Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
rfs324
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
rfs324 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stumped after troubleshooting pop up headlight

Hey guys,
The drivers side popup light on my s13 hatch would not raise. Tested all the relays, functional. Metered out the wires at the connector, and the popup motor gets the 12v down switch signal, but it doesn't lower. Okay, bad motor. Order a new one, install it. Now neither light is functional. The passenger side no longer goes up or down.
Any suggestions what could have happened?
The wiring schematics in the FSM are complete shit.
rfs324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2019, 06:05 AM   #2
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
double check all your grounds, make sure they have good contact (no rust, etc).
Old 02-09-2019, 07:05 AM   #3
rfs324
Leaky Injector

Thought of that, sanded contacts, but I will double check with some voltage drop tests. Any other ideas?
Old 02-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #4
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Bad switch? The S13 stalks are known to shit the bed.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
rfs324
Leaky Injector

Don't think it's the switch since it was sending the signal wwhen I metered the wires and it was triggering the right side like up and down until I replace the left motor.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #6
rfs324
Leaky Injector

Did a voltage drop test on the grounds, no difference between the ground on the motors and the battery. Metered the headlamp motor plug, now there is no signal going to any of the wires! TF!? All I did was change the motor. Next step is to meter the headlight switch and see if the switch is actually sending the signal, although it was sending just fine before I swapped the motor. Any other suggestions?
Old 02-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #7
Prince of Saiyans

Trader Rating: (2)
Prince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I had a similar issue. Only one side wanted to work. I sanded my contacts but still didnt work. Got a new switch and BAM worked fine. Even though I cleaned up the contacts I think there were just to pitted.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
rfs324
Leaky Injector

Which switch did you replace? The stalk on the column?
Old 02-19-2019, 01:05 AM   #9
Prince of Saiyans

Trader Rating: (2)
Prince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yup the one on the column. Same one with the copper contacts that you sanded. I had two problems with mine. On one side the pop up wouldn't go up or down but did light up. The other side went up and down but didn't light up. When I sanded the copper contacts I got both lights to turn on but the one pop up still didn't work and I cleaned the crap outta those contacts with a Dremel. New column switch fixed it for me. Might be the same for you. If you have a buddy with S13 might want to try and swap it, to see if it works. Good luck man.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
tacobellman_2007
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
tacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I had an issue with mine never going down. They would go up using the switch but I could never put them back down unless I turned the knobs manually. After doing almost every single thing associated with troubleshooting the pop-up headlight-stuck-in-position issue (thoroughly and carefully cleaning the contacts on the switch, swapping out the switch for a known working one, swapping entire pop-up headlight assemblies and motors, triple checking grounds, etc.), the last thing I did was replace the headlight timer box located on the left side of the driver side legs area by the fuse panel and voila, shit worked like nothing ever happened lmao T_T

Amateur photography by me
tacobellman_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote