Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #31
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
sleepyS14se is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i want to see the mounts used. I posted awhile back about doing a sbc carb'd in my s14 and everyone went ape shit and said "GO LS OR GO HOME'

sooo, lets see the motor mounts and how would it be any easier doing a ford small block rather than a sbc?

Questions:
Who sells the mount kit?
Is the stock 5.0 oil pan usable or does it require a ton of modifying

this thread really surprises me being no one has done the typical zilvia BS and flaming.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #32
ashilling101

Trader Rating: (0)
ashilling101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lol I know me too and the block I'm using was already in a s13 to I shouldn't have to mod the oil pan and I have mounts with it assuming their sill good

"If you're not first, you're last"- Ricky Bobby
ashilling101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:03 PM   #33
Jarhead0612

Jarhead0612 is an unknown quantity at this point
I was looking into doing a 5.0 swap a couple years ago with low compression pistons for boost but sold it and dropped in a sr20. now im about to do a vh45de swap. The guy I bought my sr from was doing a vh swap in a buddys 240 and it snapped the axle at the joint. Its a hit or miss with the axles.
Jarhead0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:06 PM   #34
ashilling101

Yeah that seems to be the consensus. I'm gonna try to use the stock ones until either they break or when I go turbo. I'm sure the place that's making my drive shaft can make axles too

Old 02-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #35
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
there are only 2 ways to V8 a 240sx.

Cheap way: "new" old school 1-piece rear seal chevy block or similar year ford roller blocks (89+), carb or TPI or mpfi on the factory ECU with a self-tuned chip, hypereutectic piston or stock bottom end, pick a transmission and make 300-350 horsepower

Proper way: LS-x nuff said

pros and cons of each.

Cheap way is cheap, if fuel infected you get 25+mpg too. 300 horses nothing to sneeze at. Lots of aftermarket support that is very cheap. cheap cheap cheap. Cons? Poor efficiency. Old designs. slow computer. batch fire. tune it yourself or it's waste of time and money.

LS-pros / cons. More expensive but you get technology, efficiency, ls edit, new designs and the potential for more than just 300 horses on a factory bottom end.

I've done the cheap way before. Blower/carb. TPI. Holley stealth ram. Twin Turbo small block.

In the end, I came to appreciate the simplicity of the Nissan sr20det.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg build2.JPG (96.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DVC01136.JPG (98.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DVC01214.JPG (91.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Mvc-0z01f.jpg (274.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-20-2014, 12:21 AM   #36
Jarhead0612

Jarhead0612 is an unknown quantity at this point
You can do a vh45de swap for under $3000. 310hp or more with a good exhaust, intake and a tune. There you get technology that nissan is still using, internals of a race engine and the sound of a monster. The engine even with 10.2:1 compression can still handle boost with the pistons nissan used.
Jarhead0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:44 AM   #37
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyS14se View Post
i want to see the mounts used. I posted awhile back about doing a sbc carb'd in my s14 and everyone went ape shit and said "GO LS OR GO HOME'

sooo, lets see the motor mounts and how would it be any easier doing a ford small block rather than a sbc?

Questions:
Who sells the mount kit?
Is the stock 5.0 oil pan usable or does it require a ton of modifying

this thread really surprises me being no one has done the typical zilvia BS and flaming.
Go read those links I posted.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:33 AM   #38
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Can you give an estimate of what your budget actually is? I too am on a collegekid budget. I have enough cash to build a nice car but then I would be broke. So even when it comes to spending 1 grand I still research every possible alternative before spending it.

So many builds that never get completed or cars that get sold because of bills and other financial priorities, just take a look in the cars for sale section. I definitely want to see how you plan on finishing this project because I am in the same boat. I'm not flaming you, I just want to compare my "build outline" with yours.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #39
ashilling101

My budget is around 1000 maybe a little more depending on what I can sell the stuff coming out of the car for