Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:16 AM   #31
ranisron
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
ranisron is making a name for him/her selfranisron is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ranisron
most high comp pistons for the DE is the 10.5 to 1 ratio. However, the E pistons can bump the compression all the way to 11 to 1 (correct me if I am wrong).

10.5 to 1 will run on pump gas no problem, and getting your ECU retuned for high comp application is recommended.

anything above 11:1 is unsafe for the KA (I think).
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #32
bouncin_180
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
bouncin_180 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
whats stock compression for a DE ... and where would i be able to get high comp pistons ... mostly i just find the low comp ones ...
bouncin_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #33
tre
Zilvia Junkie

tre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enough
You can walk into any piston maker and they've probably already made high comp pistons for the DE.

If you're feeling good with your milling capabilites. You can pick up SOHC flat top pistons, mill in valve releifs and mill the piston to lower the compression to 11:1
Old 06-15-2006, 11:27 PM   #34
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
the only company i have seen advertise high compression ka pistons is supertech. they have a 10.5:1 set that goes for around $400.

as far as cams go, i have seen people use s13 sohc cams in the de is that beneficial in this case or is jwt the way to go. what is the difference in the lift/duration? as you can tell, i have more questions than answers but i am looking to build an na ka for reliability over turbo/power. i know above 200whp is pretty much impossible but i would like to see someone hit it.
irritatedmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #35
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Quote:
Originally Posted by irritatedmax
the only company i have seen advertise high compression ka pistons is supertech. they have a 10.5:1 set that goes for around $400.

as far as cams go, i have seen people use s13 sohc cams in the de is that beneficial in this case or is jwt the way to go. what is the difference in the lift/duration? as you can tell, i have more questions than answers but i am looking to build an na ka for reliability over turbo/power. i know above 200whp is pretty much impossible but i would like to see someone hit it.

The SOHC cam doesnt fit the DE.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:29 AM   #36
tre
Zilvia Junkie

tre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by irritatedmax

When i'm done. I'll be over 200whp.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #37
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
When i'm done. I'll be over 200whp.
spread the love, what is your setup? i have a spare ka that i will be building soon and am thinking about just going back to stock for reliability/cost effective but please share your setup. my main concern is that it is my daily driver and i will be entering med school so i need reliability and money will probably get tighter after undergrad.
irritatedmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:22 AM   #38
tre
Zilvia Junkie

You want reliability. I'd just suggest Bolt ones. JWT cams/valve train and call it good.

This is my daily driver but i can catch a ride into work whenever it goes down and i have a spare engine in the garage. I'm doing all this experimentally.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #39
BlueBucket

BlueBucket is an unknown quantity at this point
Posted this a while back with no response. Figured I'd put it in here this time with hopes of better luck. I was going to do my lifters soon in my 89 KA and I figured I might as well gain some HP since they're gonna take the cam out anyway. Do have an idea what kinda HP I might get with this cam on a stock motor? I asked Summit and they said "there are to many variables to determine such as what header, what intake, what injectors you are using". I told them it was a STOCK motor. How can I make it any more clear!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only thing I have is a cone filter in place of airbox and a 2.5 exhaust.
Here is link, hope you can give a general idea.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
K&N cone filter, 2.5 exhaust
BlueBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:11 AM   #40
TURBI
Leaky Injector

TURBI is an unknown quantity at this point
So what are your n/a ka24 et's?

I did a [email protected] with my 5spd 91' (i/h/e). This was done with an open diff with 3yr old 215/35/18's. I spun the whole 1st gear and over revved 1st to 4th gear (7800rpm/no rev limit/I don't know why) and had a super crappy 2.599 60ft. With an lsd and better driving I should easily do high 14's on street tires.
TURBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #41
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
7800 rpms is kinda dangerous on the KA no?
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #42
TURBI
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by articdragon192
I was waiting for the rev limiter to kick in, but it never did. On neutral the fuel cuts very smoothly at 7800 rpm (tried this only once), unlike my 2001 1.8 sentra which feels like the motor is gonna explode from the rev limiter, or my stock 240 tach is just broken.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:29 PM   #43
ZenkiSilvia
Leaky Injector

ZenkiSilvia is making a name for him/her selfZenkiSilvia is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to ZenkiSilvia
s13 Hrmm

Any information about the xcessive motorsports intake manifold set up? Good gains? Quality? Any one have it even? =]
Comparitively to ITB's which would yield more bang for the buck?
Thanks.
ZenkiSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #44
HKSdrift3r
Zilvia Junkie

HKSdrift3r has a spectacular aura aboutHKSdrift3r has a spectacular aura aboutHKSdrift3r has a spectacular aura aboutHKSdrift3r has a spectacular aura aboutHKSdrift3r has a spectacular aura aboutHKSdrift3r has a spectacular aura about
As for the ITB's, i'd love to have them but there is no way i can afford or even set up a stand alone fuel management. Ive seen a member from NICO do ITB's but had a plenum in order to use the maf. Ive tried contacting him, but he never responded. Does any one know where I can buy the plenum or instructions as to how to make one??

-thx, George
HKSdrift3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:56 PM   #45
RephaYAH

RephaYAH is an unknown quantity at this point
wats fellas newbie here I'm really interested in this itb setup for the kade but wat happened hows the progress goin? anything new?
RephaYAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #46
shayrgob240
Zilvia Junkie

shayrgob240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to shayrgob240
Quote:
Originally Posted by articdragon192
doesn't make any sense either b/c the power curve decreases at higher RPMS.
shayrgob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #47
ranisron
Zilvia Addict

ranisron is making a name for him/her selfranisron is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to ranisron
7800 is wayyyyyyyyyy too high for a KA... the stock limit is below 7K...

I don't know... KA is a great motor for making torque, and it's definitely not a high rev motor...
Old 09-10-2006, 04:10 AM   #48
TURBI
Leaky Injector

So my tach must not be so accurate if the rev limiter should hit before 7000rpm. Also I don't feel any "ka falls flat on it's face after 6000rpm", my motor feels strong all the way to 6800rpm, maybe from the bolt-ons and shaved head.

Anyways, I still wish there was a bolt on centrifugal supercharger kit for the ka24de's. (at least 6psi)
Old 10-02-2006, 06:40 PM   #49
HKSdrift3r
Zilvia Junkie

HKSdrift3r has a spectacular aura aboutHKSdrift3r has a spectacular aura aboutHKSdrift3r has a spectacular aura aboutHKSdrift3r has a spectacular aura aboutHKSdrift3r has a spectacular aura aboutHKSdrift3r has a spectacular aura about
contact Thomas Knight at boosthead.com. He has made an S/C kit that is freakin' amazing. It uses the Eaton m62 blower. 175lb/tq at 2800 RPMS = teh sex
HKSdrift3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #50
TurboDaytona
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
TurboDaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
question, What about building an air box around the ITB's and then run a hose to or bolt the MAF on to the side of the air box? Then all you would need is something like the BIKI Rom setup and some dyno time and I think that would be a pretty good setup.

2nd question, Is the STOCK TB on the KADE actually 42mm? that seems very small to me. it looks more like 60mm. If it is 42mm, Isn't the KA-E 60mm? I know that is good upgrade for the VG30ET
TurboDaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:57 PM   #51
matt4pl

matt4pl is an unknown quantity at this point
a plenum for ITB's is a totally custom job. i had one made, but am no longer using it cause i went to standalone. the ITB's definately change the character of hte motor more then the peak power and teh sound is amazing.

PS: if anyone wants the plenum, email me
matt4pl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #52
RoyalFlush
Zilvia Member

RoyalFlush has a spectacular aura aboutRoyalFlush has a spectacular aura aboutRoyalFlush has a spectacular aura aboutRoyalFlush has a spectacular aura aboutRoyalFlush has a spectacular aura aboutRoyalFlush has a spectacular aura about
i know this is probably a stupid question, but i have no idea. are ITB's gonna decrease the life or dependability of your engine? will they last? any info would be great!
RoyalFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #53
TURBI
Leaky Injector

Maybe something like this would work. It's a fully built ka24de in a 72' 510 with mikuni side drafts and a t3/t4 turbo set up here on Saipan.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:13 AM   #54
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSdrift3r
As for the ITB's, i'd love to have them but there is no way i can afford or even set up a stand alone fuel management. Ive seen a member from NICO do ITB's but had a plenum in order to use the maf. Ive tried contacting him, but he never responded. Does any one know where I can buy the plenum or instructions as to how to make one??

-thx, George
e bay
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:49 PM   #55
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

Iceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymore
Cams decide were the power is made. The KA falls flat on its face because of the mild Stock cams.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:00 PM   #56
BBSilvia
Zilvia Addict

BBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BBSilvia
i just got a 89 240. its lacking power of course, yet i dont want to lose the n/a reliabilty. plus its my first car and my rents dont want me to have a turbo (so no sr) because it will be too fast of a first car. so im thinking about getting a 16 valve ka and swapping it with my 12 valve. then ill do basic bolt ons and ill be done. hoe does this sound?
Old 11-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #57
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
lol i have fallin in love with n/a ka's. once i am closed to being finished and relize that my setup is still to slow and itll cost way to much money to make an na ka faster then ill boost. lol
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #58
TurboDaytona
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
TurboDaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
are there any final results for this yet?
TurboDaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:55 PM   #59
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
yea id kinda like to see dyno sheets and more info. where ya at bigvinnie?
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #60
tre
Zilvia Junkie

I'm running ona weaker engine atm. But A stand alone system and i'd be good for about an 8Krpm rev.

Cam's i have in car power band starts at 4K. VERY streetable.