Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Deezal is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR20VET - Saker GT build - Road race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYf4M00U8a8

Hey everybody, thought there may be one or two who could take an interest in this so here goes.

I've previously owned an R33 GTST, 03 350Z track & SR20DET S13 track car

The car is a Saker GT (spaceframe kit car), in most cases they run a EJ20 but I'm more familiar with the SR platform so that is what we've opted to go with.

Specs wise the car should work out similar to the likes of a daytona prototype. Approx 950kg (2100lbs) fully laden with me in it and gas. Aiming for approx 600hp.

The car is setup with EVO 6 brembo brakes right around, I've just had a set of 2nd hand penske 8000 series shocks arrive for it. Also just ordered a rebuilt audi 01E transaxle for it and the plan is to order the remainder of the rotating assembly, studs and dry sump kit from mazworx in another month or so.

For more regular updates follow Vesuvius Racing on Facebook.

Now for some photos:

Here it is on the day we picked it up with the subaru drivetrain just sitting in place.

The vents on the guards had essentially just been stuck on so one of the first jobs was trying to flare them into the body work.

The rear cowling also didn't fit that well so we had to re-glass it and extend it. I have a sponsor who is going to tidy up the body and paint side of things so at this stage we're just trying to make everything fit "loosely".

We also extended the front splitter by 120mm and glassed in 20mm foam sandwhich for the under tray to give it some strength.

One of the next jobs was throwing the SR in to see how it was going to fit, to run a baffled sump wasn't going to work without seriously modifying the chassis and going to a dry sump will also enable us to lower the engine to get a better C.O.G. and give us more room for the cross braces coming down from the top of the fire wall.

Then we set to making up the diffuser and wing mounts, the idea was to try and make it somewhat resemble the Group C cars that it is loosely based on by making it more of a "long tail" deisgn.

Made up a bracket to mount the digital dash off the bosskit

Currently this is basically how it sits, rear bodywork still needs mounts made up to attach it properly.

Suspension is now bolted in but the mounting points still need some work.

Got the head shimmed the other night, all within spec now to suit the VZR cams.

Started mounting the seat, hopefully have that finished this week, nothing is "off the shelf".

Also made some mounting brackets to attach the rear bodywork and welded (and painted) pipes onto the chassis to give us some jacking points as the car is too low.

This is how it sits currently.

Audi 01E transaxle should be in my possession next week and I should see my order from Mazworx in a month or so all going well.

Last edited by Deezal; 10-02-2017 at 02:30 PM..
Deezal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #2
franklin93zx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
franklin93zx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Well this is officialy the coolest build on Zilvia
franklin93zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:38 PM   #3
christforeman
Zilvia Member

christforeman has a little shameless behavior in the past
Fucking hell, this is great
christforeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:47 PM   #4
Aesthetics45
Leaky Injector

Aesthetics45 is an unknown quantity at this point
WAT...

This is awesome!
Aesthetics45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Cheers guys.

Plan for the drivetrain is, some of this will probably change yet.

Trans/Clutch/Axles:
DSS custom axles 01E to STI
Custom chromoly flywheel
twin plate 7 1/4" clutch
Audi 01E transaxle with custom ratio's, Wavetrac Diff and cryo treated main shaft.
Unsure right now whether we will modify the bell housing or make a custom adapter plate to suit the VE.

Head:
P11 SR20VE
New seats and stems
SR16VE cams
P12 Cas
P12 Rocker cover
Adjustable cam gears
Mazworx Inlet manifold
Q45 TB
Cosworth Head gasket

Block:
86.5mm CP SR20VE pistons 9:1 - Upgraded 9310 wrist pins
Manley turbo Tuff rods
Mazworx head studs
Mazworx Main studs
FWD alternator
Mazworx alternator relocation bracket
Mazworx timing pointer
ATI super damper
New VE oil pump
Calico coated ACL race bearings

Hot side:
3.5" exhaust
Custom exhaust manifold
50mm GFB wastegate
Custom spec Holset Turbo

Misc:
2000CC injectors
Mazworx dry sump kit
Twin side mount intercoolers
Turbo smart FPR
Turbo smart race BOV
Twin fuel pumps
Carter lift pump
2L breather tank
Surge tank
Custom fuel cell

When it gets its first rebuild it will end up with CA625+ rod bolts, Kelford springs and retainers, Supertech valves, new bearings etc. For the first season or two it won't be getting maxed out untill I get familiar with the car and we work out the setup.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:24 PM   #6
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
This seems fitting

https://youtu.be/ncHQXXCMImw
Old 06-19-2016, 12:08 AM   #7
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhregartless View Post
This seems fitting

https://youtu.be/ncHQXXCMImw
Thanks, that just made my day.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
Quail
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Quail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Quail
Damn, this is completely awesome.

This looks to be one of the quickest ways to a road-legal Group C car.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:56 PM   #9
Deezal
Leaky Injector

They're road legal both here(NZ) and in some of Europe, I intend to use it purely as a circuit racing car. They were first designed and built in 1989 hence the resemblance to the Group C era.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:01 AM   #10
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Well damn...:
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #11
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Old 06-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #12
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
And thought driving a Z33 on track would be fun
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:39 PM   #13
Deezal
Leaky Injector

The moderators must be on holiday or something as some of my replies aren't getting through, hopefully this one does.

A minor update as It's been fairly hectic studying for my final trade exam and sorting out other stuff.

After 2 1/2 months I've finally got my paperwork for the roll cage homologation so she's all set to go.

Valve shims are setup to suit the VZR cams

Ground all the urethane off the chassis from the previous owners engine mounts he'd installed, was a bloody messy task.

Seat is also in and bolted up, anybody over 6ft tall would probably need a gurney buble to fit. Still needs to come back out and get modified slightly, aswell as get a coat of paint, not far away as it sits.

Best news of all is the transaxle showed up today so now for the fun task of trying to marry the two together.

Gear ratios should work out to about this depending on what tyre size it ends up with. Shouldn't be far off the limiter in 5th at my local track once it gets 2bar of boost.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:34 AM   #14
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
this looks like an awesome project if only you were allowed to drive it legally on the streets
STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:04 AM   #15
Deezal
Leaky Injector

About time for another update, been studying for my final trade exam so haven't got a lot done.

They are road legal here in NZ and in some of Europe, but my M5 is enough of a handful on a wet road without trying to drive this thing. Figured it's better off being kept as being a dedicated track car so then you aren't compromising on anything.

Head is shimmed and ready to go

Got the chassis rails cleaned up and removed the urethane from the previous owners motor mounts.

Seat is now roughly in place, haven't worked out what we're going to do for harness mounting points as of yet.

Paperwork for the roll cage Homolgation has finally showed up also

Trans arrived yesterday courtesy of Advanced Automotion, hopefully it'll do the job, seems to be plenty of GT40's running them now.

The gear ratio's should equate to the speeds you see below assuming I go with these tyres. It should be almost on the limiter in 5th with that gearing on my local track.

Got the alloy sitting at home now to make a start on the adapter plate, already started making a template.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #16
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Thanks guys, my replies haven't been getting passed the mod's so I've just gone and bought a premium membership instead now.

These cars are road legal in both NZ and in Europe but I preferred to keep this as a dedicated track car so there's no compromise as to what I can and can't do to it and still keep it road worthy.

I've been studying for my final trade exam which I sat last weekend so haven't got a lot done.

Got the chassis rails cleaned up and removed the urethane from the previous owners motor mounts.

Seat is now roughly in place, haven't worked out what we're going to do for harness mounting points as of yet.

Trans arrived on Tuesday courtesy of Advanced Automotion.

The gear ratio's should equate to the speeds you see below assuming I go with these tyres. It should be almost on the limiter in 5th with that gearing on my local track.

Made a start on the adapter plate over the last day or two, that's about all I'm doing with it, got a local engineering shop lined up to finish it off.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #17
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Cheers guys, I've been trying to post another update for the last week but it isn't getting passed the moderators at this stage.

Trans has arrived, put it on the scales and it's 60kg dry. Not bad when you consider the weight of a Z33 box and an R200 diff combied.

These cars are road legal in NZ and in some of Europe, I'm keeping mine as a dedicated track car so there is no compromises as to what I can and can't do to it.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:22 PM   #18
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I'm busting major nut over here... Loving the idea and build so far.

What's the rough cost of one of those kits? I imagine the frame is already done, and you just put the body/drivetrain/susension/interior in? Their US based site is a little light on details.

This is something I'd definitely sell my S13 for as a balls out track car.

And good move ditching the EJ20!
Old 06-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #19
Deezal
Leaky Injector

I paid approx $15,000 USD for the car as I bought it in the first post, had been through a few owners, mostly elderly gentleman who had grand visions of what they would like to do with it but never completed it.

As far as what one costs out of the factory I'm not too sure, I've seen some pretty big numbers thrown around for complete ones. As you can appreciate there's a lot of man hours involved in something like this.

I had originally looked into using the newer style 6 speed STI gearbox behind the SR but the R180 diff and the idea of running a lockout spool to convert it to fwd was giving me nightmares. Once I found the site I got the 01E off I was sold, standard ratios were too tall for my application but what I've purchased worked out a treat plus it has a 10" cw&p so the diff shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:04 PM   #20
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Hopefully it'll post this time....

Trans arrived last week courtesy of Advanced Automotion in Texas

Made a start on the adapter plate over the weekend

Old 07-02-2016, 11:29 PM   #21
Deezal
Leaky Injector

My posts with pictures still aren't getting passed the mods, how many posts do you have to make before you can post freely?

Anyway, it'll just have to be a picture free update:

This weekend I've basically got the adapter plate finished, just have to drop it off this week to get it cut out on the band saw and countersink a few more holes. (Jig saw cutting 12mm alloy is a bit tough for it)

I've got the center cut out so the flex plate fits, got the adapter plate recessed so that the starter motor will fit in the standard location. Trans and motor are all bolted together in one piece and doweled nicely, need to modify the bell housing on the trans slightly for the starter when it pops out.

Drivers seat is also roughly bolted in place, chassis rails have been cleaned back and the urethane removed so we can start working on motor mounts in the next week or so.

My order was also picked up from Mazworx the other day so I should see it in a few weeks and start getting the motor assembled.

You can see the photo's here: http://forums.nicoclub.com/sr20vet-s...d-t608950.html

Last edited by Deezal; 07-03-2016 at 03:02 AM..
Old 07-03-2016, 01:51 AM   #22
WPN-X7
Leaky Injector

WPN-X7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezal View Post
My posts with pictures still aren't getting passed the mods, how many posts do you have to make before you can post freely?
10 i believe (not that youll ever see this as it seems their slightly slack on actually approving fresh posts &#128517

This things pretty rad, theres one of these thst gets out at mallala here in SA with some NA subie motor for a track toy. cool seeing a decent build thread for one.
WPN-X7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:13 PM   #23
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
That's lame that the posts aren't getting past mods. Maybe just spam some posts?

If you want to PM me the post with the img tags, I'll post it up for you in the meantime.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:56 AM   #24
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Thanks for your offer, I'll take you up on that.

Started setting up the motor and box in the car today and working out what we're going to do for engine & trans mounts. The motor is on a steep angle but being dry sumped it won't be an issue.

Looking at the way the DET top mount exhaust manifold sits we'll more than likely abandon that and make a custom low mount one, for the sake of space and keeping the C.O.G. down. Could have lowered the engine down further but it just looked ridiculous, lowering the trans would mean the axles would be on a rather steep angle, as it is they're on slightly up hill. This is part of the reason they run EJ20's as they have a high crankshaft in relative terms.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #25
Def
Post Whore!

Pics incoming...

Old 07-12-2016, 11:29 PM   #26
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Thanks for that, much appreciated.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:57 PM   #27
Rb26kouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (62)
Rb26kouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 62 reviews
Wow! This is just awesome!
Subscribed...
Rb26kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:02 AM   #28
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Fingers crossed this gets passed the mods.

My order from Mazworx was delayed by a few weeks and only left a couple of days ago but I should have it in 10 days or so.

In the mean time I ordered a few other bits and pieces to keep me busy.

Made up some brackets to mount the intercoolers and oil cooler, still need to make some shrouds to stop the air from bleeding off around the sides and we should have some pipes here this week to start joining things up, can't finish it untill we have the manifolds in place and the turbo.

Also started working out how we'll mount the harness in and what is required to modify the seat, have the chief scrutineer coming around this week to discuss that and getting a custom fuel cell made to fit in behind the drivers seat.

Radiator also showed up so that's also on the to do list to make some mounting brackets for that and then some brake ducting etc.

Also made some inquiries with DSS and cableshift.com in regards to getting the shifter setup and getting some axles to suit the trans and subie hubs.

Last edited by Deezal; 07-24-2016 at 12:57 PM..
Old 07-24-2016, 04:55 AM   #29
jdizzy204
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
jdizzy204 will become famous soon enoughjdizzy204 will become famous soon enoughjdizzy204 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
legendary build in the making!
jdizzy204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #30
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
This is a build thread!

What'd you do to insure that everything was centered when you made the adapter plate?
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote