Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #31
Bubba
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Bubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^ Awesome avatar ^ LoL
Old 02-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #32
AdrenalineS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
AdrenalineS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfreak27 View Post
Okay so time for a little update. Got the turbo mocked up. Everything fit together quite well and looks great. I'm still waiting for my wastegate to arrive, i have a little over 4" to the strut tower. The new Tial vmr wastegate is a little smaller than their previous version so hopefully everything fits! Next step is to install the wastegate and weld up a new 3" intake and dump tube at my shop.

HOT DAMN! can wait for numbers, this is a nice little setup though
AdrenalineS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #33
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Who did you buy this from?
Old 02-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #34
boostfreak27

Trader Rating: (0)
boostfreak27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I bought the turbo from atp. It's about 1600 plus shipping. Shipping was around 40 for me. Plus 400 for the external gate. Might need some other miscellaneous stuff depending on your current set up.
boostfreak27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #35
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

I'm on a 2871 external set up. Only thing I would need to change is the piping I think.

Is it really good for nearly 40psi? What's the power output supposed to be do you know?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #36
boostfreak27

Okay, so i got my wastegate today, took it to my shop and went to bolt it up. Regretfully it did not fit. The top of the gate hit the strut tower and still needed a good 1/2 inch to clear, not to mention the banjo bolt for the top vent. So i decided to fab up my own elbow. After a few hours of cutting and welding i had it all where i thought it would work best. Pretty bummed that everything didnt bolt up to the housing, but still happy with the end result.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 AM   #37
boostfreak27

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post
I'm on a 2871 external set up. Only thing I would need to change is the piping I think.

Is it really good for nearly 40psi? What's the power output supposed to be do you know?
The Compressor map shows 40+ lbs/min of air flow. Not real sure of the power out put of the turbo, but hopefully we will all see real soon.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #38
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
You should've known that it wasn't going to fit in-between the motor/strut tower, however I do like your final placement. How close is it to the BMC/booster? When are you going to get tuned?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #39
inis

inis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

The gtx2867r will bolt in place of your current chra, you can keep the same exhaust housing/downpipe etc. The new compressor housing should be identically placed as the 71r's so your intercooler piping should bolt on in the same position. Additionally the turbo's inlet is the same 3" opening size. Unless you've opted for different housings you should be able to just swap the chra and compressor housing and go.

Compressor map shows this turbo is good for peak of 2.7 bar (39psi) but will bleed back down to 2.5bar (36psi) towards the top of the map. Depending how well your engine flows , you should be able to get a safe 30-35psi out of this turbo without overspinning it.

Additionally you can get this turbo for 1283.49 shipped from top speed. http://www.topspeedparts.com/Garrett...ger-gtx28.html
inis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #40
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Do they make a 5 bolt turbine housing without the external flange and just a blocked off internal?

I want this turbo so bad lol
Old 02-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #41
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Do they make a 5 bolt turbine housing without the external flange and just a blocked off internal?

I want this turbo so bad lol
Isn't that how your 2871 is set up? If it's true that one could just switch turbine housings, you could just get the turbo with no turbine housing and swap yours on.

Garrett GTX2867R Dual Ball Bearing Turbo - less turbine housing : atpturbo.com
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #42
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

My 2871 internal is welded shut.

I don't want to switch housings I want to straight up sell the 2871 and get the gtx lol
Old 02-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #43
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
this is awesome.. im excited to see what kind of numbers your putting down..

i wonder if that exhaust housing is efficient or would be better flow with a wastegate on the manifold..

and i would like this a whole lot more if you had a tomei or full race style manifold
Black240Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #44
boostfreak27

Yeah i wish i had either of those. But i decided to focus my money on other things. I figure since im a welder i can prob weld the stainless if it cracks any way.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #45
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by inis View Post
The gtx2867r will bolt in place of your current chra, you can keep the same exhaust housing/downpipe etc. The new compressor housing should be identically placed as the 71r's so your intercooler piping should bolt on in the same position. Additionally the turbo's inlet is the same 3" opening size. Unless you've opted for different housings you should be able to just swap the chra and compressor housing and go.

Compressor map shows this turbo is good for peak of 2.7 bar (39psi) but will bleed back down to 2.5bar (36psi) towards the top of the map. Depending how well your engine flows , you should be able to get a safe 30-35psi out of this turbo without overspinning it.

Additionally you can get this turbo for 1283.49 shipped from top speed. Garrett GTX2867 Billet Wheel Turbocharger - New GTX Series Turbo Avaliable Now

Where the heck did you pull this outta your ass from? The GTX2876 will NOT bolt into a GT2871R.... The housings are not interchangeable cause the compressor wheel is different. Already checked with someone from Garrett....
Old 02-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #46
Leetfade
Zilvia Member

Leetfade is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't wait to see some actual numbers!

We have a group buy going on these on another site (will be adding it here as soon as they get back to us) as we are also very excited about this turbo. Better spool than the 2871r with the similar power output potential.
Leetfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #47
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Interesting placement with the external gate on the pre flanged ATP housing, at least we all know now definitivly that it will not fit without some well placed fabrication. I'm curious as to how to how close it is the steering shaft.

Personally, I'm still a fan of how we have JPC put them atop the manifold (which we'll be doing a different setup with the 2 bolt flanged turbos soon) as the MVS is no where near the BMC that way, and out of the way of everything.

COol stuff though. When are your planned power pulls? My entire turbo setup is off my car, and dare I say, awaiting your results to see which way I go.

However if you're far out, I'll probably just follow through my gut and get one too...I'm hoping to have it back on the dyno by mid march if I do go through with it

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #48
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Where the heck did you pull this outta your ass from? The GTX2876 will NOT bolt into a GT2871R.... The housings are not interchangeable cause the compressor wheel is different. Already checked with someone from Garrett....
Of course the compressor hsg is different, it's a different wheel and trim. But the turbine housing and wheel IS the exact same between the turbos. Hence why the GTX2867R is sold without a turbine hsg.

Get your facts straight before acting like an arse...
Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #49
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Of course the compressor hsg is different, it's a different wheel and trim. But the turbine housing and wheel IS the exact same between the turbos. Hence why the GTX2867R is sold without a turbine hsg.

Get your facts straight before acting like an arse...
I did misread his post, my bad... he was just talking about the exhaust housing, but doesn't the exhaust housing have a twin scroll option vs your standard gt2871R standard housing?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #50
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

So this turbo doesn't come with the turbine housing and you have to buy it separate?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #51
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
So this turbo doesn't come with the turbine housing and you have to buy it separate?
Apparently not for 1200 bux....
Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #52
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
You can purchase it with and without the turbine housing. Your old 2871R housing will work with it....
Old 02-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #53
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

But then who am I going to sell a 2872 with no turbine housing to? Lol

I have to get this turbo now. I just need it. I gotta look for turbine housings with just the internal blocked off and not a waste gate connection.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #54
speedracer1610
Leaky Injector

speedracer1610 is an unknown quantity at this point
Where are you llocated in CA? What shop is doing the install?
speedracer1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #55
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
But then who am I going to sell a 2872 with no turbine housing to? Lol

I have to get this turbo now. I just need it. I gotta look for turbine housings with just the internal blocked off and not a waste gate connection.
I actually have a 2871R .86 AR housing.... It has a hairline crack on where the wastegate is... kinda weird and I can take a pic if you interested in using it.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #56
Nismo_sam
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Nismo_sam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Can't wait to see what kinda power this new gtx turbo puts down!
Nismo_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #57
Leetfade
Zilvia Member

Leetfade is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You do need to buy a housing separate. You can also use the TiAl T25/T28 v-band housing with this.

If you're primarily spool focused I'd go with the .64 A/R and .86 A/R if you want more top-end.
Leetfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #58
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
I actually have a 2871R .86 AR housing.... It has a hairline crack on where the wastegate is... kinda weird and I can take a pic if you interested in using it.
I said I don't need one with a waste hate attachment. Lol. I already have a external set up.

I would love to go v band turbine but I would have to get a new downpipe and I fancy my PBM Flex Cobra.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #59
boostfreak27

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Interesting placement with the external gate on the pre flanged ATP housing, at least we all know now definitivly that it will not fit without some well placed fabrication. I'm curious as to how to how close it is the steering shaft.

Personally, I'm still a fan of how we have JPC put them atop the manifold (which we'll be doing a different setup with the 2 bolt flanged turbos soon) as the MVS is no where near the BMC that way, and out of the way of everything.

COol stuff though. When are your planned power pulls? My entire turbo setup is off my car, and dare I say, awaiting your results to see which way I go.

However if you're far out, I'll probably just follow through my gut and get one too...I'm hoping to have it back on the dyno by mid march if I do go through with it
If everything goes as planned I am hoping to have it on a dyno by the end of next week. Also, are you speaking of the stock cast manifold that they are attaching the wastegate to? If so do you know the process they are using to attach? I just welded one up for an rb motor, and used a stainless tube on the top of the mani. It was my first time working with cast but it seemed to work well. I do know that cast isnt the easiest to attach a disssimilar metal to, and if not done with the right material can can lead to cracks. I used 99ni rod to weld it up. Just looking for more info on working with these materials, thanks.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #60
boostfreak27

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer1610 View Post
Where are you llocated in CA? What shop is doing the install?
Im in Chino ca. But my car is at our welding shop in Orange. Ive been doing all my own work so far. Its been a fun project. If any one ever needs anything hit me up.