Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:39 AM   #31
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gears do not 'slip'.

To check the fluid level on the mt you have to jack the car up front and rear so it's level and remove the fill plug (upper one) on the transmission. If fluid trickles out it is full. The procedure for filling is to add mt fluid until it begins trickling out of the fill plug and cap it off.

What is it you are afraid of risking? Aside from wasting money?
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #32
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videlicet View Post
Sorry guys I know I haven't responded to the thread in a while. I have been pretty busy. I think the issue might just be that it needs more transmission fluid. I don't know how long the current fluid has been in there, but I don't want to run the risk of changing it. Does anyone know how I can figure out how much fluid to add? Or how I can tell if it needs it at all?
You have a manual transmission, which means if it slips internally, it's totally destroyed.

See if you can pull the release fork a bit by hand. If the master is releasing pressure properly, when the pedal's up you should be able to push the slave in a little bit with a few pounds of force, one hand.

Otherwise, it sounds like you haven't worn your new clutch in - new clutches often don't fully engage or disengage until you've let it slip some, but don't overheat it - this is why they talk about a "gentle" break in period - don't just sit and smoke it, but let it slip plenty when you take off, in between plenty of cool-down time.

Do you smell it?

You did a clutch but never changed the tranny fluid?
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:29 AM   #33
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Maybe your clutch pedal isnt adjusted properly. Too tight and the clutch will slip. You could also have poor throwout bearing tolerances.
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #34
Videlicet

Videlicet is making his/her stupidity well-knownVidelicet is making his/her stupidity well-knownVidelicet is making his/her stupidity well-knownVidelicet is making his/her stupidity well-known
Late reply

Sorry for the late reply. I've been pretty busy.

I got around to adding new gear oil. It took quite a bit too fill so it probably was low. But it didn't do anything to help the problem.
Eventually I ended up replacing the transmission. This was mostly due to the car no longer shifting into reverse, and having trouble shifting into other gears. While it fixed the shifting problem it only partially fixed the slipping. But at least it seems to have helped some. It still slips a little but not nearly as much. It might just need a new clutch now, I'm not sure.

I should have replaced the clutch while I was changing transmissions but I got impatient since I would have to wait a while to resurface the flywheel. I figured it would be fine with its current one since it was relatively new. Unfortunately I have to put this problem on hold for the time being since now the car is having other issues with overheating.

I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice on this. If your interested in helping me figure out my latest issue, here is a link to my new thread

https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?...62#post6390462
Videlicet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #35
SrRaycer
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
SrRaycer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Coming from someone who has had tons of clutch issues....

It's definitely a clutch problem.. not brakes... not transmission fluid

First, the clutch needs to be bled, you said that you didn't do that, Idk if you've done it since.

Second, where is your pedal engagement/disengagement point? Is it high? If it's too high then your clutch is not completely engaging. I'd bet money that this is the problem.
SrRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:17 PM   #36
Videlicet

Videlicet is making his/her stupidity well-knownVidelicet is making his/her stupidity well-knownVidelicet is making his/her stupidity well-knownVidelicet is making his/her stupidity well-known
I did bleed the clutch. Did not help unfortunately. And my engagement point isn't very high, it got lower when I changed the clutch.
Videlicet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #37
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
You need to readjust the pedal every time you change the clutch. I have a feeling youve been setting it too agressively. There should be a tiny bit of slop where youre just pushing against the return spring on the pedal before you feel pressure from the clutch. If theres no slop that means the clutch bearing is disengaging the clutch by preloading the springs and weakening the friction between clutch and flywheel, eventually making it slip. Too much slop and the clutch wont disengage and itll be hard to pop out of gear
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote