Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-17-2014, 12:18 AM   #1
ksharp
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
ksharp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LSD noob! Help me out!

So today I just picked up a S13 coupe. The seller tells me he put a Nismo 1.5 way LSD in recently. Now I've never driven a car with an aftermarket LSD before but it seems to lock up really well, almost too well. I notice the tires chirp on low speed, tight turns. I've seen people run welded diffs before and it is similar to that kind of behavior. Now I had a good amount of time to talk to the seller today as we had to wait to get the smog done before I bought the car and he came off as a trustworthy guy that was really open to any questions I had. He told me that he bought the LSD off craiglist and put it in himself. He didnt mention what type of Nismo LSD it was besides it was 1.5 way. I have no reason to believe he lied to me about putting a Nismo LSD in there but I've never really heard of LSD's locking this hard similar to a welded diff. I guess my question is, is this type of behavior normal?
ksharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
cbh148
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
cbh148 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Your safest bet would be to pop the diff cover off and take a look for yourself (take pics of it while you're in there). Maybe you can drop the diff from the subframe without disconnecting the axles so that you can remove the diff cover without completely removing the diff (cover bolts might be too tricky to get to this way; never tried it myself, never needed to).

It's worth figuring out for certain because, not only is that a valuable part to have (which could factor into how good/bad of a deal you got on the car based on the price you paid), but also because, if it is a clutch-type LSD, then it needs special care taken to maintain it by purchasing the proper fluids and changing them on schedule.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Does it clunk? If yes, then it is clutch-type (Nismo etc). If not, judging by how you say the tires are chirping, it is welded.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
silverarrow27
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
silverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I have a Nismo 2-way in my s13 coupe and it in no way chirps tires unless you're popping the clutch when shifting and a mighty stiff clutch. However, you'll get a lot of clunking and slight jerking when making turns though. Even going up or down driveways at an angle too. I've been thinking about trading it for an s15 hlsd though, getting old and I don't think I can handle the Nismo lsd anymore LOL
Old 11-17-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
ksharp
Leaky Injector

ksharp is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks guys. I'm starting it think its a welded diff in the car and not an LSD. Doesnt really affect the deal I got, I still feel like I paid a reasonable price even without the Nismo LSD. Wish it wasnt a welded diff tho, wouldve preferred an open diff to it as I'm not really into drifting. I'll probably take it apart next month when out of school for winter break and decide where to go from there.
ksharp is offline   Reply With Quote