Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-10-2019, 10:36 PM   #1
Prince of Saiyans

Trader Rating: (2)
Prince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
How to use a HUD with a NX cluster

Ever since I got an NX cluster I wanted to use it with a HUD. Well I finally did. So I made this quick "how to" if anybody else whats to do it.

So first off this is assuming that you've already installed an NX cluster because I'm not going to get into that but I will include a wiring diagram for the swap.

To get the HUD projector to work with an NX cluster you're going to need a HUD cluster as well. You need the HUD control unit from it. Also it's not impossible to do it without having a HUD cluster harness but it will make it a lot easier. You want the black 12 pin connector from it. It's the one the goes to the HUD control unit. Without it, its going to be a much bigger job. You would have to desolder the connector off the HUD control unit and solder the 11 wires right to the board.

Here is the HUD control unit after you take it out of the cluster. The red wire coming out the back will not be used anymore.

And here is the connector you want from the HUD cluster harness.

So once you've got all your parts you can start adding in the control unit connector to the harness. It's really the same thing you did to make the NX/S13 harness. There's 11 total wires that you need. 9 of which you can just splice right into and connect to the new connector. But the other 2 wires you need may not be that easy. Depending on if you are using a HUD harness or if you're using a NON-HUD harness. If you have a HUD harness you can connect the 2 wires right to the HUD control connector. If you have a NON-HUB harness you're going to need to add these 2 wires into the harness. Refer to the pictures below for details on that.

Here's how to wire up the first 9

here's the last 2

Here's a picture of the 2 wires I added in the first time I did this. Its hard to tell but the wire end terminals I used are larger then the others in the connector. I couldn't find an exact match but these ones worked just fine. I wanted to get a picture of them but they are too big to get out now that I pushed them in.

It should look something like this when you're done.

I've done this both ways. The not having a HUD harness, soldering the wire right to the board and having to add in the two missing wires way. And the having the HUD harness way. I would highly recommend getting a HUD harness. But I know it's not that easy to find one.

Also you're obviously going to need to make something to keep the HUD control unit from just bouncing around in your dash. I made a little holder out of cardboard.

Here's the diagram I used to make my NX/S13 cluster harness. I DID NOT MAKE THIS. I did use it as the base to make the other diagram though.

Here's the pages form the FSM I used.
https://imgur.com/LyKkMKL
https://imgur.com/HjYJipR
https://imgur.com/ORni1on
https://imgur.com/TB7fiZO

Here's a HOW TO on making a non HUD dash in to one. I just did it to mine. Only took about an hour and looks great.
https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/how...ud-dash-45091/

Well I hope this helps some people out.

Last edited by Prince of Saiyans; 02-11-2019 at 12:25 PM..
Prince of Saiyans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2019, 11:59 PM   #2
JDM240z
Leaky Injector

JDM240z is an unknown quantity at this point
�� Great work.
JDM240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #3
gripROYAL
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (15)
gripROYAL is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
AWESOME, thank you for posting this. Was going to spend some time later this year on this project and you've just saved me a lot of time and effort. THANK YOU! -Scott
Old 02-11-2019, 07:41 AM   #4
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Wow this is so rad, I have always liked these clusters. Combined with the HUD should look pretty awesome at night!
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
+1 for the write up. Super cool, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #6
zapman2000

Trader Rating: (0)
zapman2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
can you post larger pics or links to larger photos when i open pics and try to zoom in it gets blurry so it seems to have uploaded a lower quality, if this is all there is that's fine to, really appreciate this, have the NX cluster installed and wanted to do this to.

for those that dont have the Windshield with the special reflector you can get a replacement windshield from Safe-lite just tell them you have the HUD or need the one for the HUD system there is no price difference as last i had mine replaced anyways. you can also buy a Heads Up Display film i got mine from DEFI from the VSD system but they also make Universal ones available on amazon, (also order more than 1 Film there really cheap and i went through 3 getting it leveled right so it straight), also its easier to do with out the dash installed.
zapman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #7
Prince of Saiyans

Prince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nicePrince of Saiyans is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapman2000 View Post
can you post larger pics or links to larger photos when i open pics and try to zoom in it gets blurry so it seems to have uploaded a lower quality, if this is all there is that's fine to, really appreciate this, have the NX cluster installed and wanted to do this to.

for those that dont have the Windshield with the special reflector you can get a replacement windshield from Safe-lite just tell them you have the HUD or need the one for the HUD system there is no price difference as last i had mine replaced anyways. you can also buy a Heads Up Display film i got mine from DEFI from the VSD system but they also make Universal ones available on amazon, (also order more than 1 Film there really cheap and i went through 3 getting it leveled right so it straight), also its easier to do with out the dash installed.

I made some of the pics lager. Sorry about that. Also thanks about the info on the reflector. I've hear it's not a must to have but I wanted to look in to it still.