Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 AM   #61
hexdmy

Trader Rating: (0)
hexdmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
i kinda feel like my question doesnt belong in here seeing as how all these super smart tuner dudes are slinging phrases i cant even begin to think what they mean. but real quick if i might be so bold as to inquire here...i went with the power fc djetro on a "race build" and it served its purpose beautifully. however a couple years later i went with a more streetable setup/s13 and was thinking about going with a reflash such as enthalpy or jim wolf. which brings me to the questions...

1. what are the pros/cons of the nistune system compared to a piggyback or more specifically a reflash (such as above mentioned)?
With Nistune, you are able to re-calibrate the factory Nissan ecu. If you are familiar with tuning Nissan ecu's , the investment in tuning time and the end result will be considerably better than what you would get using a piggyback. Piggyback controller modify either the inputs to our outputs from the factory ecu. The problem with this, is that there are often many control stratagys in the factory ecu that you have to work against to achieve the desired results. Sometimes the end result, even in the hands of someone who is a competent tuner, are less than ideal. Some of the more basic piggyback, such as the SAFC, can be downright dangerous. As a simple example, let's say we put bigger injector in a motor with the goal of raising the boost and making more power. If we were to use a SAFC to alter, or skew the signal going to the ecu to effectively lean out the mixture, we are telling the ecu that the engine is under less load than it actual is. The problem with this is generally, the ecu will advance the ignition timing when engine load decreases. I think you can see the issue with this.

Quote:
2. i know absolutely nothing about tuning other then my buddy has a shop that is quite good at it lol...so if i were to purchase the individual license and board, would he be able to tune my car/board as often as i would like? and from what i gather 2 more additional cars correct?
Assuming that he or whoever was doing the tuning, was mindful enough to thoroughly familiarize themselves with the Nissan ecu and the Nistune tuning software, I'm sure that any competent engine calibrator could do a great job. If the person who you are considering is not willing to put the time into what I just mentioned, you may want to use an alternative system (stand alone) that they are familiar with or find someone else who is familiar with Nistune to tune your car.

Quote:
thank you (all parties) in advance for any information provided
-tim
hexdmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #62
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexdmy View Post
Sometimes the end result, even in the hands of someone who is a competent tuner, are less than ideal. Some of the more basic piggyback, such as the SAFC, can be downright dangerous. As a simple example, let's say we put bigger injector in a motor with the goal of raising the boost and making more power. If we were to use a SAFC to alter, or skew the signal going to the ecu to effectively lean out the mixture, we are telling the ecu that the engine is under less load than it actual is. The problem with this is generally, the ecu will advance the ignition timing when engine load decreases. I think you can see the issue with this.
Thank you for emphasizing this again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhalf View Post

This is not an aftermarket ECU replacement. It is not advertised as such and it doesnt have the features to compete with Motec/Vipec etc. It is a system which provides retuning similar to re-FLASH based systems using our hardware and fortunately has found its place in the market

[/COLOR][/FONT]
Thank you for being honest and clearing this up.

This is nothing to be "ashamed of" or intensely defensive about, as some of your distributors and supporters on this forum have been and have been initially very pushy is exclaiming that Nis-Tune is a full standalone EMS solution.

I totally agree that it is indeed an excellent stand in, but there are some additional differences between Nis-Tune and it's DIY format and a Motec etc.

Anyways I am going to step back from this thread and hopefully this can continue forwards, especially now that you NISTUNE are directly contributing to the thread and information here.

Hoepfully the other users and consumers on the board can revive the thread and ask you some direct questions and get more information that others need on the unit now...
Old 09-02-2009, 02:53 AM   #63
darkhalf

darkhalf is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I'm not being defensive etc, just clarifying our position because of how the unit was being labeled in this thread

Because of the way Nistune works, it is similar to other standalone units in how it is tuned and has been compared quite a lot to the PowerFC etc.

However one has to remember at the end of the day that it is a factory ECU and you arent going to have MAP sensing, launch control etc with one ... unless special modificaitons are made to the Nissan code (note this has been done by the likes of DeviousKA and Calumsult on the USDM KA24DE/SR20DE platforms using custom modificatioins and stealing inputs from environmental sensors ... but this not something easily rolled out or compatible amongst all vehicles)

There are still a lot of improvements to be had, such as indicating which maps are used when, and dealing other quirks inside the Nissan ECU but that is something I'm working on at the moment. All these things make tuning these units quicker and easier and more accessible. Gone are the days where ROM tuning was a black art known by few.
darkhalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:10 AM   #64
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63

I took the plunge by ordering the Nistune software before I even bought my 1st board. I was just doing rom tuning for my N/A SR20VE with a Calum basic rom board. I tried romeditor then I tried Tuner pro for a few seconds then I heard about Nistune and I checked it out. This was before the free demo lol. I saw some pics and said what the hell I'll give it a go. I was shocked at how easy it made my rom tuning. I feel in love with the ease of use and ordered a board my 1st board a type 2.

I just ordered my type 3 and had a problem with it. Matt's customer service is unmatched and really hard to find these days . He helped me get to the bottom of my problem after I emailed him the logs from the Nistune. My type 2 board was installed by this guy that didnt do a good job broken pin and I thought I was farked.

Keep in mind that I bought this board I think in late 07 and never got to use it yet (another long story). Matt said he could do a exchange just mail it back or he could send another strip. I shipped it back and got served lol I paid $40 to ship it back later found out I was a retard. Matt gave me a small discount on my Type 3 when he didn't even have too. I love the software and can't wait to tune my RB and my 13.1 n/a VE.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:22 AM   #65
sevenstar
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
sevenstar is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i saw a few posts back someone was arguing about a dynapack being a bad way to tune.

HOW IS A DYNAPACK DIFFERENT FROM OTHER DYNAMOMETERS?
The first and most obvious difference is the elimination of the tire to roller interface on a conventional roller dyno. The Dynapack eliminates this variable by using a hub adapter that provides a direct coupling to the Power Absorption Units. There can be no tire slip, no rolling resistance, and no chance of the vehicle coming off of the dyno at high speeds. Notice that this is called a variable. Sometimes it may be a problem area, other times it may not. Tire temperature, pressure, traction, etc are all variables that can change - not only from run to run, but during the run as well. Throw an unknown variable like this into the equation and your data has now become subject to a potentially high margin of error. It is obviously better if these variables could be eliminated - which is exacty what Dynapack has done. There are other associated problems with the roller method as well. Take tie-down straps for example. Most roller dynos use ratcheting tie-down straps to attempt to hold the vehicle in position while being tested. If the straps are cinched down tightly, the tire has become loaded even further, in an unpredictable manner. While this may be good for enhancing traction, it changes the rolling resistance of the tire - skewing the data further. Since these tie-down straps aren't perfect, the vehicle squirms around on the rollers - dramatically changing the tire drag during the run. If the vehicle is tested in two difference sessions, the straps can't be set exactly the same way twice in a row. Again, the data will be inconsistent. There have been of cases where the ratcheting tie-down straps were loosened by two clicks and the measured power increased by ten horsepower. What if the straps stretch - either from run to run, or during the run itself? Wouldn't it be great if all of these problems could disappear? With a Dynapack, they were never there in the first place.

ANOTHER MAJOR DIFFERENCE IS THE EFFECT OF INERTIA
Street wheels and tires spinning at high RPM have a large amount of inertia. A large steel drum spinning at the same ground speed has much more inertia. What you end up with is a giant, heavy flywheel attached to your engine. The inertia is such, that just trying to accelerate the mass of the roller is a substantial load for the engine. That is the principle that some roller dynos (or "inertia dynos" as they are also called) operate on. Accelerate a known mass to a measured speed over a given time and it can be calculated to equal a certain amount of power. There is nothing wrong with this theory, but like many theories, its application in the real world can be troublesome. How do you think your measurements will be effected by being subjected to this large heavy flywheel phenomenon? Will small fluctuations be noticeable? In a word, no. The flywheel effect tends to take small rapid variations and smooth them right out - as energy that should be going into the dyno is being wasted trying to accelerate a large lump of steel. This is great if you want your power curve to look like a smooth pretty line, but it doesn't give you much insight into what is really occurring. What if you eliminated the flywheel effect? While nothing that has a spinning mass has "no" inertia, when compared to the total mass of the wheels, tires, rollers, and other associated hardware of a roller dyno, the inertia of a Dynapack is practically zero. This allows us to precisely measure and display tiny rapid pulses and oddities that you may not have seen before. Now you have a window into areas that no roller dyno will allow you to see. Another benefit of having virtually zero inertia is the ability to change the rate of acceleration at will. In many situations, you may want to accelerate the vehicle at a different rate to simulate a specific condition. With a few simple keystrokes, Dynapack allows you to make the vehicle accelerate very quickly, slowly, or anywhere in between. Because of the lack of inertia and total control of the engine speed, Dynapack gives you choices that none of the competitors can even dream of - and as you know, choices are good!

REPEATABILITY
Dynapack dyno runs are repeatable to better than 0.3%. Other dyno manufacturers claim to be repeatable, but no other chassis manufacturer is even close to the level of repeatability the Dynapack achieves. One large reasons for this is because the largest variable of all has been eliminated - the tire to roller interface. Rubber tires don't hold traction against a steel roller very well. Add a year or so of use, and the rollers become polished by the tires and traction decreases further. Some companies charge extra for special coatings on the rollers - which quickly wear off. When you have this variable link in your data chain, you cannot have guaranteed repeatability - PERIOD. Sure a roller dyno itself may be repeatable, but as soon as you put a car on it, all bets are off. Many people think that this slippage only occurs in high power situations, but we've seen it happen with 250HP Hondas. Just ask some of the import tuners who have had guys sitting on the hood and fenders trying to get the tires to hook up. With the Dynapack, there is a direct mechanial coupling to make absolutely sure that there is no loss, no slippage, and no inconsistencies in this area. There is viturally no inertia to mask small details and the Dynapack uses hydraulics for the ultimate in sensitivity and precision. The Dynapack is absolutely the most consistent and repeatable chassis dyno in the world.

SENSITIVITY
The Dynapack can reliably measure minute differences not seen on other machines.
Some examples include:
  • .010" change in spark plug gap
  • Differences between various lubricants
  • The alternator load when the headlights are turned on (in real time as well)
  • A single step fuel jet change
  • Different spark plugs
that being said....
sevenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:21 AM   #66
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
Dynapaks are ok for tuning hondas, and low power vehicles.

Need something with manly eddy brakes to tune real cars.

This is a mans dyno.

Dyno Dynamics - Home

Don't get all bent out of shape because you couldn't drop enough dime for a chassis dyno.

Also don't thread hijack a month old thread just because you want to argue dyno's.

I am impressed an actual nis-tune rep is giving feed back here, keep up the good work, for reals. And seven star, get lost with your 8 posts.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #67
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

4x4le is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 4x4le Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4le
^^ Dark Half is the owner and designer of NIStune..... Very cool guy too!
4x4le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #68
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhalf View Post
Yeah I'm not being defensive etc, just clarifying our position because of how the unit was being labeled in this thread

Because of the way Nistune works, it is similar to other standalone units in how it is tuned and has been compared quite a lot to the PowerFC etc.

However one has to remember at the end of the day that it is a factory ECU and you arent going to have MAP sensing, launch control etc with one ... unless special modificaitons are made to the Nissan code (note this has been done by the likes of DeviousKA and Calumsult on the USDM KA24DE/SR20DE platforms using custom modificatioins and stealing inputs from environmental sensors ... but this not something easily rolled out or compatible amongst all vehicles)

There are still a lot of improvements to be had, such as indicating which maps are used when, and dealing other quirks inside the Nissan ECU but that is something I'm working on at the moment. All these things make tuning these units quicker and easier and more accessible. Gone are the days where ROM tuning was a black art known by few.
Matts a cool guy i'll be buying a Type 4 ECU from him for my P11 G20t soon.

On a side note its easy to add a MAP sensor if you have a Innovate LM-2 im sure you can do this with the LC-1 also, it what I do when building my fuel and timing maps, I can't imagine tunning anyway else, anyhting else would be guess work. Its very simple, I can't believe that im the only person doing this with Nistune. If your not doing this you should. Logging MAP and TP hand in hand is priceless.
UNISA JECS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:24 AM   #69
sevenstar
BANNED

sevenstar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngriff View Post
Dynapaks are ok for tuning hondas, and low power vehicles.

Need something with manly eddy brakes to tune real cars.

This is a mans dyno.

Dyno Dynamics - Home

Don't get all bent out of shape because you couldn't drop enough dime for a chassis dyno.

Also don't thread hijack a month old thread just because you want to argue dyno's.

I am impressed an actual nis-tune rep is giving feed back here, keep up the good work, for reals. And seven star, get lost with your 8 posts.
why would apexi have a set of dynapaks if they have high hp cars? my point is, people buy dynos, i've heard and seen good things on dynapaks, and your "real man" dyno as well, i just stumpled upon this thread, and as for my 8 posts, well, wow man, you really have a problem with my 8 posts, you have a lot of posts yourself, you should be proud, maybe zilvia will send you a coupon for a free scoop of icecream for having your post count up so high!
but seriously, thanks for the low blow.

on the bright side the dyno dyanmics has this portible one that reminds me of the excersize equipment i had years ago, "When you're not using the dyno, store it under a workshop bench."
sweet
sevenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #70
hotrod991

hotrod991 is an unknown quantity at this point
ok here comes the noob question...I am new to the turbo scene and just got my S13 with an SR. I am going to upgrade to a T28 and bigger injectors soon as i get home from my deployment, and I want to know if a nistune would be practical for someone like me who does not know anything about ecu tuning and just wants to get the optimal power and drivability out of my set up then leave it alone. I do not want to personally start messing with my ecu at this point, just want to get it to a dyno tuner and have it setup. Thanks for the help everyone and happy holidays
hotrod991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:31 AM   #71
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
i think i need to update my software, havent hooked up my ecu to comp in months...lol

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #72
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

4x4le is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 4x4le Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4le
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod991 View Post
ok here comes the noob question...I am new to the turbo scene and just got my S13 with an SR. I am going to upgrade to a T28 and bigger injectors soon as i get home from my deployment, and I want to know if a nistune would be practical for someone like me who does not know anything about ecu tuning and just wants to get the optimal power and drivability out of my set up then leave it alone. I do not want to personally start messing with my ecu at this point, just want to get it to a dyno tuner and have it setup. Thanks for the help everyone and happy holidays

Getting a nistune setup and haveing a pro tuner tune your engine and leave it alone sounds like a great idea for many.
4x4le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:35 PM   #73
integramandj
Leaky Injector

integramandj is an unknown quantity at this point
ok so I'm gonna bring this thread back from the dead I have a simple question I'm having trouble finding can I just buy the board without the license and cable
integramandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:37 PM   #74
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by integramandj View Post
ok so I'm gonna bring this thread back from the dead I have a simple question I'm having trouble finding can I just buy the board without the license and cable

I have bought a board by itself in the past for my other Nissan/Infiniti cars I own since I already have the cable and software so I see why not.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #75
integramandj
Leaky Injector

I would be bringing it to a tuner so I shouldn't need the cable or software right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2014, 11:49 PM   #76
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by integramandj View Post
I would be bringing it to a tuner so I shouldn't need the cable or software right?

Nope as long as your tuner has that stuff your good to go.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #77
integramandj
Leaky Injector

cool thanx bro

Old 05-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #78
Jays_240sx

Jays_240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you offer ETuning? I'm willing to pay for this. If you do please contact me through text, email or even call me. 6033618095(usa). email: [email protected] (leave subject as ETUNE) thank you! I need a tune badly!
Jays_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote