Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #331
teck
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
teck is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Every bit of this thread makes me wanna build another Z31, such a quality build
teck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #332
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
What does it feel like taking delivery of a brand new, never been grinded, never been mis-shifted RB25 transmission? Pretty sensational, I imagine.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:59 PM   #333
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
RVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's crazy. One of the coolest things I have purchased but not as cool as the NOS R30 skyline tail lights for my 84 on the way. They are so nice that I am afraid to install.
RVAE34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #334
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Good choice on the transmission. I picked one up for my rb26 build as well. For the price of new it's actually not that bad and close to what it would cost to find a used one and rebuilding it.
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #335
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

RVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really nice
I agree. And as far as I have gone on the car to date, I am not cutting any corners. I don't care how long it takes for the car to be finished, it's going to be done the right way.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:43 AM   #336
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Talked to my machinist. The head flowed 90cfm over stock which he didn't have the base numbers for at the moment. By his calculations, the engine can make 400hp as is naturally aspirated but of course it most likely won't on pump gas. I was always hoping for 300 rwhp so we will see.

The body is being mocked up so it can be painted.

Dropped off the front subframe and torsion bar brackets for powdercoat and got a high quality reman steering rack.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #337
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Patiently awaiting cool progress update pictures =)
Old 05-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #338
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Machinist got the tighter main bearings and had crank, one rod and piston in so he can check piston to valve clearance.

He said he recalls stock intake cfm being 148 and he got it to 238! Got 75% of that on exhaust. Huge increase! He said should be done very soon now.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #339
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'm loving that FJ20ET in the R30. It's literally the predecessor to the sr20 and is basically an iron block sr20 with better valvetrain. Huge potential for power and durability but aftermarket support is few and far between outside of custom parts. Love it.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #340
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

kanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nice
I am crying this is so good!

I was looking at a lot of Zs like this before I ended up with my S13 vert. I totally love the direction you're going. And wow that color is so good. The builds on this site are out of control. I need to step my game up and stop being a sissy! aha Cheers from Tampa Bay
kanyedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #341
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Thank you, gentlemen!!

I went by to talk how we wanted the rear bumper to look. The first plan was to section, shorten and shave the 87-89 bumper but after we started comparing the two on the car, we decided to use the early rear bumper and he would start sectioning it. I was adament about having the rear bumper 1.5-2" closer to the body to match more modern proportions and ideally, I wanted to replicate the depth of an R34 GTR rear bumper. 30 minutes later he sent me this pic which is perfect!! He is going to fill that center bumper body line that's totally out of place too btw. The other two pics are just the start of the final mockup before paint. He was going to spend all day today and all day Monday on that so will post more photos soon.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #342
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

So impressed! And a shot of how the old bumper looked to see how it was sectioned, shortened and will be blended.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #343
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Toon vectors

Old 05-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #344
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

About a year or so ago, all the detailed photos I had from the intial teardown got deleted somehow when there was a software update on my phone. I checked everywhere and could not find them. It was a heart wrenching moment when I realized it because I took such great care to document everything. Always knew the easiest thing would be to find another car to have and dissasemble it as I reassemble the other one. Mainly under the dash because I removed everything and it was quite a bit more complex than you would imagine. Can't hurt to have some spare parts along the way as well.

Today I found that car after searching almost daily ever since that initial moment where I lost everything. I only wanted something $500 or less and local within 20-30 miles. Not much to look at and has a locked up wheel but it's complete and original. They wanted $600, I offered $400 and then told them $500 and they could just call me back. We settled there and I think it's absolutely worth it. I already know of at least 3 parts I need which I have not been able to find.

I also just realized it has the $200+ mudflaps!

Old 05-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #345
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Machinist is putting the oil pump and crank gear on today! Then he can check the piston to valve clearance. The only slightly questionable number is the piston to deck clearance. CP wanted the flat portion of the piston to come out of the deck .014 inch and it's at .016 now. Hopefully minor enough that I don't need to up the HG from 1.2mm to 1.5mm. Very exciting that it's finally coming together.

Stopped by the body shop and the Kouki front end is all fitted and gapped. He is going to do some modificatons to eliminate the annoying rubber trim strip that goes between the bumper and fenders/hood. That and the long rear bumper have always been the small details I hated the most about the Z31. The side skirts are dry fitted and he will need to tighten them up a tad without the rubber gasket strip. I want everything to be super clean and tight.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #346
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

kanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nice
Very nice. Yes that line from the front wing to the bumper needs to be handled! Maybe able it up so it seems to progress into the fender or just eliminate it altogether like you were saying. I like the mismatch of colors too haha. but I know it will all be one in the end. That hue of yellow is so good
Old 05-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #347
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

The hood part is easy because you can slide the bracket forward ever so slightly. But the front sides of the bumper are moulded to have that piece so the mounting points stick out past the edge. They plan to cut that off and make a tab on the back side to reinforce and will adhere it back on. I am sure that is easy compared to everything else he has done so far. The side skirts don't quite bit as tight as we thought either so he plans to make a few modifications to bring them tighter to the body. It's really close now and I cannot wait to see it all in that color! But yes, the multi has quickly grown on me and it's been referred to as the Harlequin Z31 now lol.

Here is the piece being removed. It's a weird trim/spacer piece and when removed, creates a 1/8-3/16" gap between the bumper and fenders/hood.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #348
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
sexy looking as usual
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 PM   #349
Wknd

Wknd is an unknown quantity at this point
There's something oddly satisfying about mismatched panels and seeing the work in progress.
Can't wait for the end result.
Wknd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #350
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Agreed!

Picked up the front crossmember, torsion bar brackets and the intake manifold from the powdercoater.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #351
NextTimeJr

NextTimeJr is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking good!! That shortened bumper looks so much better compared to the factory shelf of a bumper they had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NextTimeJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:10 PM   #352
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

The guy who bought my R31 wanted to have it painted before he took delivery. It's almost finished and then he will be back on my car. Engine should be finished any time and all he wants to do now is check piston to valve clearance with aggressive cam settings. Going to try and use some Mikuni 44PHH velocity stacks on the RB26 throttle bodies and just notch the holes since the RB is 70mm and the Mikuni's are 65mm center to center.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #353
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

So yuummm. That two tone is oof!
Old 07-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #354
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Old 07-13-2019, 07:21 AM   #355
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

I definitely need to raise it back up a tad but man it looks good like this. I simply adore this car and am so impressed/pleased with my purchase. The underside is incredible with no rust or leaks of any sort. Everything is adjustable. Heims on the rear trailing arms, beautifully finished off rear upper shock adjusters accesible from the interior, adjustable tension rods, 2" bump steer spacers and almost all hardware is still cad plated. The interior is super nice and the racing seat really doesn't bother me.

The paint is very well done but it is not glass out so there is some minor tape lines on some of the rubber but it doesn't bother me at all. The hood fitment/finish is better than I expected being fiberglass but I am still looking for a stock steel one.

Best riding coilovers I have ever experienced.

Getting used to the diff but still definitelely want to switch to something more streetable.

Lastly, I kind of like the all green so not sure if I will follow through with the 2 tone wrap or not. Will at least give it a while.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #356
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
That MF clean
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #357
Ka24Power
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
Ka24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
That R30 is beyond good. Never seen one that made me want to own one until now.

How’s the Z31 coming? Dying to see it with some paint, I’m sure you are too.

Last edited by Ka24Power; 07-16-2019 at 10:15 AM..
Ka24Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #358
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Z31 is supposed to be done with paint in 3 weeks!
Old 07-19-2019, 02:09 AM   #359
Counteract
Leaky Injector

Counteract is an unknown quantity at this point
Your R30 is incredible! I searched the last few pages for a paint code but couldn't find one - is it Millennium Jade?
Counteract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:14 AM   #360
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Thank you and yes, it is millenium jade! It's a beautiful color and this car was incredibly well built. My expectations were exceeded which was fantastic after waiting 5 months for it to arrive!