Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
liquidchicken
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
liquidchicken is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question Anyone Know Anything About NisTune Boards??

Hey just wondering if anyone could give me some info on nistune boards, ive never heard of them but im looking at a car that has one in it, its just a piggyback board but thats about all i know, the car has a base tune on it but it needs a dyno tune and i have nooooo clue where to take it? im up in the northeast, if anyone knows a shop, but i have a feeling like im going to have a hard time finding a shop, does anyone else have a piggy back system that you recommend that isnt too pricey? its a KA-T that needs to be tuned..
liquidchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
apex128
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
apex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I bought my car with nistune. It offers the functionality of a rom tuner setup. Think hondata or something. I'm trying to tune it myself, but I've never done this before and it is a learning curve. I think it is difficult to find shops that do nistune, but i havent really looked around a whole lot either. from what i understand, nistune is soldered onto the ecu. If you want to get rid of it, you will probably be best off getting a whole new ecu.
apex128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
liquidchicken
Leaky Injector

liquidchicken is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex128 View Post
I bought my car with nistune. It offers the functionality of a rom tuner setup. Think hondata or something. I'm trying to tune it myself, but I've never done this before and it is a learning curve. I think it is difficult to find shops that do nistune, but i havent really looked around a whole lot either. from what i understand, nistune is soldered onto the ecu. If you want to get rid of it, you will probably be best off getting a whole new ecu.
Yes I was trying to look for some shops but no one around me has a dyno and does them, is it hard to do yourself? I don't have much experience with tuning
liquidchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
CrudeTech

CrudeTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Most shops that tune the factory ECU actually use a Nistune board to create the tune, then use the Nistune software to burn the new chip they install in the factory ECU.

The Nistune daughterboard replaces the ROM chip that contains all the factory maps with one that is rewriteable in real time.

I had mine tuned this week in the Montreal area for 550$ CAD. Made a safe 288 whp on 17 psi of boost, an ISR 3871 turbo, factory internals, and 550CC injectors.

I bought the Nistune "solution" last year, and I would not buy it again. It's more geared towards the dyno shops, not towards the customers. Stick with the normal ROM chip tune, or go full standalone and replace the aging MAF based system with a much more modern MAP based one. The new Haltech Elite 750 is really interesting for smaller engines.
CrudeTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
apex128
Zilvia Member

apex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enough
I think someone with enough time / determination can definitely tune their car themselves with nistune. It is much more involved, but that makes it better when it comes time to change your setup later on. Pretty sure you have to ship in your ecu every time you change turbo, injectors, e.t.c. when using an enthalpy tune.
apex128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
CrudeTech

CrudeTech is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought so too. But the changes I had made to the car definitely needed an expert hand. I also got to learn a lot and ask a ton of questions to the tuner at the same time.

I guess you COULD tune it on the road, but max RPM and load is the top of 4th gear, which is REALLY too fast for the road. Way too dangerous for me.

So yeah, I got a pro to tune it, learned a lot, and got some HP numbers from the dyno at the same time.
CrudeTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
blackmags91
Zilvia Member

blackmags91 is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought one used for like $200 bucks already inside of a stock ecu. For THAT price, it was unbeatable. Ran it dyno tuned on 850's, z32 maf and s15 turbo at just a hair over 300whp for like 3 years no problems..

If you find a good deal on a used one they are worth the money. It all comes down to your budget and your goals man, but its definitely not a BAD option.

EDIT: You're right about it being difficult to find someone to tune it though. The well-known, well established tuners in my area weren't interested in helping me. Found a start-up guy that was down to dyno tune it for 400 bucks, and he did a fantastic job.
blackmags91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
www.autovaughnperformance.com
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:26 AM   #9
wither48

wither48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidchicken View Post
Hey just wondering if anyone could give me some info on nistune boards, ive never heard of them but im looking at a car that has one in it, its just a piggyback board but thats about all i know, the car has a base tune on it but it needs a dyno tune and i have nooooo clue where to take it? im up in the northeast, if anyone knows a shop, but i have a feeling like im going to have a hard time finding a shop, does anyone else have a piggy back system that you recommend that isnt too pricey? its a KA-T that needs to be tuned..
I'm looking to tune an s13, and I mentioned nistune to a friend of mine. He said that he used it on a ka-t car and had some issues. He also couldn't find a guy here in the Austin area and had to drive 5ish hours down to Houston on a second stock ecu, swap over the nistune one and the bigger injectors just to have the guy tune it. He sent me a link to another stock ecu tuning solution called nismotronic. It's a little more limited in what ecus it works with (for the s chassis, I think it's just ka24de and sr20de and det), but as a software it's much better and development is still happening for it while nistune hasn't really been updated in a while. You can also wire in additional analog inputs for widebands and other stuff to use in the tune instead of just having it wired to a gauge. You can also run digital inputs (I'm gonna use this feature to use my cruise control buttons to switch between the normal tune and a "valet" mode for if I get pulled for emissions or some such thing). I'd give it a look if you're willing​ to ditch nistune. If you just wanna keep what you have then I'd say learn to use it yourself. Enthalpy is always an option too! You tell them what your setup is and he'll send you a chip with a tune for what you're doing. You won't get as much it of the car, but it'll be serviceable and fun

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
wither48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #10
blackmags91
Zilvia Member

blackmags91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersayianjim View Post
x10
Andy is the man when it comes to Nistune