Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-29-2020, 04:48 AM   #1
Daveyboy

Trader Rating: (0)
Daveyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Left head light plug melted

Hey!
My right headlight plug melted and the headlight stopped working so I changed the plug and changed the headlights to led bright ones, then shortly after having them on the right side both head lights cut out and one on the left side.
The fuse for the right headlight is a little melted but still works and all plugs have 12v going to them, earthed properly and have 12 v going to the plug when full beam is turned on. I was looking for a headlight relay as that might be why there?s too much power going to the headlights and causing them to over heat and plugs to melt. When I try to plug the headlights in there comes a sizzling sound as if the plug is about to melt. I?ve read that having after market super bright headlights with stock harnesses would cause headlights to work but I doubt then would cause the plug to melt? Wouldn?t it fry the wires?
Any one had this problem? The engine is srd20det Silvia s13 (japanese).
Does anyone know where the headlight rely is? I pulled all relays I could see under the hood and at the drivers footwell (far right hand side) and the headlights still had power going to them so I?m guessing none of the one I pulled was for them!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!!
Daveyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #2
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If you're using factory bulbs or sealed housings then there's something else going on that you need to sort out. A relay harness would just be a band aid to the actual problem. High powered bulbs will draw more power and make things worse. If these are projector housings check the connection of the ground strap (spade terminal) to the back of the projector itself.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #3
Daveyboy

Trader Rating: (0)
Daveyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The headlight bulbs are not factory, they are all after market more powerful bulbs. Two are led, (which I read doesn’t draw much current compared to halogen bulbs). Is the fuses haven’t blown I guess the problem must be after fuse? I’m going to check the wires to the headlight units todAy to see if I can’t find and shorts. The headlight aren’t standard projector headlights no and have previously been earthed straight to the battery.
Daveyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:08 PM   #4
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Poor ground/high resistance in the connection.
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #5
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
S13s and S14 Zenkis do not have headlight relays. You're either pulling too many amps through the factory, undersized wiring (its like 16ga at best), a pinched connection or wire which has increased resistance (Resistance=Heat), or you more than likely have a bad ground.

Go back to the standard 35w & 55w sized incandescent bulbs and see if it remediates the issue. you said they're not standard projector housings? Whats that mean, they're the base model reflectors (bricks)? I'm willing to bet whoever fucked with the wiring probably hacked it and you're left with the repercussions.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
You can always wire in a new relay and heavier gauge wiring. Just use 1 headlight out put as the trigger. Shouldnt be very complicated.
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
You can always wire in a new relay and heavier gauge wiring. Just use 1 headlight out put as the trigger. Shouldnt be very complicated.
yep, I just made one for my Jeep a few weeks ago because the factory wiring is also terribly undersized and I'm running 90/130w bulbs now (no LEDS, snows too much here for them). Obviously, you don't have to go this crazy but it works damn well.