Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
240sxdrive

Trader Rating: (0)
240sxdrive is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quest alternator in sr20det

Posted this is S-Chassis section but not getting much response.

Hey all,

I've researched using a Quest alternator on an sr20det and know you need to drill out the mounting holes and modify the tensioner mounting bracket or buy the Cody Ace mount.

I bought the 125 amp alternator for the 99-02 Quest and when comparing to the stock SR alternator, the pulley seems to stick out farther then the stock alternator pulley would be.

There's about a 3mm difference which I would think would be enough of a difference to cause issue. Did anyone compare the 2 alternators before installing?

In these pics, you can see the new alternator mounting tabs are higher, so when installed the pulley would be farther out. I could probably grind some of the inside tab closest to the pulley and use washers on the inside of the other tab to take up the difference. Both alternators have the same amount of space between the mounting holes.

Did anyone have to grind these mounting tabs? (not the tensioner mounting tab)

In these pics, the mounting holes are lined up and the pulley on the Quest alternator sticks out farther.

240sxdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to MrMigs Send a message via AIM to MrMigs
I've been poking around for an answer to this as well. It looks like people haven't really had an issue with it... or they haven't really posted about it ha ha I don't know. Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Drifting is just a compromise between you and your car.
MrMigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:03 AM   #3
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
iirc there was a good install on codyaces website...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:54 PM   #4
Big_MO
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Big_MO is making a name for him/her selfBig_MO is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Been running mine for a while never had an issue
Big_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Did this get sorted out? Was it the correct part, didn't fit, etc? Getting some voltage drop issues so looking into upgrades myself.

Last edited by LoSt180; 11-13-2020 at 01:51 PM..
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #6
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Machine 3mm off either mount, problem solved! It should be pretty easy to take a grinder and use the blade as a guide for the amount needed to remove.

In all honesty, it is less than an 1/8th of an inch and quite a distance from the crank. If it was in close proximity to the crank, it probably would cause more of an issue.