Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
surreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
1993 240sx: replace arm or just ball joint?

this is the front lower control arm ball joint.

Last edited by surreybc; 05-26-2008 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: confused ball joint and bushing
surreybc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
TheArkitekt
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
TheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i used a jack stand and a hammer to get mine out, put the new ball joint in the freezer before you install it and hit the arm with a torch it works fine
TheArkitekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
sac
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
sac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
its easiest to just replace the arm.
yes it will make a difference in alignment, which is why they sell aftermarket FLCA's w/ball joint that are adjustable.
but i perfer the oem flca. IF its not bent i personally would just replace the ball joint itself, not the whole arm.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
stinky_180
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
stinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stinky_180
a set of front s13 lower control arms can be had for around 100 bucks... new bushing, new ball joint, fresh paint......
Old 05-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Front Lower Ball Joint Installer

TSW Ball Joints 15 bucks each at Autozone
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
Xandy Boosts
Zilvia FREAK!

Xandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Xandy Boosts
I was gonna replace the whole arm but if it's really only $15 at autozone, I'm just gonna go with that instead. Online they only have $35 duralast ones, let me go check instore though.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 PM   #7
DoriSaruMark
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
DoriSaruMark is just really niceDoriSaruMark is just really niceDoriSaruMark is just really niceDoriSaruMark is just really niceDoriSaruMark is just really niceDoriSaruMark is just really niceDoriSaruMark is just really niceDoriSaruMark is just really niceDoriSaruMark is just really niceDoriSaruMark is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
go out and buy s14 LCAs.

they are a direct bolt on and are about an inch longer than S13s. gives you more steering angle and more camber. just remember to get an alignment right after because your toe, caster and camber are dramatically changed.
-good luck!
DoriSaruMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandy Boosts View Post
I was gonna replace the whole arm but if it's really only $15 at autozone, I'm just gonna go with that instead. Online they only have $35 duralast ones, let me go check instore though.
Im sorry dude i posted the wrong info
I mixed the price with the Tie Rod ends
I got both at the same time m._.m

But the lower ball joints are a pain to get out, Intallation is easy if you do it my way ^^ lol

you could get the S14's LCA but the ball joints ?cone? /\ is thicker so i dont know how well that would work with the S13 hub assembly
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:02 AM   #9
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

surreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond repute
bushing is different from ball joint

Last edited by surreybc; 05-14-2008 at 01:46 AM..
Old 05-14-2008, 01:23 AM   #10
stinky_180
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
stinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stinky_180
Quote:
Originally Posted by surreybc View Post
Good stuff

Heres an article that describes how to replace lower control arm ball joint with 3 piece energy suspension bushings. He burns out the bushing and does not need press because the new ball joint is three piece. I think from autozone.
he replaced the lower control arm bushing, not the ball joint
Old 05-14-2008, 01:44 AM   #11
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky_180 View Post
he replaced the lower control arm bushing, not the ball joint
somebody is paying attention
Old 05-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Yea, PDM has the whole arm with the joint pressed in for $115. That's the easiest/best route IMO. That's what I did. No dickin around. Just remove old and put in new.

Here you go!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #13
Saviorsoul
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Saviorsoul is making his/her stupidity well-knownSaviorsoul is making his/her stupidity well-knownSaviorsoul is making his/her stupidity well-knownSaviorsoul is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArkitekt View Post
i used a jack stand and a hammer to get mine out, put the new ball joint in the freezer before you install it and hit the arm with a torch it works fine
who randomly has a torch?.. Wish I had one when I needed it!
Saviorsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
silnismo
Zilvia Addict

silnismo will become famous soon enoughsilnismo will become famous soon enoughsilnismo will become famous soon enoughsilnismo will become famous soon enoughsilnismo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
Yea, PDM has the whole arm with the joint pressed in for $115. That's the easiest/best route IMO. That's what I did. No dickin around. Just remove old and put in new.

Here you go!
beat me to it.

yeah, seriouly go w/ PDM.
silnismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #15
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
somebody is paying attention
We all are, but there's no such thing as a 3 piece ball joint. Bushings can be bought in a 3 piece design though. So are you asking about the ball joint, or the bushing?

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #16
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post

Here you go!

thanks. they are local and say i can pick up so no shipping.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #17
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
We all are, but there's no such thing as a 3 piece ball joint. Bushings can be bought in a 3 piece design though. So are you asking about the ball joint, or the bushing?

ball joint. hope i didnt confuse anybody
Old 05-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #18
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saviorsoul View Post
who randomly has a torch?.. Wish I had one when I needed it!
cant you use one of those $10 propane torches? Im going to try to use one to get muffler bolts off.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #19
TheArkitekt
Zilvia Member

TheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
cant you use one of those $10 propane torches? Im going to try to use one to get muffler bolts off.
yeah thats what i was talking about,

i do have a plasma cutter, but thats just way overkill for this situation. haha
TheArkitekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #20
Xandy Boosts
Zilvia FREAK!

Xandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Xandy Boosts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
Front Lower Ball Joint Installer

TSW Ball Joints 15 bucks each at Autozone
I'm tryin to figure out how your ball joint press works but I can't quite get it right in my head...care to explain?

It took me awhile to understand how to use sockets and a long bolt/washers/nuts to remove bushings
Old 05-14-2008, 10:20 PM   #21
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

As he tightens the bolt, pressure is directed down to control arm through the sockets so ball joint forced up. not sure what the stand is for accept to prevent control arm from bending where the sockets are pressing down.
some of the youtube videos might be useful
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSadIUnS6Pc[/ame]

this is pic of my 93 s13 ball join

this is not my ball joint. ca

these are ball joints for s13

Last edited by surreybc; 05-14-2008 at 10:55 PM..
Old 05-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #22
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=286600&page=1

heres a faq on replacing lower control arm. he gave up using the fork to remove ball joint and used sludge hammer. prolly bad idea especially if you are keeping ball joint and arm. i think the trick is just to keep hammering fork for a long time.

i see a lot of people use the jack at front axle. have to find the right spot to lift from.

using a fork to release ball joint
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T2ZCEZl20g[/ame]

Last edited by surreybc; 05-15-2008 at 06:32 AM..
Old 06-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #23
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
anyone have the ball joint part number?
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:18 PM   #24
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
But a 12 yr old thread to simple google a part...smh u should know better

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/oem-...all_joint.html
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote