Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-30-2021, 06:22 AM   #1
wirelessliquid

Trader Rating: (0)
wirelessliquid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can Nissan Make Fresh Chassis

Hey Guys,

I was just sat here wondering as all the old S12 and S13 have slowly been smashed to pieces over the years, all we really have left for a reasonable price is rust. I'm pretty sure the US has more 180sx, 200sx and 240sx then the UK but over here a half rusted out running CA18DET S13 is around 9K. SR20DET start at around 12K. To get a decent rolling S13 shell in the UK is around 6K minimum.

Could Nissan Start making old shells for old cars? Surly the presses that made the plated for the chassis to be welded still exists in the world, surly they could make on demand shells?

Has anyone ever thought about mashing shells together? any companies that make new shells or even though abound making your own pipe shell, welding plates over it and putting the panels on that to make some franking S13?
wirelessliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2021, 06:56 AM   #2
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Nissan may make replacement panels through the heritage program - which is a huge stretch - but they won't retool a line to remake chassis for a 30+ year old model. You have to understand while this forum is large [or was in the hay days], in the grand scheme of things we don't really justify that type of financial investment. Companies like Xcessive and GKTech are making replacement rail sections and fabricators can bridge the gap on things that aren't made but for a manufacture to offer support isn't going to happen. If it does, it'll be so expensive that it makes absolutely no sense. See what Mazda is doing with the Miata with their chassis refreshment program. It's absurd.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:09 AM   #3
wirelessliquid

Trader Rating: (0)
wirelessliquid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I didn't even know Nissan made replacement panels. The heritage program seems like something I should have known about aha.

I know Nissan or other such companies wouldn't retool a whole line to make just 1 type of chassis, there would be no market for this. I work in manufacturing and know for the cost to do this there would be almost no market. But I don't think its farfetched to think they could now tool a line to make every type of chassis on a made to order basis, they could cover their whole catalogue of old cars and any car they make in the future, this could be profitable right?

I'll keep these companies in mind, I've just checked them out and they have some great parts, all I want in an S13 that's not a civ >.<
wirelessliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:52 AM   #4
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
the biggest issue is producing a chassis that doesn't meet todays safety crash standards, with the s13, it wouldn't come close to todays standards. They can't be held accountable for cars they made 30 years ago, but since these would technically be new cars, with new VIN's, they would need to fall in line with current standards.

There are loop holes, but these are usually for kit cars (think Caterham) and cars with such low production by less mainstream manufacturers (think Arial) that they can get around it to a lesser degree.

Honestly, with the financial shape that Nissan is in right now, it wouldn't be worth their time. Sure you can bring Nissan an old R32 and they will restore it, but you'll have 250,000 USD in it. The GTR market MAY be able to swing it (we'll see how many people take advantage of the service offered) but with the S chassis, it'll never be there. We're all too cheap and/or poor to do such things.

We have to start realizing that the late 80's and 90's were lighting in a bottle for car enthusiasts. The circumstances were just right in Japan, and in the rest of the world, for all those great cars to be made. With the way everything is moving forward, it'll never happen again. Some manufactures try to hold onto that spirit, the R35, the new Supra, but it's not what it was.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:33 AM   #5
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
^^Mexico's Nissan Tsuru would be a perfect example here. That thing was probably just as safe as an S-chassis (aka death trap) and was still being produced up until 2017.

I love S-chassis as much as the next collector, but with todays emissions and safety standards, I just don't see 13's, 14's, or 15's being brought back into production.

A modern day Silvia would be nice however.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #6
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Best to just keep what you have in nice shape.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:25 PM   #7
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
ChairSlayer did laser his whole chassis when it was stripped down so in theory, he has the keys to the car when it comes to making laser-accurate replacement pieces. It will almost never come to fruition - ever.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:18 AM   #8
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
KF Vintage is the only business I see that may end up offering OEM style replacement panels for s chassis. From their IG, they may be starting up something for s14's. Their current offerings for classic Z's and Celica's are pretty impressive.
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #9
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I deal with Restoration Design for vintage Porsche sheet metal. They have a 100-ton press they literally re-engineered their building to accommodate.

They've remanufactured a complete 356 Speedster chassis. It's $17,750 assembled. It does not include the parts to make it a complete body, which I estimate at somewhere around $28,000. $45,750 for the parts alone, and 356s don't have the complicated pieces that S-chassis do.

If you look at every panel KF Vintage has for a 240Z, they all add up to ~$5920.

S-chassis are approaching valuations that make larger patch panels make sense.
KA24DESOneThree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:01 PM   #10
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Short answer: no.

Long answer: what you are seeking (reproduction of metal pieces) will only work if you have large MOQ (20k+) to hit a low price point. Alternatively, you can pay 3-5x original cost for a smaller manufacturer to reproduce metal at a lower quantity, but the issue of finding original sheet metal to reproduce is still there.

And no, Nissan will not release info for 3rd party makers to restamp sheet metal. That's not how OEMs work.

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:18 PM   #11
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
And if there is one person that would know about the current state of Nissan OEM supplier more than anyone else, it's me...

Having spent the last 2 years trying to procure new, genuine OEM parts for production/import to resell, all I can say is that had I dumped my money into Bitcoin or even the S&P 500 when I started this (Dec 2019), I could have retired by now.

[email protected]
Old 10-02-2021, 12:04 PM   #12
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Time for new GR86 as the new silvia..... great successor i think. Better than anything nissan can do with all their sports car playforms being recycled
Old 10-03-2021, 06:20 PM   #13
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
We don't need a new Silvia, though.

California's on a timeline to eliminate ICE cars. Everything's got neutered electric steering. The first FR-S/BRZ wasn't nearly as good to drive as a refreshed S-chassis, in my opinion.

We're on this forum because we like something that's now vintage. The experience of a good S-chassis, the way they look... that's what we're aiming for. I restore vintage Porsches but don't care about the moderns.

The way forward is to keep the S-chassis alive with quality parts.

Alex, you sacrificed personal gain because you're an enthusiast- and we appreciate that. The Silvia fenders I have waiting on the acquisition of a car for a street build appreciate that. Our appreciation doesn't outweigh an early retirement, though.
KA24DESOneThree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:15 PM   #14
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
California's on a timeline to eliminate ICE cars. Everything's got neutered electric steering. The first FR-S/BRZ wasn't nearly as good to drive as a refreshed S-chassis, in my opinion.
I would say it's way better to drive (comparing my modified but NA BRZ vs the current turbo KA in my driveway) in terms of a complete street car. Modified for track or drift, that's entirely different.

Elimination of ICE isn't a California-only problem, it's the entire world. Manufacturers are moving towards what sells, and the market will move towards vehicles utilizing renewables whether it's slow movement via automakers or fast movement via legislation. Whether we like it or not, the ICE has reached peak efficiency and there really isn't any more we can get out of a traditional engine that hasn't already been done (in terms of power, fuel efficiency, design, etc).

Electric power steering is one of those things that was created in pursuit of overall vehicle efficiency. The market is changing, the products have to evolve to reflect consumer preferences.

Quote:
Our appreciation doesn't outweigh an early retirement, though.
Eh, no one saw the pandemic coming and my investment in parts procurement predated that by about 6 months. Just bad timing.

In an ideal world I could've started this process 12 months early, got the first shipment or two going, then take proceeds and park it for profit in investments. Or I could've parked $50k in AMC last summer.

Whatever. I'm not a fortune teller.

[email protected]