Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #1
Wknd

Trader Rating: (0)
Wknd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've been contemplating to make a build thread for this car for some time and somehow found Zilvia the most suiting place.

The journey with this car started last year, during the summer. I sold my W124 which was fitment oriented car and understood I want a new project car which needs to fall under this category: 2 door, manual, rear wheel drive. A turbo would have been a bonus. I quickly understood the car has to be from Japan, because I wasn't really keen on a E36, Mercedes makes nothing sporty.

Then I turned my eyes to Japanese auctions, did some calculations and after checking out the auctions for months it didn't feel so difficult. Importer chosen, I transferred the deposit in November 2017 and started looking. At first all R32's seemed too expensive and I even looked at 180SX Type X's for some time and every car that I bid on went for ridiculous prices. Then on January 2018 I won the car from the auctions.

Quick list from the auction sheet:
R32 GTS-T Type M 1993/07
Respray, originally black, now purple
TEIN coilovers
GTR front bumper
GTR rear spoiler
GTR wheels
Intercooler
After market steering wheel
AC panel not working, tachometer not working, power windows not working
Clutch no good

So after everything was settled, payments done and the car ready for shipping I got an email from Japan that the clutch has stopped working in the port and needs to be fixed. So that took another month to be fixed. The car was finally shipped in March with the clutch replacement and some logistics error taking the time.
The car itself arrived to Estonia on the 3rd of June and after clearing customs I went to get the car from the port to drive it to my workplace for 50km.
The car in the port:

I started up the car with a booster and everything was okay, but after removing the booster it just died. So we quickly tried my friends battery on the car and realised the battery needs replacement. We went to the closest hardware store, got the cheapest and smallest battery. Put it in place and started driving. No electrics were working, the car had no power so I just cruised to my workplace for 50 kilometres.
I was pretty bummed because of the state and thought it might need a lot of work.

The next day it was clear that the original battery on the car was okay and the main reason everything was not working was the blown main fuse. Got a new one, put it in and everything was completely different. The AC started working, electric windows, tacho and everything else. So safe to say I was pretty stoked. More pictures of the car:

To get the car registered here in Estonia, all I had to do was make the headlights suitable for LHD traffic. I took the lights off the car, put them in the heater to get them apart. Redid the cutoffs for the projectors, refurbished the chrome bezel for the headlights because the chrome itself was flaking.

The car after registering:

After the car arrived this is what I discovered needed work:

Exhaust manifold bolts, some are gone and some are in the block
Rocker cover gasket is leaking
Fuel line is leaking from the overflow
HICAS delete bar installed, but the ball joints have massive play in them
Rear right coilover is slightly oily
HKS filter missing

What I have done so far:
HKS filter installed
New fuel hoses from the tank
Oil change
Timing belt, water pump and auxiliary belts
Rear taillights sealed again, they were leaking
Swapped the steering wheel for a S13 steering wheel currently
Clutch master + slave cylinder and clutch damper delete

The car is now in the garage for the winter. After the time belt replacement, the exhaust camshaft half moon broke and messed up the timing so a new exhaust camshaft is in order to get the car working again.
The purpose of this car is just to drive curvy roads and hit the track in the near future as well.
For the new season I've got some things planned and let's see how it all works out.

Here are some pictures of modifying the headlights.
All I needed to do was to redo the cutoffs.

But first of all, open up the headlights. To do so, I preheated the oven to 130 celsius and put the headlights to the oven for 8.5 minutes, then just take apart the whole thing.
I redid the cutoffs from 2mm sheet metal and just warped them to place, did some trimming. They do not look very good, but they did their job during the registration. I also let a coworker repaint the headlight housings to a flaky silver, because the original chrome was peeling and some areas had black burnt areas as well.
I will get new projectors fitted for the next season, because the current projectors are literally 2 candles showing light and the light intensity is just awful. This will also help with the cutoffs, they will be LHD on the projectors so no more messing with DIY dodgy looking things. I will keep the car on halogens though.

During registration. They check the VIN plates, tyres, markings on the headlights, odometer, headlamp beam and all the importation documents so everything is in order.

As said in the first post, at the start of the September I went to work and felt the clutch pedal is going. Fortunately it got me to my workplace and a leaky master cylinder was the reason. Quickly ordered the master cylinder, slave cylinder and the clutch dampener delete hose. No pictures of the parts or the installation, apart from the "how fun it is to release the clutch pedal" picture a friend made.

After the clutch was in order, we enjoyed the car with my friend who imported a S15 at the same time that I did. We found a great road around 60km from where we live. It's a very curvy road with slight changes in elevation and it's a blast to drive. The main goal for this car is to enjoy it as a street car which occasionally might see track time. Not into drifting and with this car I really feel how I lack good driving skills. So hopefully this change to the positive direction in the future.

Wknd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #2
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Midnight purple? Beautiful car and great work on those lights
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
Wknd

Quote:
Originally Posted by d9m13n View Post
Midnight purple? Beautiful car and great work on those lights
Not sure if it is midnight purple by the paint code, but very similar to it. The paint is however a blessing and a curse at the same time, 95% of the time it is black and needs direct sunlight to really shine. Someone tried to polish the car before it was imported and it looks awful, swirls everywhere, even has some polishing paste on the left side door. Hopefully will get the car polished to glory.

FYI, the 1st post of the thread is somehow missing and that's why the thread was visible before on the thread list, but when opened it was empty. Hope to get it sorted through mods soon.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Fixed the thread

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
240sx_sr20det
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I like the silver headlight housings!
240sx_sr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:57 PM   #6
Wknd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sx_sr20det View Post
I like the silver headlight housings!
Thanks, it was the only right solution at that time. I checked into hydrochroming, but was given some feedback that the chrome might deteriorate and will become yellowish, meaning it's a time wasted. As the housing does not work as a reflector besides the parking lights, I painted them silver with some flake. The parking light works well with the silver housing. However as said I will take the lights apart soon anyway, I need new projectors and also the right side headlight did not fix to the ball joint properly when I put them back together meaning I can't regulate it as it should.

The car is 150km (~100 miles) from where I live in the garage right now so not much progress to do, besides gathering parts and preparing for the next season. Will get some work done next weekend though.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
Wknd

Got a free weekend and found some time to make some progress.
Firstly got the rear on jack stands, the plan was to put the front too but wasn't bothered with it. The front tires are in for a replacement before the season starts so not worried about the tyres being ruined by not moving for months.

Removed the rear coils because I knew they were looking nasty, rear right one has some oil leakage but during the yearly mandatory inspection the shock absorber test gave some good results so hopefully they'll last for another season. Will give them a proper clean though.

The front lip was also in awful state, painted in the worst way possible with the paint running, cracks in the paint and just a shitty job. Removed the lip, started to refurbish it with some sanding. Worst parts got fiberglass, other areas just some plastic filler to smooth it out. Planning to buy some abs plastic to make a splitter to the lip, so that will take some time.

Rear brake pads were literally grind down to the pad, so new brakes front + rear are in order. Also HICAS delete kit, new tyres and hopefully a new steering wheel. Also got a replica Bride seat ready to into the car. Although I'm against everything replica, I'll be using it until I can manage to get a real one.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:51 AM   #8
Wknd

Have not done much lately, except gather some parts.

First of all, as mentioned before the HICAS ball joints have awful play them and a simple lock out bar has been installed before me. So during Black Friday I got a Driftworks HICAS kit, to eliminate the ball joints and just to have some bright colour underneath the car.

After that, I got the replacement exhaust camshaft. I have not actually unpacked it yet, sits in the corner of my apartment currently. I thought of going with Tomei Poncams, but quickly realised it will shift the power curve towards higher RPM so not really ideal for what I use the car for.

Also a picture of the seat I'll be installing, hopefully getting a red one in the near future.

And the reason why there is not much progress of the car is that we're dealing with some serious winter right now, as of late the average temperature has been around -10 celsius and I do not have a heated garage where I store the car.

Before I get the car trailered to where I live and take it to a shop to get it fixed (camshaft replacement and a tune), I'll probably find a new steering wheel and hopefully seat mounts. Won't buy brake pads/discs and some suspension parts before I'm 100% sure the engine will be running all fine after the new camshaft and with the timing set. Also January 18th marked 1 year since I bought the car, which has been an amazing year.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wknd View Post
And the reason why there is not much progress of the car is that we're dealing with some serious winter right now, as of late the average temperature has been around -10 celsius and I do not have a heated garage where I store the car.
Currently dealing with the same thing

Nice car though. keep us posted with the progress
Old 01-29-2019, 09:32 AM   #10
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
In for updates
Old 02-04-2019, 05:46 PM   #11
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Minus - 10? Ha it was - 29 last week here!

Keep up the good work.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #12
Wknd

So the long winter is over here and spring is upon us. It's time to do a small update. I haven't gathered many parts over the winter, because I'm mostly focusing on getting the car in order, replace needed parts and get the engine running again.
What currently needs to be done:

Exhaust camshaft
Valve cover gaskets
Spark plugs
Front right wheel bearing
Outer+inner tie rods
HICAS delete
Brake discs/pads F+R
Rear stabiliser shaft links

Yesterday I got the car towed from the garage to my workplace, so I can firstly start on getting the engine to run. Waiting on some gaskets and bolts from Japan currently while I'm gonna get the camshaft replaced.

Got a pair of SSR Koenig wheels at some point, they were sold as 17x9.5 ET20-30, the seller was unsure. After cleaning the barrels, the sticker came apparent and the wheels are 17x9 ET21. I tried them on with 235/40 tyres, but as my fenders are fully OEM, not been rolled or pulled, then I decided to sell the wheels because I don't want to mess up my arches.

Also cleaned up the rear coilovers, they were dirty, as can be seen on the picture a few posts ago.

Removed the driver's side sideskirt, because it had many cracks and just wasn't fitting as I'd like. Unfortunately discovered some rust on the sill, nothing that major yet, but needs to be figured out during this season.

Hopefully within the next update car is up and running.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:36 AM   #13
Wknd

The car is not yet running, however some progress has been made.
Replaced the exhaust camshaft with some help from my coworkers, during that the rear camshaft half moons and rocker cover gaskets. Forgot to order front camshaft seals before, done that for now. Every rubber hose or gasket is just rock hard, need to get these fixed in the future for new ones as well.
However, the main reason why everything went wrong in October was the bracket for the CAS. It has a crack in it, how that has developed I am not sure and at this point it does not matter anyway. Due to the crack, the bracket is slightly warped. Which changed the position of the CAS and hence the camshaft half key was broken. Need to find a new one and then hopefully can get everything running, will be checking timing marks just incase.

And here's a little picture of the car waiting for future work, looks incredibly small next to an Escalade.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:23 AM   #14
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Never thought I'd see a Skyline next to an Escalade in Estonia, haha.

Great work on those headlamps m8
Old 05-01-2019, 10:02 PM   #15
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIXziuR View Post

Right!? Haha okay cool, I wasn’t the only one who thought this!

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:15 PM   #16
Wknd

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIXziuR View Post

Hah, I work in a dealership where one of the brands represented is Cadillac and it's the only dealership in the country. So for me an Escalade is a pretty usual sight.

Going to have the CAS bracket welded this weekend and hopefully Monday-Tuesday the engine will be running again.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:28 AM   #17
Wknd

Not the most exciting thread, but some progress has been made again. I got the engine running again last monday. The CAS bracket was welded and it sat like OEM.

Yesterday new Brembo front discs and pads installed and the front right wheel bearing replaced. I also bought black studs, looks slightly nicer imo. Such a joy to work on the car when every bolt and nut move freely and don't have to waste time on jammed hardware.

I ordered the last parts yesterday, here's a list what more needs to be installed or done:

Rear brake discs + pads
Front + rear stabilizer shaft links
HICAS complete delete kit install
New tyres (will be getting Nankang NS2R 225/45/16 semi-slicks)
Brake fluid change
Wheel alignment
Spark plugs

I also sold the Bride seat, didn't want to risk with it if I wasn't sure it's 100% authentic. Plan is to get a Sparco Rev seat, quality to price ratio seems to be good.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:34 AM   #18
Wknd

All the maintenance stuff done, I've been daily driving the car for 2 weeks. Also got the Nankang NS2R semi-slicks mounted.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #19
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
How are you liking the tires so far? Ive just recently done the same. I've booked a track day for the 21st so we shall see how they really perform.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #20
Wknd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph_KYAS13 View Post
How are you liking the tires so far? Ive just recently done the same. I've booked a track day for the 21st so we shall see how they really perform.
I've driven them for like 4 days, no spirited driving yet, just around the city. But compared to the old semi slicks the car came with from Japan they are much better. I had 225/50 semi-slicks on the car which had an old DOT and also were slightly cracked, now the new ones are slightly lower. But it's more comfortable and quieter, also seems to have more grip when taking some roundabouts faster. So far I am very satisfied, the price to quality ratio seems to be perfect.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:04 AM   #21
Wknd

Was waiting on finishing some things to post an update. This season has been quite stale, I drove the car frequently after getting it working again and since July not much mileage has been done. The car developed a problem, jerking during boost and stalling when idle. Lost some motivation so the car has been parked for over a month most of the time, maybe accumulated a few kilometres.

In July I got the exhaust manifold studs and gasket done, a few of them were missing and few of them were stuck in the block. The exhaust was leaking and I got it welded up, also the resonator was removed - the exhaust makes more of a growling noise now so I'm happy with the result, not too obnoxious.

I removed the oil and coolant temperature gauges from the dashboard, they looked a bit tacky and not what I really wanted. They also stopped working in the end of the last season and I really didn't care about them. Interior looks slightly cleaner now and hoping to get my own setup for the gauges in the future.

I've been wanting an aftermarket steering wheel for a while, Momo Mod 78 was in the plans for the longest, but I was never happy with the steering wheel position in the car, so I decided to go for a Nardi Deep Corn 350mm. Dumbass me discovered you can adjust the steering column closer when I installed the Nardi, so all in all it's 7cm closer now and made a huge difference.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/169jPRn.jpg/IMG]

Not long until hibernation now, in 2 weeks or so. Find a good spot to park the car for the winter, so happy with that.
The car definitely needs new coilovers for the next season, Tein's are completely trashed. Also planning to do the R8 coilpack conversion. Trying to figure out the jerking/stalling problem next spring.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #22
Wknd

Time for a new update.
I got the car out of hibernation in late March and not much I did for nearly 2 months. Found some vacuum lines that were shattered, replaced them, also a few PCV hoses and hoped that got rid of the jerking problem. Did not, then I removed the MAF, soldered it and now it works like a charm. That lead to a lot of motivation and the car has seen some progress since then.
Today I got new coilovers, because the TEIN's were utter trash and the strut top bearings made awful noises. Ordered new HSD DualTech's.

The front right Tein wasn't in the best shape.

Did a small test drive, it's such a blast now. Quiet and less stiff than before, completely new car. A small clunk has developed on the right side though, but I have not done the alignment yet and I hope I can find the culprit.

Last week I removed the front and rear seats, floor mats. Then I powerwashed them and gave them some soap and a brush. The water from the seats was black and the seats smelled pretty bad. After the wash the car smells a lot more fresher inside.

The old 2-DIN in the car did not work, infact it was not even connected. Got a cheap radio which looked decent and can play AUX. Don't mind the fitment of it, I've ordered a gauge holder from Boosted International, but unfortunately there are some unforeseen shipping delays and I have to wait until it arrives from Australia.

Also changed the rear stabilizer shaft links and the oil in the differential.
Other that have been enjoying it as much as I can.

Future plans include replacing the transmission oil, fuel filter, some fuel lines, de-wiper the rear. I also bought a seat rail in the fall and an authentic used Recaro SPG during the winter, it has some wear, but the price was too cheap to pass. So just need the side mounts and can fit the Recaro as well.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:08 AM   #23
Wknd

Small update before the car goes to hibernation in October. I had some free time and the rear trunk has looked awful since the day I got the car, the floor itself was worn, discoloured and the carpet was a huge mess itself. So I decided to make it more appealing to the eye.
Here are the before pictures with the carpet and the floor:

After the carpet was gone, I painted the floor with a roller brush and a usual roller brush with Hammerite. I first thought I'd spray paint it with a gun, but the amount of time and preparation for it seemed too excessive.
After painting the result was like this:

This sorted out, I took the old carpet and it was already cut into near shape of the rear strut towers so I cut it in half. Found some 10mm thick plywood, laid out the 2 sides on the plywood to form a rough shape.
Then it was time to test fit the 2 pieces in the car, with some occasional trimming and cutting to get it sit as good as I could get it.

Then covered the plywood pieces with vinyl with my father helping me cut and trim the vinyl to fit on the pieces.

Because of the spare wheel tire holder and the well I needed to make a bar which could make the plywood pieces hold straight. Simple solution, I cut a small plank of wood and attached it to the spare wheel holder with a threaded rod. And the end result is as follows:

As you can see I also removed the rear wiper. But I might for the killallwipers solution, which also removed the nozzle and sits a lot more cleanly than the plug I have right one. Also the MAF problem become apparent again, resoldered the connectors again and now it's working nicely.
Other than that been using it as my daily this summer and enjoying driving it.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:16 AM   #24
Wknd

Small changes this year.
One of the coilpacks started misfiring last year so I finally took the chance to upgrade to R8 coils. That meant new plug and play harness, R8 coilpack bracket and new NGK U5014 coilpacks. Small problem is that the intake pipe is sitting on the 3rd coil, managed to adjust the pipe bracket for it to sit slightly higher. Install of it all was very easy, everything is plug and play.

I apologize for having not the prettiest engine bays, but it currently works like it should. Hopefully new vacuum and breather hoses this year.
Secondly I re-opened the headlights, because right headlight projector was not in it's socket properly and the projector was slightly offset and looking weird in it's housing. Also cleaned up the headlights from the inside. High beam reflectors are slowly dying though, the chrome is peeling. But for now it's a lot better and works. Managed to finally install the original bulb sockets for the headlights. It had aftermarket HID's and some temporary wiring after that which was not looking pretty.

And the season started this year pretty early, the car is running fine and everything is like it should.
A picture with my friend's (who also owns the yellow S15) new daily.