Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-27-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
rosssk

Trader Rating: (0)
rosssk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wiring help

i just got my first 240, it’s a 1991. ive been trying to diagnose why half of my huge cluster doesn’t work. The only things that work are the gas gauge and coolant temp, brake, and oil light. i took out the cluster and everything was hooked up but one black wire was cut, i turned the car on to see if there was power and their was none at all. i looked the ECU and most of the wires are cut. I need some help diagnosing. Thanks.
rosssk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
If You approach a vehicle and don't already know what every wire is and does,

you can either
A. use the factory service manual, sit down with it and trace each wire to learn its identity and then use that info to fix the problems

B. an alternative is to simply replace the damaged harnesses. You would want a new engine and chassis harness or sub-harnesses depending on whats been cut or what you cannot fix etc...

Other than that I'm not sure what to tell you with the info you provided

I dont know what engine is in the car. Is that an sr20 redtop swap? because if so that brown plug is part of the wiring the owner has to do etc...
You should report
the ecu number
the engine and transmission
the year of the engine and year of the chassis
modifications
idk relevant info like pics of the engine, wiring, the ecu, post tons of pictures. Make like 20 pictures of the car and wiring etc... so people can see what ur dealing with. Lots of bored people here with too much time on their hands that can yell at you what to do next
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosssk View Post
i just got my first 240, it’s a 1991. ive been trying to diagnose why half of my huge cluster doesn’t work. The only things that work are the gas gauge and coolant temp, brake, and oil light. i took out the cluster and everything was hooked up but one black wire was cut, i turned the car on to see if there was power and their was none at all. i looked the ECU and most of the wires are cut. I need some help diagnosing. Thanks[/IMG]
why is your cluster huge?

what engine do you have?

what has been modified on the car? Is it an engine swap? Did you convert to electric motors and ditch internal combustion altogether?

theres a whooooooole lot of answers waiting for you in the FSM wiring diagrams, but when you don't give us information, we can't really help direct you.

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/ni...e-manuals.html

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
rosssk

Sorry for the lack of info, the car has a bone stock KA24E, no modifications at all. I think it had a swap at one point because it has holes cut for intercooler piping but i’m guessing before they sold it, they put the single cam back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2020, 02:15 PM   #5
super.trick
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
super.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
91 came with the KA24DE, not E, so yeah... not even sure where to begin with this one.

The DOHC tach uses a different single than SOHC, so that will never work right unless you swap clusters. There are just so many potential sources of trouble with three different engines having been wired up in there. If the engine is good and you want to keep it, I would try to find a SOHC cluster and a new harness and save yourself the headache.
super.trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
rosssk

awesome, thank you

Old 01-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #7
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
IMO find a KA24DE with harness and 120-150k miles with clean oil somewhere for $200-$300 and swap it in. Somebody is doing an SR swap and needs to get rid of that shit

Oh, is this 2002? hmm sorry maybe thats an impossible task now but thats how we used to do things

I'd take one with an auto and just drive it forever. They last forever I think, I never broke one so I dunno
Old 01-28-2020, 11:20 PM   #8
JDM240z
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
JDM240z is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I broke my stock auto last year haha. Trans is just fine but the motor threw a chain smh. It was a sad day. Now I have a KA24DET CD009 build going on. I have a large color wiring diagram book I will check for you. Post better pics of the cut harness near the ecu. I need the colors to verify.

Super.Trick is correct about the tach. You need to match the cluster to the motor. You can swap the whole cluster or just the actual tach unit out of a SOHC cluster. It’s delicate but I had to do that with my Last build and it’s doable.
JDM240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:22 PM   #9
rosssk

i’ll post some in the morning. thanks man!

Old 01-28-2020, 11:39 PM   #10
JDM240z
Leaky Injector

No prob. Also remove the passenger kick panel and take a look at the ECU plug and wiring. If anything is hacked up take a pick of that as well. The cut harness you pictured is for the ECU to dash connector. That’s most likely the issue since it sends sensor info to the cluster.

Yellow/Red Stripe = Tach Signal
Yellow/Green = Speedo
Orange = Ignition
Black Is just a ground.

The other wires are for your working gauges and the Consult signals. If your running a SOHC ECU you don’t have Consult monitoring anyway.
JDM240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:36 AM   #11
rosssk

here’s my ecu

Old 01-29-2020, 11:37 AM   #12
rosssk

these are the wires cut

Old 01-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #13
rosssk

these are the connected wires

Old 02-01-2020, 05:04 PM   #14
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

iirc
yellow/red is the tach signal for rpm in the dash
blue/black is cts for the dash
and orange is the ECU 'start' signal, i believe it goes +12v when cranking but I could be wrong

Much of that bundle has to do with the dash signals. I can't remember what else there is but its not much. Tach... speedo... cts... not much. If the engine starts and runs and you can get the right cluster it should work
Old 02-01-2020, 08:29 PM   #15
JDM240z
Leaky Injector

So to clarify, you only have a few signals working on the cluster, some are chassis harness signals and some are motor harness signals.

Gas. Chassis signal
Brake. Chassis signal
Coolant. Motor Signal
Oil. Motor Signal

Here is the pin out for the KA24e ECU. You will need to match the appropriate SOHC motor signal colors to the appropriate DOHC cluster harness wire colors.

http://prjktmayhem.com/2015/09/20/nissan-ecus-ca-sr-ka/

Here are the colors most likely found in your DOHC cluster harness. Most you will need, some you may not even have depending on options and trim. These colors are per the 92 240 wiring diagram.

Illumination - Blue/Red, Blue

Cruise - Green/White

High beam - Red/Green

Turn Left - Green/Black

Turn Right - Green/Yellow

Clock - Red/Black

Speedo - Yellow/Blue, Yellow/Black, Green

Tach - Yellow/Red

Fuel - Green/Blue

Coolant Temp - Blue Black

Door - Red/White

Brake - Yellow/Purple