Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Archive and FAQs

Archive and FAQs Archives and Frequently Asked Questions about the 240SX are in here.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
DIY: Z31/2003 Altima Rear Rotor Upgrade for S14 Calipers

Hey guys:

I've really not been on forums much over the past few months due to school, and life...such a bum I am!

The link (to a best of 240sx link for the Q45/Z31 rear rotor upgrade on FA) is a great guide, but the fact remand that a bunch of washers were not something I wanted to have on my car. While I did not think the washers were unsafe, I just felt as if I'd rather no waste time with all of those little washers during pad change, considering that I go through a set a year with my track days haha.

Anywho, in the last few links of the tread, there was mention that 2003 Altima rear rotors may work with the setup...so being that I was going to change calipers anyway, I decided to give it a shot.

I procured a set of Z31 rear brackets from a local junk yard, and was on my way. I used a set of 2003 Altima Rear rotors (makes no difference of se versus sl model type) as well, being that the 'hat' was deeper. I was hoping that the deeper hat would eliminate the need to use all the washers to space the caliper.

So here is the install. I have included pictures with a washer between the hub and the bracket...this washer IS NOT NEEDED.Once I got everything installed, I realized that the rotor was no longer centered in the bracket, and that it would fit perfect without the washer.

So alas, here are the pics.
  • Car: 1997 240sx SE
  • Rotors: 2003 Altima (Model type of altima makes no difference) Size: 11.5" (S14 and s13 are both 10")
  • Calipers: 1997 240sx Calipers
  • Caliper Brackets: Z31 300zx
  • Pads: S13/S14 rear pads

Washer is not needed! Z31 bracket on S14 hub

Same image, from front

Again, washer IS NOT NEEDED

From front

Front again

Upclose

Close again

With pad...fits perfectly on the rotor

from the side

Upclose

All together

Complete

Thoughts: Certainly there will be those who argue that 'Z32 rears are better' just because that's what has been regurgitated 100 times on forums, but I would love to see any quantified research showing me so. This setup allows a larger rotor with the stock calipers, stock e brake, etc etc...a perfect solution for a minimalist like me. I didn't feel like dickering around with the e brake cables, and getting the hubs, and all of this nonsense....plus it's expensive for minimal(at best) gains.

This setup worked great in many ways. One, if you're replacing the stuff like I was, it's essentially a free upgrade, sans the cost of the Z31 bracket. Secondly, I use Carbotech Xp12 pads (all around)...I can lock up street tires, so how much more 'stopping power' am I realistically going to have on the street? None, this side of a R compound or a slick, which even then is a waste of time on street.

On track I did notice a bit more neutral feeling when braking, and can honestly say that all 4 grab as the exact same time, as it should. I love the way the car reacts, and it's a general good feeling.

From a rice (appearance mod) standpoint I guess it's cool as it helps fill up rear wheels, but that would have been the last reason I ever upgraded brakes (to look cool).

Part numbers:

2003 Altima Rotor:
RAYBESTOS Part # 980070R

Z31 Bracket: To Be Added

Caliper: You can use S14 or S13 OE Rear Caliper for this, along with stock pads.

If buying new/remanned:
RAYBESTOS Part # FRC10584 (Right Rear)
RAYBESTOS Part # FRC10583 (Left Rear)

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Very cool, I've known about the Z31 pad carriers for years but I've always seen them used with other rotors, and as you pointed out, washers all over the place. This is nice for people who can't do the math on measuring offset changes.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 11-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
J-F(rx-team)

Trader Rating: (0)
J-F(rx-team) is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very nice thing!! It is sure that when my rear brake are done I do this setup.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:57 PM   #4
kyuusei

Trader Rating: (1)
kyuusei is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume this for the most part applies to S13s as well? And that besides increased cooling/brake fade prevention from the larger rotor, actual "bite" or stopping power is exactly the same because you're still using stock calipers?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuusei View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume this for the most part applies to S13s as well? And that besides increased cooling/brake fade prevention from the larger rotor, actual "bite" or stopping power is exactly the same because you're still using stock calipers?
I can't say for sure it applies directly to the s13 setup as I have not tried this. I'm unsure if the S13 caliper has different dimensions or not. I assume it would be close or possible though regardless, just use washers to space it accordingly.

The actual power applied to the rotor is the same, but in the grand scheme, you have more surface area in the same amount of rotation. THis allows for better fade prevention, more stopping area (if that makes any sense) and a safer (these are thicker) rotor. Remember, justbecause it has more pistons doesn't mean it is always better. You can often go with agressive pads to make up for any difference. I run Carboteech XP12's and these can easily lock the tires up. With slicks it's another story

-CA

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 11-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
It is the exact same procedure for an S13.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 11-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
anyone know the part number for the Z31 bracket?
Old 11-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuusei View Post
The pedal feel and the clamping force will be the same. You have more surface area to dissipate heat but the heat transfer is the same. The big gain is the increased tq angle from moving the friction point farther away from the center of rotation.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
It is the exact same procedure for an S13.
Good to note!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
The pedal feel and the clamping force will be the same. You have more surface area to dissipate heat but the heat transfer is the same. The big gain is the increased tq angle from moving the friction point farther away from the center of rotation.
Yea, what he said! I'm a bit 'gung hoe' / 'hillbilly' when it comes to stuff like this - as in, I'm simple - It works, and I like it haha. Not that I had a huge issue before, but I needed to change everything anyway. Figured for a track car, this was a great bolt on solution for those who didn't want to monkey around with Z32 rear brakes.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
Somnambulist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Somnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Somnambulist
Only problem with an S13 would be the fact it's four lug. Just redrill the rotors to four lug would fix that.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:13 AM   #11
Steve Lloyd
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Steve Lloyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
anyone know the part number for the Z31 bracket?

I've got a pair that I was gonna use and no longer need................

Shoot me a pm if interested.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #12
nsn240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
nsn240 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nsn240
Definitely gonna put this on the to list... never heard of it before.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
codyace
Post Whore!

Any way for a mod to sticky or FAQ this?