Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #1
na12uto
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
na12uto is making his/her stupidity well-knownna12uto is making his/her stupidity well-knownna12uto is making his/her stupidity well-knownna12uto is making his/her stupidity well-knownna12uto is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
What was your Mistake or Learning experience?

Let's hear your mistakes or Learning curves

Let me tell you about the time I welded my diff and didn't realize it needed fluid. Blown diff on freeway, no bueno.
Or the time I was installing some fenders but it was too late and thought ziptied fenders were fine. They caught air and cracked at the top
Old 02-12-2018, 11:49 PM   #2
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My mistake? Bought a 20 yr old 240 thinking I'd use it to commute to work. Been nothing but ass pain, so I parked it and it's old ass car problems.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:02 AM   #3
na12uto
Zilvia Addict

na12uto is making his/her stupidity well-knownna12uto is making his/her stupidity well-knownna12uto is making his/her stupidity well-knownna12uto is making his/her stupidity well-knownna12uto is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
My mistake? Bought a 20 yr old 240 thinking I'd use it to commute to work. Been nothing but ass pain, so I parked it and it's old ass car problems.

Sounds like my friends Facebook feeds who still try to daily theirs
Old 02-13-2018, 01:01 AM   #4
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
bad wiring harnesses are a pain.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #5
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
4 years ago I bought some wheels. Was so excited to put them on I forgot to tighten my lug nuts and one of the wheels came off while driving.

I double check my lugs nuts even if I didn't even take them off now haha.
JrDarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
tried starting girlfriends car with no crank sensor...car backfired after overfueling for a while...engine bay was on fire till I found the only fire retardant I had at the time...milk...to put it out...now have fire extinguisher and water!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Gutted my first 240 I got in 2008 at 17, probably the second day I had it. Threw every interior piece in the dumpster because I thought it was going to be a racecar. It had probably perfect interior.

Removing AC components from the engine bay when doing an sr20 swap instead of keeping functional heat and AC.

Both happened the same day...
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #8
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
Almighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
^ ouch!

I made the mistake of being too anxious when I was younger. I was always comparing my car to other people’s rides. I had a semi clean zenki but I wanted an s13, a kouki, a Toyota.. I wanted to experience it all right away lol. Bounced around between a handful of different chassis just trying to find the “right one”.
Kind of a waste of time and money lol. But very happy with the chassis I have now.
Almighty So is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #9
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
My biggest mistake was doing drugs for the first time 10 years ago, now I am hooked!
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:51 AM   #10
DustinSixOh9
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
DustinSixOh9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Downloading grainy 90s Japanese drift videos on kazaa in 2002ish, can blame that for this never ending rabbit hole of drift cars and poor financial choices that are still happening today.
DustinSixOh9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #11
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
I feel like I did the opposite of everyone. Got mine a 19 and was my first car. Knew from the get go I wanted to take care of it. After having it for a few months and seeing unreliable it was I got stubborn and decided to basically restore the car.

I fucked up thinking 25 year old car would get me point A-B with 0 issues.....

BUT now after nearly three years of owning it plus an undisclosed amount of money...... Its reliable as ever, drive it everyday to work/school, has AC, built ka on e85, have type x aero, have my blitz techno speeds z2 wheels coming next week. After tearing it down last year to build it the only thing to go on the car was plastic circle thing on the fuel unit not getting 12v to the wire and recently my turbo took a shit but its always given me issues. Other than that, starts up every day no problem.

Only learning curve I had was to budget my money for parts and I should of bought a "proper" daily so this could be on the side but hey not many people can say they daily there first car let alone a 25 year old nissan. Rather have my POS than a stock 86, subbie, lexus etc and its nice knowing I built it all myself with my dad as extra set of hands. Mechanics is easy, just need to do a bit of reading.
R3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Trying to do too much at one time.

College budget didn't exactly fund a full build from a shell and it took me 4yrs to finish it. I drove it like a dozen times before I parted it out
crash n' burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #13
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3b View Post
but hey not many people can say they daily there first car let alone a 25 year old nissan.
I mean, the majority of the population uses their car as a daily driver, first car or not lol... We just ruin ours.

The worst thing I ever did was rip out the stock KA and put an SR in it, I've gone through 5 motors in the past 3 years now
Old 02-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #14
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

Almighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond repute
I have a feeling new people are going to be directed to this thread at some point lol.
The hindsight advice thread/what not to do thread.

Oh the things I wish I knew back then.
Almighty So is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #15
encludemeout
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
encludemeout is making a name for him/her selfencludemeout is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Thinking I could swap an RB and it would be cheap and headache free.

It was a nightmare. I enjoyed the KA 1000x more.
encludemeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #16
Zenki_559
Leaky Injector

Zenki_559 is a glorious beacon of lightZenki_559 is a glorious beacon of lightZenki_559 is a glorious beacon of lightZenki_559 is a glorious beacon of lightZenki_559 is a glorious beacon of lightZenki_559 is a glorious beacon of lightZenki_559 is a glorious beacon of lightZenki_559 is a glorious beacon of lightZenki_559 is a glorious beacon of lightZenki_559 is a glorious beacon of lightZenki_559 is a glorious beacon of light
Decided to slam and drift my s14. Had a reasonably nice 98 civic hatchback, got the itch for something different, sold for $5k and picked up an absolutely flawless zenki. Full SE package with every factory option, except for an lsd. Flawless exterior with brand new paint and interior was good enough (semi cracked leather, swapped out with SE confetti later). Went from super clean dailyable s14 to slammed, fucked fenders, cracked bumper, rubbed fender harness, doesnt pass CA smog, blew 2 head gaskets, and dented QPs. Ended up going full kit and widebody, moved to TX and sold it withing 2 months because i hated what i had done to it.

Looking back i was young, dumb and essentially chalked it up to a learning experience, as i learned to tear apart KA's, some minor welding skills, dialing suspension set ups, and the like. Now that i have a career, house, and a wife, i recently picked up a s13 coupe to restore and use as nice weekend and track car.
Zenki_559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #17
majgoldfish

Trader Rating: (5)
majgoldfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Getting rid of my first 240sx, a 1995 OBD1 Zenki SE. I used it as a daily driver and was great, started feeling like the engine was on its way out the door at 240,000 miles~ and got rid of it.

Saw it for sale multiple times later with the same ka and lots more miles, with various exterior mods done to it.

I am currently in the process of rebuilding another 1995 zenki, have poured quite a bit of money into it so far, and I still haven't been able to start it Sat for 3 years and was abused and neglected.

Hope to have it on the road in a few months, worst case.
majgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #18
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
i threw away my wheel well splash guards instead of modifying them when i rolled my fenders
Old 02-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #19
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

anthony_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
I remember when I picked up my first s13. Suspension was first on mods, and big brake upgrade, went q45. I built it to run the canyons. Then came the “I need more power” since it was a single cam, I picked up a black top SR. Being a little idiot I remember getting countless parts off eBay for the swap, but that wasn’t the worst part, I had done the wiring for the harness myself, and overlooked the last wire, I was supposed to splice two wires into one, I believe for the spark, and when it all came together I got a crank no start. I didn’t know anything about diagnosing at the time, so it went to a few shops, and eventually ended up getting hydro-locked. RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anthony_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #20
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty So View Post
^ ouch!

I made the mistake of being too anxious when I was younger. I was always comparing my car to other people’s rides. I had a semi clean zenki but I wanted an s13, a kouki, a Toyota.. I wanted to experience it all right away lol. Bounced around between a handful of different chassis just trying to find the “right one”.
Kind of a waste of time and money lol. But very happy with the chassis I have now.
LITERALLY came here to say this exact same thing about myself lmao

Real talk though. Biggest mistake was trading my first S13 for an FC because I thought I needed an FC for some reason. S13 had a super strong SR, Vertex aero, Stance coils, SSRs, etc etc really nice car. FC was bone stock but rust free and minty. Spent a fuckton of money on FC parts, drove it once, and it blew up. RIP
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #21
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Don't buy one of these cars if you don't have a reliable space to work on it and the resources to do so. Ensure that you are able to do the work yourself so you don't have to put so much faith in shops to complete your vision or even keep your shit running.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #22
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
I think my WORST mistake was when I was younger, buying a 5 bolt turbo downpipe that had a popcorn weld on it.

It cracked off at the flange while going 95mph testing somethings. Luckily I had the hood off, so it didn't melt my brake master and catch fire.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #23
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Selling my damn near bone stock, stick shift, cobalt green 97 and using what little I got for it as a down payment for my truck, nine years ago. Had that car for 9 years then had be be all adult and shit. Should have just kept it.

lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #24
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Don't buy one of these cars if you don't have a reliable space to work on it and the resources to do so. Ensure that you are able to do the work yourself so you don't have to put so much faith in shops to complete your vision or even keep your shit running.
I've owned my s13 for 9 years and have only worked indoors on it 5 times. I've never owned a garage. When I swapped my Rb, back in 2009 I built a lean-to onto my shed because it was in the middle of winter.

What I learned from then? Don't cut corners, Save your money to buy a quality part.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #25
danshaz
Zilvia Junkie

danshaz is an unknown quantity at this point
bought the car with the attitude that i already knew every possible thing there is to know.

when i dropped the rear subframe i ended up stripping the threads on the chassis studs when i put it back on. im guessing it was a combo of the impact gun to take it off and new hardware on the old stretched out studs. so i just hammered the new nuts on and hoped to god i never had to drop the subframe again.
danshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #26
OutlawLui
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
OutlawLui is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Buying my 1st 240sx 6 years ago :/

It's and Addiction .

*Damn... it was actually like 8 years now haha

Last edited by OutlawLui; 02-14-2018 at 10:00 AM..
OutlawLui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #27
hatch4life
Leaky Injector

hatch4life is an unknown quantity at this point
welding next to a rag soaked in wax and grease remover laying on the rad support

spoiler alert, it went up in flames pretty fast and ruined new paint, but harness was fine
hatch4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:27 PM   #28
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
I wired an electric fan backwards once, in a rush to make it to ASB.
car kept getting hot no matter what I did, had to come in every other lap and spray it off with the hose, then I realized the fan was spraying water BACK at me.

OOOOOPS.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #29
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
I've had friends talk shit on how selective I am when it comes to buying cars...but I've never had a problem daily driving and S13 in the US. Fucc tha h8rs.

...but when I got to Japan I fucked up. Found a Midnight Purple Type X for sale in Osaka. I was so excited by the price and how quickly I had come across one that I bought it without traveling to Osaka to see it in person. My thought process was something along the lines of:

Oh man I'm in Japan and dealerships are obviously all good sellers. Way better than America.

Wrong. Car was more of a 'project' then it should have been. I ended up trading a newer, turbo car for my NA Q's two-tone. I guess it worked out in the end.

Oh and I had a coupe when I left for boot. It was the ugly champagne color but it was an SE with HUD, sunroof, and brown interior. Should have never sold it :/
Old 02-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #30
dallaschristman
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
dallaschristman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Worst mistake I've made with my car? Buying a single cam to swap in my dual cam car. No compression test, no checking to see if it was running. Just bought it and figured it out. HUGE fuck up.
dallaschristman is offline   Reply With Quote