Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #31
NeedCAforS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
NeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura aboutNeedCAforS13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NeedCAforS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
no, thats the a-pillar trim.

i know, i've torn apart this car inside and out, numerous times.
You're right Mike. It's pulling the trim off my buddy's car.

If I ran a rack I wouldn't leave it on all the time. Short trips, low speed, carrying shit, I think would be OK. But full time like he leaves it on there, it is leaving permanent dimples where it clips onto the flimsy/thin trim.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:44 AM   #32
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
nathanong87 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
I always liked the way a roof rack looks for some reason, but they won't work if you have wind visors, just a note. You could just buy a universal one and drill it in though.
u can also modify your visors just a tad and they will work with the Qclips on the yakima rack.
nathanong87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #33
jjwilks240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
jjwilks240 is making a name for him/her selfjjwilks240 is making a name for him/her selfjjwilks240 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i custom bent my mounts. Thule and yakima say they dont make fit kits and thats cause they dont trust the metal piece on the side. I bent some brackets to custom fit. Put about 200 pounds in the box and 2 snowboards on my rack. I then drove 3,500km across the country with no problems. have had it on since.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #34
Devil Man
Zilvia Junkie

Devil Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoiken3 View Post
what class hitch is that?? and with how many holes does it bolt up to under the car?

its a class 1 hitch. you cant really have any tonge wieght on it of course i want to say 200lbs. but it can tow a fair amount. my friend which is the only other person that i know that has a hitch like me towed his gsx600 plus alot of other bullshit across from cali to florida twice now and has had no problems what so ever. but let it be known i modifyed my hitch, normaly if you get this hitch its a flat bar style meaning it just has the plate with a hole in it to just drop a ball it in. well i cut that off and bought the square hitch tube from a trailer shop welded it on. i did this so i can use a bike rack that goes into a hitch.

the hitch is made by curt and can be found on alot of places. i think jegs even has them.
Devil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #35
Vatche
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (289)
Vatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 289 reviews

The Ultimate For Sale Thread <> Review Thread
Vatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #36
dOMEmE
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
dOMEmE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20detman View Post

LEGIT!!!

looks good.

so thats how my bike would look too huh.....

once again LEGIT!
dOMEmE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:21 AM   #37
MrFuel
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
MrFuel is a name known to allMrFuel is a name known to allMrFuel is a name known to allMrFuel is a name known to allMrFuel is a name known to allMrFuel is a name known to allMrFuel is a name known to allMrFuel is a name known to allMrFuel is a name known to allMrFuel is a name known to allMrFuel is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrFuel
Damn! I need one for my Bike.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:52 AM   #38
NSR250
Leaky Injector

NSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to all
+1 on the hitch. My hitch is made by Dalan. I tow my bike all the time with my S14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Man View Post
its a class 1 hitch. you cant really have any tonge wieght on it of course i want to say 200lbs. but it can tow a fair amount. my friend which is the only other person that i know that has a hitch like me towed his gsx600 plus alot of other bullshit across from cali to florida twice now and has had no problems what so ever. but let it be known i modifyed my hitch, normaly if you get this hitch its a flat bar style meaning it just has the plate with a hole in it to just drop a ball it in. well i cut that off and bought the square hitch tube from a trailer shop welded it on. i did this so i can use a bike rack that goes into a hitch.

the hitch is made by curt and can be found on alot of places. i think jegs even has them.
NSR250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:23 AM   #39
Beer4Me

Beer4Me is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone get a noticeable loss of MPG with the addition of a roof rack or hitch? I currently own an IS300 (saving up for S13), and as soon as I threw the roof rack on- my MPG went down about 5-7mpg with two DH bikes. Each of my bikes weigh 40-50lbs each.

My plan was to run a hitch on the S13- but it looks like very few have done it, so info is limited. Most class 1 hitches have a tongue weight of 200lbs with a 1 1/4'' receiver for cars. Figuring two DH bikes will weigh around 70-115 lbs both plus the weight of the bike rack- it would already be near the maximum limit for the tongue weight. Put that together with a car that has stiff suspension, the bikes would be bouncing around stressing the hitch quite a bit. But from seeing the photos of a 240 towing a street bike on a trailer, I guess DH mountain bikes wouldn't be too bad.

BTW NSR250, That's a sick bike!
Beer4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #40
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
1. why save up for an S13 when you already have something better? like an IS300.. people with s13's save up for IS not other way around

2. you should not be driving with your bikes mounted all the time anyways, i know its safe but its just plain dumb to put a bike on your car but never ride it. If you want it with you at all times then just remove the front wheel and place the whole bike in the car.

3. I have seen a hitch on an IS300 before... again why bother getting an s13 to do this?
Old 05-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #41
Beer4Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
1. why save up for an S13 when you already have something better? like an IS300.. people with s13's save up for IS not other way around

2. you should not be driving with your bikes mounted all the time anyways, i know its safe but its just plain dumb to put a bike on your car but never ride it. If you want it with you at all times then just remove the front wheel and place the whole bike in the car.

3. I have seen a hitch on an IS300 before... again why bother getting an s13 to do this?
haha if only the IS300 wasn't automatic. I'm still keeping the IS but my sister will be driving it.

I don't drive with my bikes mounted all the time- it was just a curiosity.

Main reason for an S13 is that I want something more agressive- and something I don't have to worry about having to dip in the bank for to fix. The Lex is going to cost more to repair in almost every aspect. Hell the belts, water pump, seals and so on need to be replaced soon! and that's not cheap. The reason I wanted a Hitch on the S13 is because a 50lbs bike on the roof swaying around isn't fun from my experience with it on the IS300. But it's not super high priority. Just wanted to see how many other have done this.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #42
Ceepo
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
Ceepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer4Me View Post
haha if only the IS300 wasn't automatic. I'm still keeping the IS but my sister will be driving it.

I don't drive with my bikes mounted all the time- it was just a curiosity.

Main reason for an S13 is that I want something more agressive- and something I don't have to worry about having to dip in the bank for to fix. The Lex is going to cost more to repair in almost every aspect. Hell the belts, water pump, seals and so on need to be replaced soon! and that's not cheap. The reason I wanted a Hitch on the S13 is because a 50lbs bike on the roof swaying around isn't fun from my experience with it on the IS300. But it's not super high priority. Just wanted to see how many other have done this.
Replacing all that stuff wouldnt cost that much if you did it yourself... just a thought...

Back on topic, i have been searching for a s14 oem/ manufacture spec roof rack and i found one but the guy wanted way to much for it 7-800$$$ way to much imo
Ceepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #43
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
nathanong87 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer4Me View Post
Anyone get a noticeable loss of MPG with the addition of a roof rack or hitch? I currently own an IS300 (saving up for S13), and as soon as I threw the roof rack on- my MPG went down about 5-7mpg with two DH bikes. Each of my bikes weigh 40-50lbs each.
i have two steelhead mounts and a snowboard rack for my integra and when i installed the bike rack, fairing and said components above, my MPG dropped 5mpg instantly. the bikes dont make it better, but they dont make it much worse than a 5mpg loss.
nathanong87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #44
Jdm.I.Am
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
Jdm.I.Am is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jdm.I.Am
ordered mine, had to get it in different parts since they dont make a full kit for 240sx anymore? but im stoked.. going to make a rack so i can put my tires on top of my car for track days =P

Jdm.I.Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:14 AM   #45
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
s13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i luve 240s with racks.
89 240sx hatch #933-the hot rod
91 240sx coupe #131,603-the daily
s13dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:23 AM   #46
Beer4Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceepo View Post
Replacing all that stuff wouldnt cost that much if you did it yourself... just a thought...

Back on topic, i have been searching for a s14 oem/ manufacture spec roof rack and i found one but the guy wanted way to much for it 7-800$$$ way to much imo
I don't have the automotive "know how" to fix it alone. I have found a shop that will do it for less though.

Is it 7-800 for just the roof rack without bike trays? because a yakima system with just the rack and no bike trays is 299. But with 7-800 dollars you can get a yakima system including the SKS locks and bike trays. I'm sure you could find better deals elsewhere though. Luckily I already have one from my IS300 so all I need are new clips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanong87 View Post
i have two steelhead mounts and a snowboard rack for my integra and when i installed the bike rack, fairing and said components above, my MPG dropped 5mpg instantly. the bikes dont make it better, but they dont make it much worse than a 5mpg loss.
glad I'm not the only one that noticed the loss. But either way- with the integra, your still getting better MPG than everyone else. haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13dan View Post
i luve 240s with racks.
holy sh*T! do you have anymore photos of that? I can't believe it's even possible.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #47
cvc9216
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
cvc9216 will become famous soon enoughcvc9216 will become famous soon enoughcvc9216 will become famous soon enoughcvc9216 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
The only thing I don't like about the yakima rack is how close together the bars are. Do they have a short roof adapter like thule? When I have bikes on my rack they are a little wobbly but I'd imagine it would be alot worse with the bars a foot closer. And hitch racks are a pain in the ass. You have to have like a dozen straps all over the place or the wheels and pedals bang around into your bumper and trunk Plus the bikes get scratched up.

oh yeah as for price:
load bars $65
rack feet $145
short roof adapter $120
fairing $75
2x bike racks $235
8 lock cores $70
fit kit $75

=$785
cvc9216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #48
soldiaboy
Zilvia Member

soldiaboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc9216 View Post
The only thing I don't like about the yakima rack is how close together the bars are. Do they have a short roof adapter like thule? When I have bikes on my rack they are a little wobbly but I'd imagine it would be alot worse with the bars a foot closer. And hitch racks are a pain in the ass. You have to have like a dozen straps all over the place or the wheels and pedals bang around into your bumper and trunk Plus the bikes get scratched up.

oh yeah as for price:
load bars $65
rack feet $145
short roof adapter $120
fairing $75
2x bike racks $235
8 lock cores $70
fit kit $75

=$785
holy shit that is badass, where did you get the parts from?
soldiaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #49
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc9216 View Post

oh yeah as for price:
load bars $65
rack feet $145
short roof adapter $120
fairing $75
2x bike racks $235
8 lock cores $70
fit kit $75

=$785
BMW 7series wheels?

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #50
Vatche
Post Whore!

Vatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfection
yes they are, he has posted his car before in another thread.

they do make an extension for the yakima cross bars. i didnt need it. so i dont know much about it.

its amazing people have spent 800 for there roof racks and i felt like i spent too much at 175. hehehe....you can find great deals on craigslist and ebay.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #51
soldiaboy
Zilvia Member

soldiaboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20detman View Post
yes they are, he has posted his car before in another thread.

they do make an extension for the yakima cross bars. i didnt need it. so i dont know much about it.

its amazing people have spent 800 for there roof racks and i felt like i spent too much at 175. hehehe....you can find great deals on craigslist and ebay.
i got a question i saw the info on your setup but will this work for a s14?
the 48" crossbar and the q38 clips?

i tried yamika.com to fit my car but it doesnt work at work.
soldiaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #52
Quail
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Quail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Quail
There was an OEM roof rack for sale cheap on my owners club but I didn't buy it because of my wind visors. Wish I had
Old 05-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #53
landins13
Zilvia Addict

landins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMAGE976 View Post
240's were'nt made/designed to have roof racks.....just my $.02

if you look in the 180sx factory parts catalog there is a roof rack

thats directly from nissan
Old 06-10-2009, 01:55 AM   #54
Vatche
Post Whore!

i like the bbs mesh type wheels in the pic above

i also love the 7 series wheels on the s14.

and i love this thread

ive got like 10 pms about roof racks , and im doing my best to help you guys out. but i dont really know all the much about hatch's and s14's which you all have ;P
Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #55
dbaggett

dbaggett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to dbaggett Send a message via AIM to dbaggett
my old roof rack i miss it so much its a pain getting my bmx bike in and out of my car
dbaggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #56
HyperTek
Post Whore!

HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
thats sick i wanna lug my bike around in my 7.. go to parks or beaches etc and ride my bike around lol. they make a kit for my car.. ill just do what sr20detman did and piece mine together over time.

an s13 from 2002 had em at a summer bbq meet.. thought it was pretty cool

Old 06-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #57
NSR250
Leaky Injector

NSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to allNSR250 is a name known to all
what clips do use for the yakima rack on your s14?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaggett View Post
my old roof rack i miss it so much its a pain getting my bmx bike in and out of my car
NSR250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:42 AM   #58
leonb2004
Leaky Injector

leonb2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Roof rack are cool if theyre used... if theyre just slapped on because theyre a new honda trend and look tyyte, then GTFO.

Yokota's S13 was always my favorite.
leonb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #59
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
I like it too. Pretty clean look if you ask me

Last edited by Okinawandrifter87; 05-08-2010 at 11:46 PM..
Okinawandrifter87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #60
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
BMW 7series wheels?

Yessir! yes they are off a 745