Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-24-2020, 11:50 PM   #1
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
speedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedgod^s13
Who can build a custom chassis harness?

So...I tubbed my car and planned on relocating my fuse box to the glovebox, or somewhere in the car. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find anyone locally (Hawaii) who is willing to rebuild my chassis harness, and I am unable to do so myself, so I need your help, Zilvia. Basically, I'd like everything cruise control related removed, and the wiring for the headlights/signals extended. I'm also running the JDM digital climate control, so I believe some features need to be tied into the harness as well. This is one of the hardest and last hurdles for me to move forward with my build, so any help is appreciated.
speedgod^s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2020, 01:07 AM   #2
samotage
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
samotage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That is a complex project in itself... I?ve been over my entire chassis harness, took months.

Things I learnt:
There are so many interconnected systems, that you will need to be able to really understand the FSM electrical section, which is probably the bulk of the whole manual.

There are many proprietary plugs and pinouts, and the FSM has already documented all this and made good design decisions.

I removed 90% of my wiring and it?s external wrapping, and what I found underneath was excellent quality wires in very good condition. Most of this was done in place.

In reviewing the FSM and requirements, namely,
- bigger fuel pump wires
- proper speaker wires
- fuel pump cut kill switch and extra relay
- immobiliser stuff
- some ecu wiring for my haltech
- probably other things...

I researched and experimented to ensure all things I wanted to do could be done, e.g. central locking etc.

I made all my changes, and with each one tested. Not doing the next until each piece of work was tested.

Then when it was all done, more testing. A lot of testing as I got stuff wrong...

Then I got a bunch of conduit and a shit ton of felt harness wrapping tape, velcro strapping and cable ties, including those funky push mount ones.

Wrapped it all up and secured it.

Then tested.

The scope of this kind of project is large, and it?s scope is a lot more than say an engine harness, while that is in itself complex, its scope is well defined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
samotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:00 AM   #3
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
You'd need to provide some more information, hatch or coupe, power windows (Probably, since you have Cruise Control), what front end, etc etc. I've done quite a few tucks over the years, 1 or 2 bare-bones race chassis harnesses, but not a replacement street harness.

Building a custom chassis harness isn't an issue in itself; its retaining features since in a PnP fashion without leaving pigtails for a customer to splice on the old connectors. DCC would be a problem unless the person making it for you has all the components for testing.

I've seen a lot of folks ask you to ship them your old chassis harness to salvage plugs while others convert to something modern like Deutsch or Weatherpack with a pigtail that need to be spliced on in place of the old connector for the end component. Luckily, most of the OEM chassis connectors are available still with a good bit of searching but unless buying in bulk, it becomes incredibly expensive...quick.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:33 PM   #4
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

speedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash n' burn View Post
You'd need to provide some more information, hatch or coupe, power windows (Probably, since you have Cruise Control), what front end, etc etc. I've done quite a few tucks over the years, 1 or 2 bare-bones race chassis harnesses, but not a replacement street harness.

Building a custom chassis harness isn't an issue in itself; its retaining features since in a PnP fashion without leaving pigtails for a customer to splice on the old connectors. DCC would be a problem unless the person making it for you has all the components for testing.

I've seen a lot of folks ask you to ship them your old chassis harness to salvage plugs while others convert to something modern like Deutsch or Weatherpack with a pigtail that need to be spliced on in place of the old connector for the end component. Luckily, most of the OEM chassis connectors are available still with a good bit of searching but unless buying in bulk, it becomes incredibly expensive...quick.
Thanks for your reply. My car is a hatch, with the stock flip up headlights. Yes, I am retaining the power windows. I have all the parts for the DCC, except for one item, which I will get before sending up the harness.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #5
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
all u have to do is memorize the FSM and match up every single wire and color... then its easy
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:08 AM   #6
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
all u have to do is memorize the FSM and match up every single wire and color... then its easy
Boi, if it was only that easy.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:51 AM   #7
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarservicesss View Post
Fuk u spam bot
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:21 AM   #8
inferno s14
Zilvia Junkie

inferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
First thing you need is the factory service manual for your year, and this is in case you misMatch wiring or have to depin and repin.
From my experience I ended up shortening wiring never extending, and that’s that I moved the entire fuse box on my s14 to where my airbag was on the passenger side dash.
inferno s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:27 PM   #9
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Still searching.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:55 PM   #10
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
https://www.factionmotorsports.com/f...ss-for-s13-14/
Old 08-27-2020, 09:44 PM   #11
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Dude ive done full harnesses on 5 cars now. Get your head in an FSM wiring diagram, make your own diagram for each system you need, then build it. Unless you want me to make you one then i need your harnesses, 6 months and $5000+paypal fees

If youre just trying to move the fuse box for the tubs, i figured out a neat little tuck into the corner behind the headlight. You can mount it below the battery tray if you make a water shroud for it. You remove the bracket for the fuse box. Cut a 2" hole behind the battery tray just above the frame rail and use a headlight gusset to protect the wires youll run through it.

There's only a few wires that need to be extended:
-The power for the fuse box can be routed with 8 gauge wire to the starter.
-The power from the battery will wire directly to the starter.
-The alternator wires from the fuse box can be extended to the alt.
-the grey and brown chassis harness to engine harness connectors.
-The speed sensor wires (2 wires)

i lost the pictures a while ago, but some people have made youtube videos on how to do it.
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #12
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post
Dude ive done full harnesses on 5 cars now. Get your head in an FSM wiring diagram, make your own diagram for each system you need, then build it. Unless you want me to make you one then i need your harnesses, 6 months and $5000+paypal fees

If youre just trying to move the fuse box for the tubs, i figured out a neat little tuck into the corner behind the headlight. You can mount it below the battery tray if you make a water shroud for it. You remove the bracket for the fuse box. Cut a 2" hole behind the battery tray just above the frame rail and use a headlight gusset to protect the wires youll run through it.

i lost the pictures a while ago, but some people have made youtube videos on how to do it.
This might actually work really well for my situation!
Old 08-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #13
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post

If you happen to come across those videos, please link them, as I did a quick search, and was not able to come across any.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #14
S14rebuild
BANNED

I did mine on my 97 s14... first time tackling a custom harness. Moved my fuse box to behing the glove box, deleted all unused wires/relays/fuses. Repinded everything to weather pack connectors and heat resistant braided loom. Came out super nice. And about 5-7hrs of true work. I wouldnt say im an electrical genius or guru. But have 15yrs ase master tech. Under my belt. I would say anyone that can read and understand a wiring diagram can tackle the job. Learn to soder, crimp terminal ends and fi d a good source for parts(amazon) and its easily doable over a long weekend. Just draw/write out what u want and what wires, buy everything in advance and plan for extras...u can do it!
Old 08-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #15
zombiewolf513
BANNED

zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Do a longer search. I gave you a solid answer, now do the work lazy ass
Old 08-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #16
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
I did mine on my 97 s14... first time tackling a custom harness. Moved my fuse box to behing the glove box, deleted all unused wires/relays/fuses. Repinded everything to weather pack connectors and heat resistant braided loom. Came out super nice. And about 5-7hrs of true work. I wouldnt say im an electrical genius or guru. But have 15yrs ase master tech. Under my belt. I would say anyone that can read and understand a wiring diagram can tackle the job. Learn to soder, crimp terminal ends and fi d a good source for parts(amazon) and its easily doable over a long weekend. Just draw/write out what u want and what wires, buy everything in advance and plan for extras...u can do it!
"15yrs ase master tech"

Can't spell solder...
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #17
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
"15yrs ase master tech"

Can't spell solder...
Oh yea my spelling/typing from a phone on a forum really defines who i am and what ive achieved.

But doesnt suprise me a fukboi like u points out typos
Old 08-31-2020, 08:53 AM   #18
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I relocated mine to the truck where the factory Jack mounts... Ot was a painstaking and arduous task. Don’t want to do it again. However, it is easily accessible and out of the way.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:21 PM   #19
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
I could build you a brand new one... I just don't want to :devil:

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:45 PM   #20
samotage
BANNED

samotage is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
I could build you a brand new one... I just don't want to :devil:

Truck me, that is next level, love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
samotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:15 AM   #21
zombiewolf513
BANNED

This is now a wiring porn thread
Old 09-01-2020, 03:57 PM   #22
skai

skai is an unknown quantity at this point
I just got done pulling my harness as well. Planning on putting fuse boxes in glove box and reroute the wires as needed. Goal is to have just the wires to the headlights and horn going to the front and everything else would be cleaned up. I would probably at some point make my own custom wire harness but would like to be able to source all the connectors needed first.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
skai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:05 AM   #23
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by samotage View Post
Truck me, that is next level, love it!
Concentric twisting. Most high end harnesses and industrial cabling is made this way. I've tried to wrap my head around it, even attempted it a few times without success; I just can't make it work and have never really needed it either.

I've love to drop the coin on HarnWare or RapidHarness but I'm not at that level yet.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #24
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skai View Post
I would probably at some point make my own custom wire harness but would like to be able to source all the connectors needed first.
A lot of these connectors are either not in consistent production, NLA, or have fallen off the manufacturer's mainstream catalogs so finding a part number is a HUGE pain (speaking from experience). You'd have to bulk purchase to be economical and for them to even be made. Consider the all in cost for the connector shell, terminals, and any applicable seals and holder...even at $1/per (generously low) and having to buy 100 each (again, generously low)..you're going to spend close to x10 what you think to even get a hold of the connector.

Multiply that by how many are in the car (just end components) and you can see why most people making universal chassis harnesses either have you splice on your original connector or convert over to a newer Weatherpack/Deutsch and the like.

I'm not being a dream killer, just letting you know it's a big endeavor.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:22 AM   #25
skai

Quote:
A lot of these connectors are either not in consistent production, NLA, or have fallen off the manufacturer's mainstream catalogs so finding a part number is a HUGE pain (speaking from experience). You'd have to bulk purchase to be economical and for them to even be made. Consider the all in cost for the connector shell, terminals, and any applicable seals and holder...even at $1/per (generously low) and having to buy 100 each (again, generously low)..you're going to spend close to x10 what you think to even get a hold of the connector.

Multiply that by how many are in the car (just end components) and you can see why most people making universal chassis harnesses either have you splice on your original connector or convert over to a newer Weatherpack/Deutsch and the like.

I'm not being a dream killer, just letting you know it's a big endeavor.
Thanks for the info, and I appreciate the response. I might buy an extra harness and rewire with that. I found this site that has some connectors but not everything needed.
https://connectorexperts.com/ag-1859243-nissan.html

Old 09-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #26
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skai View Post
I found this site that has some connectors but not everything needed.
https://connectorexperts.com/ag-1859243-nissan.html
That place is insanely expensive. OK for referencing, but you'd go broke trying to buy from them; those prices are like 5000% profit margin on their part..I don't even know how they stay in business.

Another hurdle is any vendor associated with ASAP Semiconductor (a good 75% of the US-based companies I've found) will not sell to consumers directly, you HAVE to be a business; ya know..non-public domain name, email, business license, etc etc. They will ask you to verify.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #27
skai

Quote:
That place is insanely expensive. OK for referencing, but you'd go broke trying to buy from them; those prices are like 5000% profit margin on their part..I don't even know how they stay in business.

Another hurdle is any vendor associated with ASAP Semiconductor (a good 75% of the US-based companies I've found) will not sell to consumers directly, you HAVE to be a business; ya know..non-public domain name, email, business license, etc etc. They will ask you to verify.
Dang. Thanks for that.