Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #22441
TheBlackHand
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
TheBlackHand is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeilaS14 View Post
yeah engines turns over but thats it, never starts. also cleaned all grounds and positives from any gunk to make sure it was making a connection. not sure what other info to give.. engine just keeps kranking. car started before i switched out the alternator, got it up on ramps, after that it hasnt started.

I was just reading on another forum where someone had the same no start issue as you after replacing the alternator. The battery was damaged from the alternator going out even though it had correct voltage and would turn the engine over. I've never heard of this but I guess it's possible.
It's worth trying another known good battery and seeing if it'll start.
TheBlackHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2019, 05:11 PM   #22442
LeilaS14

Trader Rating: (0)
LeilaS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
Sounds like you missed a connection on the alternator. Triple check the connections again and make sure there isn't some stupid little wire tucked out of the way, disconnected.
alright was finally able to take a look under there and everything look in place where it should be all grounded and no tucked away wires. im going crazy...
LeilaS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:14 PM   #22443
LeilaS14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackHand View Post
I was just reading on another forum where someone had the same no start issue as you after replacing the alternator. The battery was damaged from the alternator going out even though it had correct voltage and would turn the engine over. I've never heard of this but I guess it's possible.
It's worth trying another known good battery and seeing if it'll start.
thats so weird.. doesnt make any sense, i mean maybe thats the case if the bettery was still connected for him but i took mine out before i did anything. ill check with a different tho to make sure.

UPDATE: after taking out my moms car battery and testing it on my car. same thing is happening. engine turns over but never starts.

Last edited by LeilaS14; 01-02-2019 at 06:16 PM..
Old 01-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #22444
LeilaS14

Quote:
Sounds like you missed a connection on the alternator. Triple check the connections again and make sure there isn't some stupid little wire tucked out of the way, disconnected.
so i was finally able to check and everything is in place with no hidden wires.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:30 AM   #22445
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspa View Post
MY s14 makes a weird grinding noise from the front right of the car whenever I make a right turn... any suggestions?
Wheel bearing, or potentially the brake dust shield rubbing on the outer edge of the rotor. dependent on the type of " grinding "

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280VertDET View Post
reposting for a fresh set of eyes:
I haven't had experience with the Bosch 65lb, but I did use this dworks model without issues for the 3 years I had that specific car.

I suppose it's just subjective at this point
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:21 AM   #22446
caspa
Leaky Injector

caspa is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
Wheel bearing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
When I jacked up my car I didn't feel or hear any play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti tyler View Post
Wheel bearing, or potentially the brake dust shield rubbing on the outer edge of the rotor. dependent on the type of " grinding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1A59YD_G7k

So my car kind of sounds similar to this guy's car in the video.... More so when I'm braking and that DEEP grinding noise when I make a right turn.
caspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #22447
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
When I jacked up my car I didn't feel or hear any play.
Wheel bearings can go bad without getting wobbly.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #22448
caspa
Leaky Injector

Quote:
After doing some extensive research, you guys are right... My wheel bearings are shot. Where is the best place to get new s14 Bearing Hub assemblies?

EDIT: my s14 is a 95. It was converted to 5 lugs. I'm trying to figure out is there a difference between the BASE and SE s14 wheel bearing hubs? my s14 is non abs also.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #22449
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out is there a difference between the BASE and SE s14 wheel bearing hubs? my s14 is non abs also.
Nope. Non ABS are all the same.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #22450
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Vouch! My car had all new brakes,(Centric Stop Tech upgraded OE calipers, Stop Tech Sport pads, Stop Tech Sport grooved rotors) to include Stop Tech SS lines, hardware, and brand new fluid. After a month or so, it started pulling to the right under hard braking. We checked brake hard lines, hardware, master and slave(which were replaced a month prior), everything we touched and all oe hard lines, NOTHING wrong. Two days later, oh yeah, on teh way to the shop to see if we could figure this shit out, and wobble like a motherfucker, damn wheel bearing...new front hubs(you ever try to find new front hubs for a 96, fuck me runnin it's hard, shit damn near does not exist) Car was beautiful for about two weeks, then SHTF, shifter broke, starter went out, and even though timing is on, I think Distributor has finally lost it's inner capacitor.

It's the hubs becuase brakes don't make deep noises
Old 01-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #22451
Xaser
Zilvia Junkie

Xaser is an unknown quantity at this point
the moist stupid question, i search but i cant find the right answer.

Why some 180sx tail light and center fit right, and some is like more excelled ?

Pic

This fit fine _ http://prntscr.com/m3rnl3

And this not http://prntscr.com/m3rqew
Xaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #22452
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaser View Post
the moist stupid question, i search but i cant find the right answer.

Why some 180sx tail light and center fit right, and some is like more excelled ?

Pic

This fit fine _ http://prntscr.com/m3rnl3

And this not http://prntscr.com/m3rqew
It's because the 180SX Kouki tail light bubble out a little bit. The US 240SX lights are flat. So in order to do the proper conversion, you also need the metal trim piece below the lights. A full kit includes the lights, metal trim, and a longer trunk lock cylinder.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:55 PM   #22453
Xaser
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
It's because the 180SX Kouki tail light bubble out a little bit. The US 240SX lights are flat. So in order to do the proper conversion, you also need the metal trim piece below the lights. A full kit includes the lights, metal trim, and a longer trunk lock cylinder.
I have a Eu 200sx, i bought the metal trim with kouki lights plus harness , and have this trouble i gonna take new photos.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #22454
Xaser
Zilvia Junkie

Here's the photos

http://prntscr.com/m3x7b9

http://prntscr.com/m3x7no
Old 01-06-2019, 09:08 PM   #22455
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
You got the wrong metal trim.

It's supposed to flair out to meet the lights.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #22456
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
After doing some extensive research, you guys are right... My wheel bearings are shot. Where is the best place to get new s14 Bearing Hub assemblies?

EDIT: my s14 is a 95. It was converted to 5 lugs. I'm trying to figure out is there a difference between the BASE and SE s14 wheel bearing hubs? my s14 is non abs also.
240sxconversions dot com
Old 01-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #22457
Xaser
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
You got the wrong metal trim.

It's supposed to flair out to meet the lights.
Ok, so, is 2 version for that piece with type X tail lights ( metal round shape) ?

Because i bought the oem one ( FR sport) with whole kit, and fit like the wrong photo.

Im afraid to bought a new one and fit the same way.

thanks in advance
Old 01-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #22458
caspa
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
Nope. Non ABS are all the same.

What about ABS hubs?

and by the way, I was inspecting my car today and noticed my s14 had "abs rings" on the wheel hubs... but the car doesn't have abs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
Vouch! My car had all new brakes,(Centric Stop Tech upgraded OE calipers, Stop Tech Sport pads, Stop Tech Sport grooved rotors) to include Stop Tech SS lines, hardware, and brand new fluid. After a month or so, it started pulling to the right under hard braking. We checked brake hard lines, hardware, master and slave(which were replaced a month prior), everything we touched and all oe hard lines, NOTHING wrong. Two days later, oh yeah, on teh way to the shop to see if we could figure this shit out, and wobble like a motherfucker, damn wheel bearing...new front hubs(you ever try to find new front hubs for a 96, fuck me runnin it's hard, shit damn near does not exist) Car was beautiful for about two weeks, then SHTF, shifter broke, starter went out, and even though timing is on, I think Distributor has finally lost it's inner capacitor.

It's the hubs becuase brakes don't make deep noises
Thanks for the info.... I'm now 100% sure it's the wheel bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
240sxconversions dot com
Wow, that's cheap... How are these holding up?
Old 01-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #22459
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Ok, so, is 2 version for that piece with type X tail lights ( metal round shape) ?

Because i bought the oem one ( FR sport) with whole kit, and fit like the wrong photo.

Im afraid to bought a new one and fit the same way.

thanks in advance
Email frsport and ask what the deal is. The kit on their website has the trim with the obvious bulge. https://frsport.com/frsport-1300-jdm...s-nissan-rps13
Old 01-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #22460
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I cant say how the hubs are. All 4 corners will eventually have new hubs but I wont know how well it handles until spring. Hopefully it's not shit

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #22461
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
What about ABS hubs? and by the way, I was inspecting my car today and noticed my s14 had "abs rings" on the wheel hubs... but the car doesn't have abs.
Whomever did the 5lug conversion on your car probably got them from an ABS equipped SE model. If your car truely doesn't have ABS, then any S14 hub will work.(ABS or non)

Quote:
Wow, that's cheap... How are these holding up?
I puchased mine from there due to the price & reviews, but can't speak on longevity since I've only had them installed for like 3weeks.

[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #22462
xptnike
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (11)
xptnike is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quick question, was looking into buying these recaro sports but didnt know if they were real or not. Anyone know?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
xptnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:46 PM   #22463
caspa
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
Whomever did the 5lug conversion on your car probably got them from an ABS equipped SE model. If your car truely doesn't have ABS, then any S14 hub will work.(ABS or non)

I puchased mine from there due to the price & reviews, but can't speak on longevity since I've only had them installed for like 3weeks.

Oh cool thanks man! I just ordered a pair after reading all the reviews on them.

EDIT: Any fan clutch and motor mounts recommendation for the s14?
Old 01-08-2019, 06:15 PM   #22464
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Anyone have feedback on clutch pedal feel with a 7/8 master and nismo slave (or 3/4). I have a .7 master and was curious how much harder of a feel a 7/8 is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #22465
z31andrew
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
z31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have Silvia triple projector headlights on my car, I lost the small metal clip for the Low beam bulb and now I have the opportunity to buy the metal clip from the fog light, but don't know if they are the same clip. Does anyone know off hand if they are the same clip or different? I know the fog light bulb is an H3 and the Low beam is H3C, but not sure if they are the same or not.
z31andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:13 AM   #22466
mau5trap
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
mau5trap is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mau5trap
I currently have a 1/2" torque wrench that cover 40-250lbs. I'm looking for a 3/8" torque wrench that covers the lighter stuff (10-80?), any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:20 AM   #22467
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mau5trap View Post
I currently have a 1/2" torque wrench that cover 40-250lbs. I'm looking for a 3/8" torque wrench that covers the lighter stuff (10-80?), any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
I use a gear wrench 3/8 electronic wrench at my work, I really like it. It's easy to program and accurate (been at the shop for ~ 3 years).

Other recommendation would be a CDI wrench.

mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:26 AM   #22468
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nismo. View Post
I use a gear wrench 3/8 electronic wrench at my work, I really like it. It's easy to program and accurate (been at the shop for ~ 3 years).

Other recommendation would be a CDI wrench.

I have a nice little 1/4" inch pound wrench I use for firearms. Works great for smaller stuff in 240's. What it doesn't cover, the 1/2" does. It'll do 70"# easily. and it goes up to 150" or 12'# In a 240, the next higher amount is 30'# so the 1/2" '# wrench is golden.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:36 PM   #22469
Suzann T. Lyons

Suzann T. Lyons is an unknown quantity at this point
Indeed I read the sidebar and wiki and the principles. Truly I realize you folks suggest having an expert take the necessary steps for car stuff, yet the vehicle I'm taking a shot at isn't a road vehicle it is a rough terrain fix.

I googled around and the one that looks the most satisfying to me is Flux Core Welding. From what I've been perusing its essentially MIG welding however without gas and utilizing a Flux Core.

I was likewise thinking about whether you could suggest a basic welder
Suzann T. Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:11 AM   #22470
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzann T. Lyons View Post
Indeed I read the sidebar and wiki and the principles. Truly I realize you folks suggest having an expert take the necessary steps for car stuff, yet the vehicle I'm taking a shot at isn't a road vehicle it is a rough terrain fix.

I googled around and the one that looks the most satisfying to me is Flux Core Welding. From what I've been perusing its essentially MIG welding however without gas and utilizing a Flux Core.

I was likewise thinking about whether you could suggest a basic welder
A 'basic' welder runs about $300 or so from Lowe's or Harbor Freight. This will get you a stick welder or a very basic wire feed welder or a plasma cutter. If you are going to weld stainless, you need tanks oxy acetylene with argon, and the rest of the kit.
Wire feed will do seam welding and pretty much any basic stuff on the car(seam welding parts or body core, attaching brackets, etc). TIG, for exhaust and intake piping that is stainless or cool lightweight metal.

You want the standard pro level worker stuff, get ready to spend around $1,000 but at a welding and gas shop, you will get everything you need along with all the right pro gear. I try to tell anyone who welds, in a car, you will be welding under your work, so get a leather protector that covers arms, chest and neck. I dated an asian coworker when we worked together in San Francisco on high rise stuff welding, she hated her leathers in the summer...til that one single slag went down her chest onto her boob. She was a convert after that that no matter how hot, that pro gear was ON. She had the cutest scar that ran from just under her neck, dotted down her chest and ended with a nice round circle right on the edge of her cleavage. As I remember, she looked pretty damn hot all black hair holding that welder handle...