so my wheel didnt touch the springs. been like that for years. If nothing touches, I wouldn't worry about it.
tuzzio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:47 AM   #3
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
I had to manipulate my coilover at the knuckle so take some camber out of the front so my wheel didnt touch the springs. been like that for years. If nothing touches, I wouldn't worry about it.
Hey Tuzzio,
Thanks for the response. How did you manipulate it? I see the lower mount has some camber built into it.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:16 AM   #4
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
Hey Tuzzio,
Thanks for the response. How did you manipulate it? I see the lower mount has some camber built into it.
I loosened the bolts. Pulled the knuckle as far away as I could, and tightened them. And just use my top hats to adjust camber as I don't need a lot for a street car
Old 05-31-2022, 02:58 PM   #5
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks more like 3mm to me (1/8"). On the small side of OK.

Tight tire to coilover clearance in front is typical if you have stock-offset wheels (OEM S14 SE wheels are +40mm not 45.) The "hot wheels" you have will still fit better... the wheel lip will be 12mm closer but the tire sidewall will be 10mm further away thanks to the stretch. It'll fit.

Lots of coilover manufacturers slot the upper hole to give you some wiggle room on the lower side, you could oval out those top holes slightly without compromising the strength of the lower mount. Or you could use eccentric bolts there.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:11 AM   #6
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

I did not forget about this thread, just had other things come up.
So I have about 1-2mm of clearance.
I stuck a credit card (no raised lettering) and it barely clears in between the tire and spring.

I reached out to PBM around the same time as making this thread.

What I understand from his email is that this is normal and these are my options:

1. I can do tuzzio's trick as there is some slop built into the lower mount top hole
2. I can add a small spacer to get clearance, apparently up to 7mm is fine on stock studs
3. I can reverse the lower mount, which will give me more positive camber and use my upper mount to get some negative camber if I need it. This is a more drastic camber change since the mounting holes are offset

Since I spent a shitload of money to buy wheels that fit my car in sizes that should work, I'm going to do what I can to not run spacers.

I have a shitload of 18 x 9 + 20 wheels and I have a pair of 18 x 9 + 10.
I will have to test fit the wheels with a tire on it and see what it gets me to although I already know itll be close if not touching.

The rim itself will not touch, but the tire to spring clearance is where I'm hesitant.
Anyway, I'll post a follow up whenever I get some tires mounted.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...h=9&offset2=20

For those with newer coilovers, this was something else I saw

https://store.partsshopmax.com/shop/...ct-description

Since I have the older ones, my thread spec is different they won't work on my car.

1 mm clearance by A P, on Flickr

Cook over clearance by A P, on Flickr
Old 06-06-2022, 10:04 AM   #7
tuzzio
Post Whore!

I just looked at that photo and now everything I own is covered in anti seize as well. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:12 AM   #8
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Untitled by A P, on Flickr

bonus

Untitled by A P, on Flickr
Old 06-07-2022, 09:53 AM   #9
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
You can have the top bolt holes slotted to allow the tire wheel to pivot on the lower hole away from the perch. KW and various others have this built into their lower mounts from the factory. I have mine pulled out at the top and adjusted my camber with the plates up top.