Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-08-2014, 12:18 AM   #1
Randomhero40

Trader Rating: (0)
Randomhero40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RB RB20 Swapped S13 problem.

Hey ya'll. New to the forums. So if this is posted in the wrong spot, I apologize. Please move it to the correct location if need be.

Anyways, I'm having a problem with my car, and I'm looking to see if someone can help me figure it out. I've got a 93 240 hatch with an RB20DET swap. The swap was done by the previous owner, not by me. The car is my daily, and I've had it around 3 months, without any problems until now.

About a week ago, I was driving, and the car gave a sputter. I stopped at a stoplight a little after, and the car died on me. However, it started right back up. Its done this a few more times over the course over the last week. The "Sputter" seems to be getting worse though. When it does it, I get no throttle response. I can mash on the gas, but the car just loses speed. At first it would sputter and catch allowing me to keep driving, but now when it does it I have to pull over and let the car die. And at first the car would start right back up, but now it takes a minute before it'll start again. The car also has an idling problem, where the idle likes to fluctuate up and sometimes down while in neutral. Not sure if that could be related or a separate problem.

Anyone have input on whats causing this? I've replaced the fuel pump with a 255 and it didn't solve it. Have spark plugs ordered and when they get here I'll put them in. If that doesn't work my next things to replace are the MAF and TPS.
Randomhero40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #2
XMcEvilson
Zilvia Member

XMcEvilson is an unknown quantity at this point
is it all stock? I would guess coil packs
XMcEvilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:47 AM   #3
Randomhero40

Randomhero40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah. All stock except for the air intake.
Randomhero40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
TwoForDeh
Zilvia Junkie

TwoForDeh is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like it could be coil packs or a boost leak or even a fuel issue
TwoForDeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
lamgee

lamgee is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds like ignition problem. most likely coilpacks died. easy to troubleshoot. unplug one each time and start the car - you will see which one works or doesnt. if you have consult cable - read the code. should show 21 if ignition. also ignition module can die if all coilpacks dont act consistent. spark plugs just unscrew and read. rb motors like ls coils swap. read on gtrcanada how its done - never worry about sputter or hesitation again. oh and get rid of 255. rb dont like walbro. good luck

edit: my phone bad
lamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Could be fuel pump too.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
90GTpony

Trader Rating: (2)
90GTpony is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
More than likely a coil pack issue. They very commonly go out because of the heat and age. Could also be a Vacuum/Boost leak.
90GTpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
My money is on a fuel pump.
Where do you buy your gas?
High ethanol kills fuel pumps.