Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #1
gotta240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Do i really need INNER tie rod dust boots?(aka rack boots)

Ok...hold your flaming horses!!!! I'm joking about actually needing them, but i do have a few questions...

1. Do you have any advice on getting a new inner boot on easily... I spent 40 minuts trying to get the damn boot over the rack!! DAMN i'm frustrated.

2. I installed my spl tie rods(kick ass parts and service), but i have one worry

I looked in the manual (AFTERWORDS OF COURSE!) and it said to use a "locking grease" on the inner rod threads... I didn't....Should i dissasemble, and re-install with a locking grease? I figure as long as the outer rod stays locked, nothing will come loose, but i need another opinion... thanks.
gotta240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #2
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
if the inner tie rod twists, you'll get toe change. you better put some locktite on that.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
gotta240
Post Whore!

gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
C R A P. So tear it all apart i suppose???!!! GRRRRRR.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #4
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
yea you NEED those loctiteed. You remember when you took off the OEM ones and there was those thingys that you needed to bend out of the way, well those held it on origionally. Now that you have the spacers in you cant use those so they will eventually fall out or something. They take a lot of vibration from the wheels directally, so I wouldnt chance it. As far as the boots go, I dont know whats wrong with your method of putting them on. I didnt have any problems, only took like 2 seconds.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Blue thread lock, and to put the boots on, you have to slide them over before you put the outters back in.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
slideways2004
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
slideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slideways2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar!
Blue thread lock, and to put the boots on, you have to slide them over before you put the outters back in.
+1. don't try to put them after you installed everything. lol
slideways2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:23 PM   #7
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Do a search, and you'll find the thread that I had on tie rods. Are you using spacers or not? You should be alright just using the locking plate. And the boots are easy to put on. (just make sure to do it BEFORE putting the tie rod end on )
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:27 PM   #8
420sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
theres a reason they come like that factory. always good to consult a manual, smart move on your part - people that wrote it definately know whats going on (ok, well, sometimes)
Old 05-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #9
dct223
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
dct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dct223
i think the diameter of the boots are different... try switching sides... should go on pretty easy... try some WD40 to have them slip on easier also 2 small skrew drivers work well if your still having trouble.. one can be used to hold the boot on one side.. the other to stretch it over the rack.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:41 PM   #10
gotta240
Post Whore!

yeah...i'm starting to think that there are two different diameter boots, and i have two rights!!! DOH!

After lots of hassle, and numerous curse words, i got it on....

thanks guys!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:17 AM   #11
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Nope, boots are identical. Same part number for left and right. Now you may have an S13 and S14 boot, since the S14 tie rod is a larger diameter so is the boot opening, an S13 boot would be a little more work to slide on an S14 rod. Though not four hours of work.
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:31 AM   #12
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yeah, since I was going to replace them anyway, I made sure I bought the S14 boots. And yes, they are identical.
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote