Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #121
z31andrew
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
z31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Wooow those are dope
z31andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #122
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
This is basically the coolest Z31 build I've ever seen.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #123
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
RVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thank you! The goal all along is to change the opinion of every person who hates the Z31

Forgot to take a exterior color sample pic with the seat backs. That was the reason for wanting the kevlar version.

RVAE34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #124
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

RVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really nice

Old 06-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #125
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I am just loving that last photo. The color, wheels, Bride seat. Car is looking amazing.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #126
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks! But it won't be that color for long. I must admit I do like it but I want something a little more loud and the 920 safari gold is just too perfect for this project to me.

Test fit the Dapper Lighting LED sequential boards today. Love them and such solid work on these things! Perfect fitment.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #127
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

The machinist expects to be able to make the cast for custom pistons in 1-2 weeks! Also, I spent all day with my dad's 240z's, his good friend's G nose 240z, my new friend's Hakosuka and another long time friend's LFA. I got to drive the LFA and the Hakosuka in the same day!!! Now I just need to drive an F40!

Last edited by RVAE34; 06-16-2018 at 03:36 PM..
Old 06-16-2018, 07:43 PM   #128
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Omg this thread

But oh woah. Custom pistons!?
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #129
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Yes sir! The combustion chamber is about to be completely reshaped. He will draw the line of the head gasket and start removing material to allow airflow around the valves. The chamber will be round instead of cut off on the outer edges. On a turbo, it doesn't matter but otherwise there are dead spots that don't allow proper flow around the intake valves in particular. Wait until I post the next photos of the combustion chamber! Then he will use the 2 part casting kit I got that takes a mold of the cylinder/combustion chamber with valves open then closed. High compression pistons will be made based on that. Everything matters with natural aspiration!

Btw, here are my friends photos (Mike Lee) from today. He makes my pics look like cell phone shots

Old 06-16-2018, 08:25 PM   #130
NextTimeJr

NextTimeJr is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn those pics are nice..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NextTimeJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #131
future
Post Whore!

future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
In all my years I've never heard of reshaping and all this.

I'm mind blown. Tell me more. Pic me more
Old 06-16-2018, 11:51 PM   #132
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
This build is insane, when I first read this,
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
But I quickly realized I would have at least $15k in the engine I wanted to build.
I thought "yea, that's a lot of money." Then I saw the rest of the thread, jesus man. This car is going to be amazing. I also can't believe you hang out with a guy that has a LFA, that has to be crazy. I've never even seen one in person.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:59 AM   #133
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
In all my years I've never heard of reshaping and all this.

I'm mind blown. Tell me more. Pic me more
Really seriousl? . Combustion chamber resphaping goes back years. Race car machine shops have done this for Decades. it was popular in the 70’s. In the bay are a guy that made race Datsun engines named Don Potter used to do it a lot.
A friend of mine from high school is selling a bunch of Porsche 911 and 356 heads and some of them have this kind fo work done.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:44 AM   #134
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Yes, head work is how to get the most out of a naturally aspirated engine. I know it's a little silly to spend this kind of money for 300 RWHP but I am not looking to build a rocket. I just want a fun car that sounds intoxicating. Especially after driving that LFA!!! I still can't get that amazing sound out of my head!

The engine is getting all the head work, larger cams, larger valves, better guides and valve seats as well as stronger valve springs and lifters to handle 9-10k redline. The throttle bodies were bored and the intake mani/exhaust flange will be port matched for everything. Lastly, the Nitto stroker forged crank and H beam rods. It should be one hell of an NA engine and if I ever do get the itch for more, I can just make a few minor changes and slap on a turbo for 1000hp

Not an RB but here is a pic with a head in which there is more room in the combustion chamber around the valves. See how the shape is more round like the cylinder instead of cut off just above and below the intake and exhaust valves. That area doesn't matter too much with turbo but it creates a dead spot that hurts the efficiency of an NA motor.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #135
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Feal Suspension coilovers installed and at lowest setting. Front should come down a tad when the engine and trans are in but if anything, I may raise the rear a bit. Love the way it looks!!! Please excuse the mess.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:04 PM   #136
future
Post Whore!

Big in the 70s? No wonder I never heard of this reshaping stuff

300 NA WHP on 91 or E?
Old 07-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #137
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

It's big today too. Anyone who does headwork and porting/polishing on a flow bench would do this type of stuff. Most would just never bother with turbo unless overkill.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:20 PM   #138
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Raised the rear a bit. The front is bound to squat down a tiny bit with the extra weight and the rear fitment is fantastic now with very little negative camber.

Check out that lower control arm angle! Parallel to the ground for the antisquat!

Old 07-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #139
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

My body guy made a perfect fit patch panel to fill the side marker on the front fender he is doing a sprayout for. I pulled the engine harness, master cylinder and starting to pull the brake lines now. Going to paint soon.*

​​​​​​​

Old 07-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #140
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Engine bay is stripped other than the front subframe with steering lines and the gas lines since I have the rubber hoses capped off. The subframe and steering will come out when it gets painted. The painter is going to build a rolling cart for it while he does all the body work and paint.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:33 PM   #141
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
Big in the 70s? No wonder I never heard of this reshaping stuff

300 NA WHP on 91 or E?
He's talking about removing the quench pads from the cylinder head. It's very common on high horsepower sr20 builds even.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #142
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

I love this color so much and my plate showed up today too!

Old 08-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #143
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

My machinist said all the port and polish work is done. Valve seats are cut. Now he is just going to work on the combustion chamber to smooth it out and open it up a bit to remove some of the quench pad in order to unshroud the valves. He will take a mold of for the custom pistons. While waiting for the pistons, he will clearance the head for the larger Tomei cams and figure out which shims we need for the Tomei lifters.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #144
JIMB0
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
JIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
color looks amazing
Old 08-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #145
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Wow, I approve of the color change.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #146
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Magnificent. I'm really enjoying your efforts thus far.
The stock color was good, but that SG is going to look sharp.

Also, impressive how good of a condition that car was from the start.
Nice to see a Z31 getting some love.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #147
Sailor
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Sailor is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
My machinist said all the port and polish work is done. Valve seats are cut. Now he is just going to work on the combustion chamber to smooth it out and open it up a bit to remove some of the quench pad in order to unshroud the valves. He will take a mold of for the custom pistons. While waiting for the pistons, he will clearance the head for the larger Tomei cams and figure out which shims we need for the Tomei lifters.
Must be one crazy talented machinist! By far the cleanest z i've ever gazed upon. The wheel choice is on point too, probably one of my favorite matchups so far. Honestly the gold, while looking really good, just doesn't compare to the metallic paint it had (mostly because I love the idea of sleeper status). Loving everything else about your build though,
Quote:
I was a kid in the 80's too so the nostalgia is huge for me. The goal here is to change a lot of people's opinions on these cars. The problem is they are shit in stock form and most people seem to have/had horrible taste when modding Z31's.
living up to this ^ . S'ubd in anticipation for this A+ build
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #148
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
one of the coolest builds on here right now. I think you will succeed in changing (almost) everyone's mind about the z31. I know you have changed mine.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #149
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks, gentlemen! I really appreciate all the kind words!

My machinist is the man. Mid 60s and mostly does top fuel type stuff. He loves this project and has taken a keen interest despite the fact that its 300ish hp instead of 2500.. He said "you wont be upset if it makes more power than you think will ya"? I hope so!!!
Old 08-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #150
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
Must be one crazy talented machinist! By far the cleanest z i've ever gazed upon. The wheel choice is on point too, probably one of my favorite matchups so far. Honestly the gold, while looking really good, just doesn't compare to the metallic paint it had (mostly because I love the idea of sleeper status). Loving everything else about your build though, living up to this ^ . S'ubd in anticipation for this A+ build
It's been a really touch choice for me honestly because the stock color grew on me more and more as the car sat in my garage. But I really want to stick to my original plan and have a statement piece. If it had a ton of horsepower, it would be more fun to make a sleeper but with only 300hp roughly at 10k peak rpm going through Alu or Ti exhaust paired with the ITB's and no filters, it will never be a sleeper nor will it be a monster fast car. It will just sound amazing and be a total blast to drive in a spirited fashion. It won't be anywhere near as fast as any of my last 4 cars but I think it will be the most fun overall.

My real goal is to build a restomod version of an 80's Z432 had they recreated it from the original 70's S30 Z432. Confusing I know, right? I have the badging and all. NOS 432 and Fairlady Z emblems. Many of those cars were 920 safari gold with Watanabe's. And the 432 stood for 4 valves per cylinder, triple carbs and twin cam. Which is also what I will have with the RB28 stroker and RB26 ITB's.

Here is a nice example of the original and you can see more of what I am trying to emanate with my build. The original cars had gunmetal valve covers which is why I had mine done like that too. And the reason I chose the twin cam ornament plate instead of the GTR plate. I want to build an 80's radass Z432.

Last edited by RVAE34; 08-15-2018 at 06:25 PM..