Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:39 AM   #121
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
You're going to want to recoat that hardware in the nickel or cadmium plating that they had on them or else that hardware is going to rust to shit on your pretty calipers!
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #122
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
You're going to want to recoat that hardware in the nickel or cadmium plating that they had on them or else that hardware is going to rust to shit on your pretty calipers!

Didn't think about that earlier. Probably just gonna buy some new bolts at Home Depot later.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:58 PM   #123
soundboy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
soundboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Most excellent, whats ur plans for fuel setup?
soundboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #124
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Nothing crazy, I'm going to give the Walbro 400 that I have a chance and see how it goes. It will run from the pump to some standard fuel hose down to the factory lines that I'm hoping to relocate. The ends of the lines will terminate with AN fittings, one line (return) going up to the Aeromotive AFPR and the other line (feed) going into a GM fuel filter with AN adapters and out to the fuel rail. I'm running the factory fuel rail with SARD 650cc drop-ins that I bought from RHDjapan.

If I run into issues I will start with a surge tank. If anything further is required it would be a change of the fuel rail and injectors. I'm not looking for huge numbers with this build, the car will be tuned on 91 pump. I want the ability to drive the car wherever I'd like in this area and not have to worry about finding corn or paying $8.00/gallon at exclusive stations for 100 octane. This will not be a car that I plan on storing in the garage, I'm a dickhead and I want to show it off. [emoji57] Seriously though, I'm replacing damn near every major component on the car, so I plan to drive the shit out of it until the chassis gives up. Motors can always be rebuilt/replaced, so the chassis is the only thing I can think of that can give up and put the car in it's grave. I'm putting my heart & soul into this build and it's not something that I think will ever leave my possession.

/weird ass tangent

Sorry for the rant but I have really fallen in love with this POS the more I've put work into it. This summer has been so brutal and I haven't had any chances to work on the car due to the excessive heat; it's been depressing to say the least. I feel like I'm not too far off from starting it, but there is still a lot of stuff that needs to be done.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #125
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
I forgot that was part of the car
But great color choice nonetheless, did you do it yourself?

Sorry I missed this earlier, but no, I did not do the coating. This is another item I've added to the list of things I'd love to learn to do.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #126
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.E View Post
Sorry I missed this earlier, but no, I did not do the coating. This is another item I've added to the list of things I'd love to learn to do.
One of mine is to learn to weld in general.
DJTTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #127
Mister.E
Post Whore!

That's my number one. I have to finish this car first though.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #128
Mister.E
Post Whore!

E's '95 S14 Build - The true "forever" build

So everything I ordered to complete my brakes has been delivered.

Things to note when rebuilding your calipers to this extent:

If you are replacing the bolts that hold the halves together it can be extremely frustrating. They are a special type of bolt called metric Japanese Industry Standard (JIS) bolts. When talking about these specific bolts JIS standard calls for a 14mm head on an M10x1.25 whereas the standard M10x1.25 has a 17mm head. This is very important since there isn't really any room on the caliper for a 17mm head to fit.

The rear caliper require 65mm bolts and one M10 washer with a small outside diameter (OD). This is a size that's readily available. The part info for the bolts I used is pictured below.

The front calls for 75mm bolts for the 30mm calipers, but I could not find that length anywhere. I decided that I would buy the 80 mm bolts and cut them down to 75mm if they were too long. They ended up fitting perfectly with one M10 small OD washer and there was still a little thread in the caliper to spare.

Here are the washers that I used. They fit perfectly in the washer grooves on the calipers. I got these at Home Depot.

For the front calipers I ended up getting the seal kit from Z1 Motorsports since it comes with the little o-rings that go in between the caliper halves. The rear seal kit is usually considerably harder to find but I ended up getting a Centric seal kit from Rock Auto. To my surprise, the Centric kit also came with the o-rings for the rear halves as well. I have NEVER seen this happen so here here is the part info for that seal kit. Make sure you buy two, each kit is for a single caliper.

I ended up torquing the bolts on the front calipers to 55ft•lb and did 45ft•lb on the rears since they're aluminum.

I won't go through seal replacement since that is pretty basic, but here is the final product. I think it turned out really well, it's exactly what I pictured in my head.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #129
Mister.E
Post Whore!

So here is where I leave you today. The calipers are fully assembled and loaded with pads. I reassembled the brake system in the rear and got everything mounted up to the GKtech rear knuckles. I am very pleased with the end results and can't wait to get everything on the car. I still need to trim the brake dust shield a little, though, to make room for the rear calipers.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #130
Fred Allen Burge
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Fred Allen Burge is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Very grateful for the bolt info good sir! I snapped one of my front bolts (siezed into the caliper) and wasn't sure what I needed for a replacement so you just saved me a ton of time!
Old 08-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #131
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Allen Burge View Post
Very grateful for the bolt info good sir! I snapped one of my front bolts (siezed into the caliper) and wasn't sure what I needed for a replacement so you just saved me a ton of time!

No problem man. It took me quite some time to get everything right before I placed my order. I'm glad the info can help you out, that is precisely why I posted it.

If anyone is using 26mm front calipers, I would recommend buying 70mm bolts.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #132
Fred Allen Burge
Zilvia Junkie

Fred Allen Burge is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
No problem man. It took me quite some time to get everything right before I placed my order. I'm glad the info can help you out, that is precisely why I posted it.

If anyone is using 26mm front calipers, I would recommend buying 70mm bolts.

Oddly when I got back to my shop yesterday I measured the bolts that came out of my front calipers and they were right at 100mm long on one caliper and about 96mm long on the other caliper. Both calipers are the 30mm versions (but I can tell they came out of different cars/years which I guess explains the 96mm and 100mm difference.) But the point is neither were 75mm, not sure why. Could be because my fronts are aluminum and I think yours are iron right? May be a design difference there.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #133
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Yes mine are iron. That's interesting that the bolt lengths are that much different.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #134
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Rebuilding 4 pot brakes is fun. Those came out good. I should have used new hardware on mine.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #135
Mister.E
Post Whore!

I do get a bit of enjoyment out of it, but it can be a huge pain in the ass at the same time. Luckily the fronts were still pretty clean from the last time that they were powder coated. The first time I had to take them apart took some serious finesse with an air compressor to get the pistons out.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:15 PM   #136
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Ayyyyy lmao [emoji89][emoji41]

Old 08-14-2016, 09:09 AM   #137
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Haha, your emojis are on point
Old 08-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #138
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I like those rims... ALL OF THEM!

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:12 PM   #139
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
I like those rims... ALL OF THEM!

Thanks man. Only the BRW03's and KF's are mine.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:11 PM   #140
Mister.E
Post Whore!

In my quest to keep rust to a minimum, I had the rotors powder coated as well. I think it turned out nice, but if I did everything over again I'd probably buy boated rotors.

I got everything bolted up and realized that there was a problem. The calipers were rubbing the rotors for some reason.

I wanted a glamour shot so I took this pic prior to troubleshooting the brake issues.

After a ton of wasted time, I figured out that there weren't any problems with my parts, the GKtech front knuckles are warped. I measured it and the distance between the mounting points and the rotor differ by about 2mm. I have confirmed that the knuckles were most likely taken out of the jig too early and have warped.

Marks where powder coat was damaged.

Here is where I spaced the caliper with a washer in the area that I thought was a problem. This allowed the rotor to move a bit more freely and operate more like it should. After speaking with GKtech, they said that a spacer usually solves the problem (this is a known issue with some knuckles). This is NOT a viable solution to me for paying for a product and receiving something defective. I am still waiting for further communication on their part to determine the next course of action. Their customer service has always been top notch so I don't think there will be any problems.

The rear GKtech knuckles haven't posed any problems yet, so after trimming the brake shield I was able to get everything put together.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:10 PM   #141
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

I want to see wheels on the rear!!!
Old 08-31-2016, 09:12 AM   #142
EnvisionMore
Leaky Injector

EnvisionMore is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheels look good! Almost like the C5 Z06 wheels. Keep up the good work, looking forward to more updates.
EnvisionMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #143
JIMB0
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
JIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionMore View Post
Almost like the C5 Z06 wheels.
i died laughing at this
Old 09-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #144
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Hopefully they sort out those front knuckles for you. This should be a "normal" issue that should be sorted with spacers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMB0 View Post
i died laughing at this
RIP Jimmy

Old 09-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #145
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
This should be a "normal" issue that should be sorted with spacers.

You think the spacers are legit? Or is this sarcasm? It seems really sketchy to me.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:19 AM   #146
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Quote:
You think the spacers are legit? Or is this sarcasm? It seems really sketchy to me.

No way, this is sketchy as fuck. I wouldn't recommend that to OP at all. I actually meant "shouldn't" and that's why I said hopefully they can sort that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #147
stopbruh

stopbruh is an unknown quantity at this point
awesome build! and thank you for your service! i'm also currently station in Misawa AB and i've picked up a 91' S13 Silvia.
stopbruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #148
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopbruh View Post
awesome build! and thank you for your service! i'm also currently station in Misawa AB and i've picked up a 91' S13 Silvia.

Nice man! I really do miss that place. Lots of good times were had with friends.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #149
_poo40

_poo40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Amazingly inspiring story and great details. I appreciate the time you took out to post something like this and share your personal story. I recently purchased a 95 240 myself and am currently (at this very moment actually) piecing together a little build sheet with a friend who has an aluminum LS2 built for his S13 hatch. Can't wait to do something like this myself. Thank you so much. ALSO, feel free to message me if you decide to part with any of your beloved Work's LOL.
_poo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #150
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Man, it looks like I need to drop some updates in here. Nothing too worthwhile, though, I've had a lot of hold-backs since the last post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _poo40 View Post
ALSO, feel free to message me if you decide to part with any of your beloved Work's LOL.