Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #61
h2v7
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
h2v7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
yes please running vids and sound of that cutout
h2v7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #62
91 240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
91 240 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14kouki_10 View Post
Great work, wanna weld up some stuff for me
Thanks! depending on what it is, I might be able to help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustache240 View Post
soooo siiiccckkkkkk
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
I would love to see this thing in person, I live in Austin. I have a 300ZX TT and also a shell waiting for a motor, probably an LS based motor. If you would let me check your car out sometime that would be awesome. Oh and unlike you I go to UT, but A&M was one of my other choices..
I don't have a problem with that at all. i'd like to get it a little more "presentable" beforehand though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x13 View Post
This thing is going to eat tires.

sub'd
I sure hope so!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
Insane build!!!
appreciate it man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
in for burnout vids
don't worry, they'll be coming.....eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2v7 View Post
yes please running vids and sound of that cutout
definitely!!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #63
91 240
Zilvia Member

I have a little update, but nothing much to show picture-wise.

over the last few weeks/months, I've been focusing on wiring. I went through the entire LS1 harness and separated every wire and de-pinned both PCM connectors to remove unnecessary systems and to relocate the PCM in the car. At the same time, I relocated the engine bay fuse boxes and wiring. I'll post up fully completed pics when done.

I got to the point to try and start the car but was hit with another set back. Long story short, injectors are not being grounded by the PCM and therefore are not firing other than the first initial combustion cycle - here's a little vid IMG 0462 - YouTube My initial thought was VATS was still enabled, but confirmed by 3 tuners it has been turned off.

After talking with several tuners and friends about the issue, I ordered HP Tuners to help diagnose the tune, to avoid having to ship my PCM off or wait for weeks at a time to schedule a time for a tuner to come by and take a look. It came in over the weekend and now i'm getting familiar with the software and I'm hoping to dive back into diagnosing my problem later this week.

I'm hoping to have a better update next time around. Stay tuned

Last edited by 91 240; 09-18-2013 at 03:11 PM..
91 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #64
91 240
Zilvia Member

I've spent the last few weeks doubling checking my wiring and found 2 pinched wires (one to crank sensor and one to IAT). I've also updated my tune to a 2 bar OS and have added the correct injector data for my Siemens 60lb injectors.

I have a little bit more to do, but here are 2 new clips of it running before it dies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CVB-...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qOPP...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #65
91 240
Zilvia Member

It lives!!

I've done some more tweaking with the tune and now have it to a point where it runs consistently on it's own without dying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtZD16I-xNs

now I can focus on cleaning up all the wiring as everything is hooked up correctly and working. I can finish looming the engine harness and putting the dash harness back together.

Huge step for me and my motivation has picked up again. More progress to come over the long weekend.

Avery
Old 10-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #66
Michaelwinne
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Michaelwinne is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Sounds awesome man! Hook 'em! :P

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Michaelwinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #67
Big Zee
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Big Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Big Zee
that is a beastly yet pure joy to hear even through a laptop.

Great work!! I look forward to more vids of it running
Two-Tone owner#011509-Lightly Modded
Big Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #68
Big Zee
Zilvia Addict

Big Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choices
Send a message via MSN to Big Zee
Also, love the fact you redid everything, engine, engine bay, interior, carpet. all the little things add up.

Kudos dude!
Two-Tone owner#011509-Lightly Modded
Big Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #69
Smartone
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Smartone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So I need to come check this out for sure now. Recently I decided to part out my entire TT setup from my 300zx after it developed rod knock and now I am going with an LS based motor. Not sure yet on the exact motor, but a friend may be selling his LS3 and if not I will go boosted 5.3 or 6.0 (probably TT). I would love to come check it out this week or next to give myself some more incentive for the swap. My swap will be keeping my z32 trans as well as all the accessories by using customs brackets by LOJ Innovations.

Progress looks great!
Smartone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #70
91 240
Zilvia Member

I did a little more on my day off for Columbus Day.

after i got it started and running i developed a pretty big power steering leak. I had to pull most of the front of the motor apart to add a restrictor valve to the pump.

while i was at it, i pulled the manifolds off and wrapped them. with the manifolds generating a ton of heat and very close to my relocated coils, i figured it wasn't a bad idea. i wanted to do the crossover as well, but ran out. each manifold took 50ft of 1" wrap

Next I put everything back together, drained the oil added the compressor and center housing, oil feed and drain lines, wastegate and vacuum lines. Engine bay is 98% done, all i have left to do looming a section of the engine harness and all should be good. just need to bleed the brakes and clutch and finish the interior.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #71
Charzilla
Leaky Injector

Charzilla is a well-known jackass
dayymn so JDM
Boosted LS tho....win in my book.
Charzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #72
91 240
Zilvia Member

I have a little bit of an update guys.

after my last update, i had several other issues come up that slowed my progress.

1. after the p/s restrictor i added, i still had a pretty bad leak. this ended being a bad seal with Russell Powerflex p/s lines i made. the way i had the lines running put some stress on the fittings down at the rack. I added a couple inches to each line to take the stress off the lines and so far it's holding strong now.

2. next my clutch was not disengaging right and catching right off the floor. i had to drop the transmission to shim the slave cylinder out with a .078" shim. now the engagement is more in line with where it should be.

3. another item was my valve train noise. I originally went with a set of Thunder Racing 7.350" pushrods based off my measurements with a PR checker. Looking back, i was using a preload value of .060" from a stock LS1 lifter instead of the .080"-.100" for the LS7 lifters. I changed out a set of Speed Inc. 7.400" pushrods. i still have some noise, but it's better than before.

4. Lastly, i modified my exhaust some this weekend as part of it was hitting my rear diff.

I drove the car around the neighborhood yesterday to get a little feel for it, but didn't do too much with it. Coolant temps were getting a little high just from putting around, still need to troubleshoot this some more.

Here's a quick little vid of me backing it out of the garage and a little walk around. I still have a ways to go with wiring and getting the rest of the interior/exterior put back together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p6pclk9AzU
Old 11-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #73
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
=O man that's one sick build
Old 11-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #74
VQMaxFan
Zilvia Junkie

VQMaxFan is on a distinguished road
May want to put in a comp trunion kit, stock rocker bearings are pretty noisy.
VQMaxFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #75
91 240
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQMaxFan View Post
May want to put in a comp trunion kit, stock rocker bearings are pretty noisy.
Already have the trunion upgrade. Could be piston slap as well. Still have some diagnosing to do
Old 11-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #76
skateny115

skateny115 is an unknown quantity at this point
You may be able to shove a chasebays radiator up under your core support there and get your radiator a bit farther form your manifold piping. Possibly help with over heating problem.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #77
91 240
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateny115 View Post
You may be able to shove a chasebays radiator up under your core support there and get your radiator a bit farther form your manifold piping. Possibly help with over heating problem.
oddly enough, i've been contemplating that. or even another dual pass type radiator and adding a larger "low profile" puller.....current dual 12" pushers obviously aren't cutting it. i like the thought of CB's tucked radiator but, not liking the cost.....>$550 after slim fans, and remote filler neck and cap.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #78
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
A couple of my buddies who are into drifting use the one i linked below. They drive an hr + then beat their cars then drive back home with no overheating issues. They say good fans, a good rad, and low temp thermo is the key. I have this rad and am looking to use Ford Taurus or Altima fans. I will be adding a low temp thermo as well, prob a 180 degree. This rad fits between the S14 rad location with no mods.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/afc-80101ndp
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #79
creatorvince

creatorvince is an unknown quantity at this point
Sick freaking build! Sounds and looks like a monster! Loving it
creatorvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #80
valiants13

valiants13 is an unknown quantity at this point
That thing is beautiful!
valiants13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #81
91 240
Zilvia Member

Time for a few updates. Holidays took a lot of time from me and I dont have a lot to show for it pic-wise, but i have knocked out some big items.

The last time i posted on it, it was over heating pretty quickly just from idling or cruising around the neighborhood. Come to find out, a modification i did to the water pump to plug the heater core outlets actually blocked flow through the thermostat. Sooo, very little coolant was flowing through the motor, definitely not enough. I pulled the water pump and thermostat off and drilled a hole inside the pump to allow water to flow around the thermostat.

I drove the car around 5-10 miles, nothing too much, and things seemed to be working better. I only had 1 fan running and the temps never got above 205*, i'll keep playing with this more as I start putting more consistent miles on it.

I pretty much finished my engine bay wire tuck. I condensed and relocated the pass side fuse box under the dash (pics of this coming) and moved the driver's side relay/fuse box under the wheel well, basically the same location. cleaned up the bundle of wires i had zip-tied around the driver's headlight (if you noticed in the video) and ran the wiring along the lower radiator core support. Only have one pic of the box location.

Then i was able to finally take care of something that i've been wanting to do for quite a while....i painted the hatch and quarter window areas with 2 coats of epoxy primer. Now i can put the quarter windows back on, get taillights mounted, relocate battery, mount the fuel door to the floor and then i can get the hatch back on. One step closer to being road worthy.

I came across a deal that i couldn't pass up. I found a brand new set of CTS-V Brembos at a killer price. Rotors from a Mistubishi Evo 8/9 and Mazworx brackets.

Pretty big size difference compared to the 30mm z32 calipers I had before(not my pic, I was working quick to get it done and didn't get a comparison pic)

Here's a wheel shot, i'll get better ones when I move it out of the garage again.

Finally, over the weekend i pulled the dash back out and have been working cleaning up all the wiring since everything works now, i need to make it a little more presentable. While i'm at it, i'm installing a new Viper alarm w/ remote start (Thanks Broadfield!).

i'm hoping to finish all the dash wiring this weekend and start piecing the interior back for good.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #82
91 240
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
A couple of my buddies who are into drifting use the one i linked below. They drive an hr + then beat their cars then drive back home with no overheating issues. They say good fans, a good rad, and low temp thermo is the key. I have this rad and am looking to use Ford Taurus or Altima fans. I will be adding a low temp thermo as well, prob a 180 degree. This rad fits between the S14 rad location with no mods.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/afc-80101ndp
yeah, plugging the heater core ports doesn't allow for flow behind the stat, like putting a simple hose to loop the outlets. i'll test it a little more, if it doesn't work, I've got a custom tucked radiator in the plans using a Griffin dual pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creatorvince View Post
Sick freaking build! Sounds and looks like a monster! Loving it
Thanks man! It felt good to drive it. first time in 5 years!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valiants13 View Post
That thing is beautiful!
I appreciate it! it's not done yet, but getting close. Hopefully by the summer i'll have the exterior all body worked and painted.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #83
juvi22003
Zilvia Member

juvi22003 is an unknown quantity at this point
sexy calipers
Old 01-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #84
Smartone
Leaky Injector

Smartone is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like good progress. I hope I can come out again soon. I almost have all my parts rounded up for my LS3 swap, need to figure out what I am going to do for headers.
Smartone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #85
Konster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
Konster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Looking good.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #86
tougestyle
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
tougestyle is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
really nice build !
tougestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #87
91 240
Zilvia Member

well, I haven't had an update lately as I've been troubleshooting several things.

had a p/s leak in the rack, attempted a rebuild that failed epically, then finally settled on a reman'd rack.

Then I've been battling overheating issues. I caved and ditched my current setup to something else.

Old set up was a C&R single pass with dual 12" pusher fans and a 160* tstat.

Now i'm going with a Griffin 52801-x, dual 1.25" core, dual pass, a single zirgo 14" puller fan and an OEM 180* tstat.

i'm doing a custom tucked radiator setup to move the rad 3" away from the motor and turbo piping. this requires a little fab work that I haven't fully completed yet, but I have a few pics of where i'm at right now. I hope to have more progress over the next week or so.

pic of rad and new fan

hole in the upper rad support for the rad filler neck

notched about 3/8" from the lower rad support. i'll be welding this up to regain rigidity from notching

front view of temp mounting

engine side view of temp mounting

new clearance I have to mount the 14" puller. I have right at 1" of space between the fan motor and exhaust. hopefully this will be enough

I just need to figure out now to mount it to the car to be strong enough to support the weight.

Hopefully I'll have more updates in the next 2 weeks.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #88
Chaw wee
Zilvia Member

Chaw wee is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome build man, keep it up!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #89
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 240 View Post
Time for a few updates. Holidays took a lot of time from me and I dont have a lot to show for it pic-wise, but i have knocked out some big items.

The last time i posted on it, it was over heating pretty quickly just from idling or cruising around the neighborhood. Come to find out, a modification i did to the water pump to plug the heater core outlets actually blocked flow through the thermostat. Sooo, very little coolant was flowing through the motor, definitely not enough. I pulled the water pump and thermostat off and drilled a hole inside the pump to allow water to flow around the thermostat.

I drove the car around 5-10 miles, nothing too much, and things seemed to be working better. I only had 1 fan running and the temps never got above 205*, i'll keep playing with this more as I start putting more consistent miles on it.

I pretty much finished my engine bay wire tuck. I condensed and relocated the pass side fuse box under the dash (pics of this coming) and moved the driver's side relay/fuse box under the wheel well, basically the same location. cleaned up the bundle of wires i had zip-tied around the driver's headlight (if you noticed in the video) and ran the wiring along the lower radiator core support. Only have one pic of the box location.

Then i was able to finally take care of something that i've been wanting to do for quite a while....i painted the hatch and quarter window areas with 2 coats of epoxy primer. Now i can put the quarter windows back on, get taillights mounted, relocate battery, mount the fuel door to the floor and then i can get the hatch back on. One step closer to being road worthy.

I came across a deal that i couldn't pass up. I found a brand new set of CTS-V Brembos at a killer price. Rotors from a Mistubishi Evo 8/9 and Mazworx brackets.

Pretty big size difference compared to the 30mm z32 calipers I had before(not my pic, I was working quick to get it done and didn't get a comparison pic)

Here's a wheel shot, i'll get better ones when I move it out of the garage again.

Finally, over the weekend i pulled the dash back out and have been working cleaning up all the wiring since everything works now, i need to make it a little more presentable. While i'm at it, i'm installing a new Viper alarm w/ remote start (Thanks Broadfield!).

i'm hoping to finish all the dash wiring this weekend and start piecing the interior back for good.

I have this alarm system, very pleased!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #90
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Nice job on the tucked rad...really digging it. Let me know what you think about the CTSV brake setup. Been tossing around the idea of swapping out the fronts as well for the same setup.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote