Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
speedfiend
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (68)
speedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedfiend
External Wastegate Sizing for GT3076r

Well I have pretty much finished assembling my sr20 long block and am now in the process of piecing together my turbo components. I am planning to run a gt3076r on moderate boost. This is going to be mainly a street car so most likely will be running around 16psi of boost on pump gas with occasional 20+ psi on race gas. I already have a Hybrid Dynamics top mount mani as well as a tial mvs 38mm wastegate. The issue is that the manifold is flanged for a 44mm wastegate. My delima is whether I should have the 38mm flange welded on the manifold or if I should just trade this 38mm wastegate for a 44mm wastegate so it will be a bolt on affair? I am new to the extrenal gate world but understand that the larger turbo on low boost requires a larger gate to expell the excess gases and vise versa. I am more concerned with quick spool and no boost creep issues over maximum power. So with all that in mind what are you guys educated opinions on this matter. Any help is much appreciated.
Thanx, Cameron
speedfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I ran a 44 on my 3071R. I'll be running the same gate on the GTX3076R I now have. You should be fine with either one. I think it would be easier to change gates than modifying your manifold.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
speedfiend
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (68)
speedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedfiend
Thanx for the response jr_ss. Yeah I think Im going to go ahead and try to trade for a 44mm gate. Id rather not go hacking up a perfectly good manifold just to fit the wastegate. Plus down the road if I upgrade turbos or what not that 44mm will still handle it just fine. Looked at a lot of peoples top mount setups and seems the 44mm is pretty consistent throughout with any size turbo I might plan to run.

If anyone else has any negatives to going ahead with the 44mm wastegate then please chime in with your opinions.
Thanx again,
Cameron
speedfiend is offline   Reply With Quote