Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States DC, Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Amopower

Trader Rating: (0)
Amopower is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
VA State Inspection

My car was rejected for state inspection due to a missing battery hold down. At first I thought ok, I'll give, but then I tried to prove they had the right to reject me for that. I could not find a battery hold down check as part of the VA State Inspection. Does anyone have *proof* (not opinion) that the battery hold down being present is something they have the right to look for?
Amopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
qwikspool
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
qwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to qwikspool
hello and welcome to zilvia. i found this through google. hopefully this will help you out.

Here's a list of some of the things that they check:
Steering
-Steering wheel, column, steering lash, steering linkage (tie rods, drag link, pitman arm, idler arm, rack & pinion, steering box, power steering including power steering belt condition)
Wheel Alignment
-Toe In/Out readings
Suspension
-Ball joints or king pins, struts, shock absorbers, wheel bearings, springs/shackles, torsion bars, stabilizer, control arms
Brakes
-Road test, hydraulic system, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, drums, rotors, linings, pads, brake booster system, parking brake, mechanical components
*Note: due to the road test requirement, an inspection may not be able to be performed during rain, snow or other inclement weather.
Wheels and Tires
Fuel System
-Tank, fuel cap, fuel lines, tubing and hoses, accelerator operation
Exhaust System
-Manifolds, piping, muffler
Front and Rear Bumpers
Fenders
Lights
-Turn signals including self-cancel, back up lights, hazard lights, brake warning light (on instrument panel), high beam indicator, stop (brake) lights, tail lights, parking lights, side marker lights, reflectors, tag lights, dash lights, clearance/ID lamps (where required), headlights, headlight aim, headlight adjusters, fog/auxiliary driving lights and aim
Electrical System
-Horn, switches and wiring, Neutral Safety/Clutch start switch, battery (proper installation and hold down)
Mirrors
-Interior and exterior mirrors (where required)
Glazing/Windows
-Driver's door window and window operation, windshield, other window damage or window tinting.
*Note: window tinting on certain windows on certain vehicles may have to be certified by the Maryland State Police at the Motor Vehicle Administration before it will pass the safety inspection.
Windshield Wipers
-Arms/blades, park position, controls
Hood/Catches
Doors/Handles/Latches
Floor/Trunk Pans
Speedometer/Odometer
-Operation and legibility
Driver's Seat
-Mounting and operation
Safety/Seat Belts
-Front - 1964 and newer, Rear - 1969 and newer
Engine/Transmission Mounts
Gear Shift Indicator
Universal and CV Joints
Emissions
-Catalytic converter, fuel filler, PCV, air injection, EGR, evaporative emissions
qwikspool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Amopower

Thanks for your reply, but I am afraid the citation you picked is NOT Virginia code, but rather Maryland.
Also, I have thoroughly resaerched the VA inspection code and did not find this there, so I am just asking if anyone thinks I missed it.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
va240dude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (161)
va240dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 161 reviews
I used to work at Nissan and YES a battery that was not tied down FAILED. You can ask any inspection station to show you the VA inspection book they should have on hand to prove that.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
va240dude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (161)
va240dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 161 reviews
And it was in Virginia btw...sorry for not including that.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
Amopower

I did ask them to show me in the book, they couldnt find the citation. I also researched the code online, both the condensed version Virginia State Police - Safety Division as well as the code itself.
This is not mentioned anywhere.
If an inspection station fails you on something, then it MUST be a regulation that can be proven.

(I figured Virginia for you as I see that in your profile)
Old 12-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amopower View Post
I did ask them to show me in the book, they couldnt. I also researched the code online, both the condensed version Virginia State Police - Safety Division as well as the code itself.
This is not mentioned anywhere.
If an inspection station fails you on something, then it MUST be a regulation that can be proven.

(I figured Virginia for you as I see that in your profile)
East Penn 00678 Batt Hold Down Kit

$4 bro. CLEARLY it's required. just because they didn't have it in the book doesn't mean common sense shouldn't prevail here. why are you bitching and arguing over something that is a $4 fix? here are your options (all are better then making a thread on zilvia complaining about it):

1. stop being a cheapass and buy the part
2. stop being a whiner and complaining that they couldn't prove (i can assure you it's no conspiracy)
3. go to another shop and try getting inspected again or at least see their book since you're clearly losing sleep over this
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
Amopower

Thanks sideways, I know that holddowns are relatively cheap and that is not the issue here, it is the principle of the thing. If you are going to get a traffic citation, wouldn't you want to know that the cop actuallly had the right to cite you in the first place? Same thing here...
p.s. if it is *clearly* required in VA, go ahead show me if it is that clear.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
Amopower

So your theory is just deal with it, don't worry if they cant prove it to you. Sorry, I dont go for that mindset, and I was asking for opinions from people who know for a fact whether this is a requirement or not, period.
I am not losing sleep over it, I have already sent a request in to the State.
Like I said before, maybe this is more clear - if a cop pulls you over because your car is way too shiny and he thinks it is a safety violation for others getting blinded, and charges you say ten bucks for the ticket, I bet your attitude would change then wouldnt it? (or would you pay the ten bucks, lol)
Old 12-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
they shouldn't need to prove it to you because it's common sense, however someone who used to work at nissan doing inspections just told you it is required. as i said, quit bitching, man up, and either go to a new inspection station and try and get lucky or get a new one. plain and simple
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
qwikspool
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
qwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to qwikspool
my 1991 240sx doesn't have a batter tie down and when i went to get my safety inspection done, i passed without it. I did go to the auto hobby shop here in NOB. I guess it just depends on which station you go.
qwikspool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
Amopower

Yeah I have also passed inspection twice here in VA without one, and it shouldn't have to depend on which station you go to. I'll find out the true deal here in a few days once I get feedback from the state cops.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
95sw21

95sw21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yeah I have also passed inspection twice here in VA without one, and it shouldn't have to depend on which station you go to..
dude, its human error. Just becuase one place didnt catch it doesnt mean the shop down the street wont either.. and btw, the battery needs to be properly secured. replace it, get your sticker and get over it.
95sw21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
Amopower

Once again, my original post asked if anyone has proof this is required in VA, not opinion. Enough said.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #15
kennn
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (17)
kennn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
I don't know what the inspector has in mind. My best guess:

Under the frame section

"Any movement is detected at any location where any device has been placed between the body and the chassis".

Page 120-1 of the VA State Inspection Manual.

Your best bet is to ask the inspector directly. If you don't like his decision you can always appeal to the state police and go on from there.
kennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #16
95sw21

95sw21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Once again, my original post asked if anyone has proof this is required in VA, not opinion. Enough said.
LIS > Administrative Code > 19VAC30-70-90

point number 10
95sw21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #17
Amopower

Thank you, I was just coming on here to post that I found the citation as well. Nice place to put it, under the emergency brake section.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #18
02 camry le
Leaky Injector

02 camry le is an unknown quantity at this point
i just do mines pay 40 bucks then approve instant
02 camry le is offline   Reply With Quote