Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #31
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
This thread has some nice info in it. Subscribed.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #32
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
can't most or at least some 1.5 ways be changed to a 2way? i think the nismo can. in that case you can always go to a 2 way if you change your mind. the best way to decide is to drive a car with a 2 way. I prefer the tomei 2 way technical trax. I had one in my old coupe and loved it. But on the other hand i tryed my freinds car with a kazaa 2 way and didn't really like the feel as much.
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #33
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Either a 1.5 or 2 way clutch type cause additional tire wear. The wear could be trimmed or lessened by adjusting the initial torque setting. You will most likely get clunking from any clutch type out there. I have personal experience with Kaaz set to 80% lock and it wasn't pleasant to drive at all on the street. Although, another user on Nissanforums.com said he noticed very little or no clunking when he set his lock to ~60%. Currently, I'm using an OS Giken unit and it is very, very smooth and drivable. I do get an occasional clunk here and there, but it's almost rare that it happens.

Another thing I noticed using the Kaaz 1.5 with treated plates vs. the OS Giken is how quickly the unit locked. Kaaz makes its presence known with a harsh and quick "clunk" whereas the OS Giken is very smooth and seamless. Keep in mind the OS Giken is maybe $300-400 more than a standard Kaaz unit. Also, All clutch type units will require oil to be changed after hard driving, etc. Another issue is clutch plates will eventually wear out. Both companies do offer a rebuild option, and I'm sure others do as well. So keep that in mind. Though, speaking with professional drivers and various shops, the OS Giken LSDs work perfect after 3+ years of abuse.

Also you might want to read THIS LINK to get a better idea of the different types of LSDs out there and their respective reviews.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #34
rb25_s13*CHUKI
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
rb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rb25_s13*CHUKI
Get nismo gt 1.5-2-way adjustable. Its great! Makes aboslutly no noise what so ever. no clunking nothing. Locks up just as good as my friends cusco 2-way. the only noise you'll get Is your gonna hear your tires hugging in parking lots.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #35
Slide~or~die
Leaky Injector

Slide~or~die can only hope to improve
Im not expert just and experienced user lol

i have a welded lsd in my 240 and a tomei 2 way in my 350z.

and the 2way is kind of like a welded in the sense that when there no pressure from the drive train its not locked(like welded)

If ur not on good tires(life) then in the rain both will be a little hairy! (more so welded) but a 2way will have some give, u just have to learn to be easy in the wet corners.

Tomei= aggressive which in return gives a lot of clunking!(w/ tomei oil) and it will sound like some one is hitting ur car with a hammer but only in like hard turns(like u turns or sharpish turns)

Clucking isnt so bad untill after the oil gets a few miles in it thats when the tomei seems to get loud? lol havent tried with other oils but am going to this time because tomei oil is expensive and cost stupid money to get shipped.(its biohazared)

GL, and remember any diff will need attention and just drive smart!
Slide~or~die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #36
Shadowhunter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Shadowhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I run a Kaaz Super Q 2 way for a daily. It is aggressive yet predictable. It is easy to induce oversteer and like others were saying it's hard to get it to quit sometimes. I must admit fucking around in the rain will easily Send your rear end out and keep it out leading to some close calls.
I would say it really depends on where you live, if you live in a place like Cali then it's dry 90% of the time here so I am not so worried about rain driving, and when I have to I am super conservative with the throttle. I really cannot compare with a 1.5 way but I am happy with the aggressive nature of the LSD as it is great for track and yet very predictable for the street. Do with it what you will.
Shadowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #37
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
kinda off topic but funny still. my buddies coupe has a kaaz that is set up around 80% lock and clunks alot. recently he got a set of stance coilovers and theres somthing wrong with the mount, the spring keeps spining and clunking when he turns. so now when hes driving through a parking lot it sounds like a hes being attacked by children with hammers everytime he makes a turn.
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #38
tkocrewsr
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
tkocrewsr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide~or~die View Post

i have a welded lsd in my 240
I wish i had one of those.
tkocrewsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:50 AM   #39
azndoc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
azndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to azndoc
I don't know about you pussies.

But I actually love the clunking noise.

Or people riding in it who don't know what it is and think your car is falling apart in the rear.

But yes I have an OS Giken. Its pretty cool.
azndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #40
Slide~or~die
Leaky Injector

Slide~or~die can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by Slide~or~die

i have a welded lsd in my 240 AND A TOMEI 2WAY in my 350Z

(tkocrewsr)I wish i had one of those.

FIXED that for u!
Slide~or~die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #41
cumbewong
BANNED

cumbewong is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to cumbewong
wow! i got alot more info than i asked. thanks guys, i learned alot.
cumbewong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #42
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
^Likewise. Perhaps this one should be a sticky.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #43
Mike_GruiZinga

Mike_GruiZinga is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowhunter View Post
I run a Kaaz Super Q 2 way for a daily. .
I havn't read many reviews or comments on the new Super Q Kaaz.

How does it behave on the street during normal driving? Does it chatter and clunk in parking lots and sharp turns? It's advertised on being much quieter than there old diff. Do you agree?
Mike_GruiZinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #44
San Diego Kouki
Leaky Injector

San Diego Kouki is an unknown quantity at this point
In the spirit of not making a new thread. I'm installing my Tomei 2 way pretty soon and after break in you're supposed to change the oil. Is the oil container that comes with the diff enough for both the break in and the oil change immediately after?
San Diego Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #45
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Kouki View Post
In the spirit of not making a new thread. I'm installing my Tomei 2 way pretty soon and after break in you're supposed to change the oil. Is the oil container that comes with the diff enough for both the break in and the oil change immediately after?
iirc its one can per change.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #46
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Kouki View Post
get a second can. worst that will happen is you'll have extra. iirc one can is not enough for two changes.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #47
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
open diff cover takes 1.3L vlsd takes 1.5L how much is in that can, 2L?

also, a good alternative for that $50 specialty oil, recommended by a kaaz rep, is any mineral (non-synthetic) GL-5 80w90 (i use Castrol Hypoid C) with a bottle of ford traction modifier. comes in handy, because you should be changing the oil on a mechanical diff frequently. i usually do mine every 2-3 events and it still comes out clear and without too much debris. with every engine oil change should be good when street driving.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #48
San Diego Kouki
Leaky Injector

Cool thanks for the info, I'm definitely buying another can before the install.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #49
godsmack
Zilvia Addict

godsmack is an unknown quantity at this point
I've drifted and daily driven on all but an open diff. VLSD was the best for daily driving and my favorite for daily and track purposes was the 1.5 way. I got a nismo 1.5 way and I wouldn't go back to the 2-way that I had. Drifting with it, in best terms, felt more predictable and controllable. 1-way wasn't bad at all but felt more like a VLSD than anything.
godsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #50
San Diego Kouki
Leaky Injector

What hardware should be replaced when installing a new lsd? I see aluminum diff bushings, lower mounting stoppers, the gasket and the side seal.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #51
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
2 way is certainly the best choice if you want to do any serious drifting (and get better at it). the lock under deceleration is key for doing big initiations and maintaining drift. i switched from vlsd after lifting the throttle would send me the way i was countersteered. not good. if you watch drift bible they compare vlsd vs mechanical in a miata, and the mechanical is able to do much tighter donuts because of its stronger lock characteristics.

people will argue that that welded is just as good or even better than a 2 way. but they are wrong. the fact that they are constantly locked make vehicle rotation difficult. i have spoken with multiple drifters who describe to me how you have to fight the car to turn in and transition. welded is cheap but certainly not the best.

1.5 is good for road racing because it offers maximum traction at corner exit and helps decelerate the car when entereing the corner without creating oversteer.

in response to the OPs question, 1.5 would be only marginally better than 2 way when steet drving in terms of noise and tire wear. the 1.5 will clunk less when coasting (in gear) around a turn. other than that they will behave the same.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #52
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
old thread is old
but I love my s15 helical diff for daily duties
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #53
Rampage
Leaky Injector

Rampage is an unknown quantity at this point
I detect a lot of trolls about to flame for this question, but here is my situation. I DD my Kouki and don't plan to go too serious with drifting as of now. I just want to know if a 1.5 way will lock up when a wheel is in the air on a drive way or something like that. My own driveway is hell, and I shoulda taken that into consideration before I slammed it lol Please guys, I know a 2way would work but this isn't my drift slut!
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #54
Rampage
Leaky Injector

Anyone? Lol I reaaaalllly don't wanna start a new thread for this
Old 12-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #55
Future240
Future Moderator

A 1.5 will. A torsen (helical) wont. You don't need a 2way for a daily.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #56
Rampage
Leaky Injector

A 1.5 way will get the job done you say? Thank you for your help, Future! I was hoping it would work..