Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #241
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Meh nothing fancy, got this one when i turned 18 first watch that wasnt a super cheap-o, has served me well

Then i bought this off a kid who was drunk at a party

I beat the ever loving shit out of this one.
And a skagen i rarely wear

Really want a brietling
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2014, 04:43 AM   #242
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Valid thread bumping activities...

A friend of mine put me onto WatchAMonth last weekend. Wary at first, but still not expecting the best watch in the universe, I figured $26.75 was not a terribly painful expense to feel them out.
The first one came in the mail yesterday:

I know that I will receive some that I do not like. Those can be sold off for $50 or held onto for Christmas gifts or something.
I think I will ride this one out for a little while though.

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #243
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Valid thread bumping action.
Who has been fuckin with the brands that have popped up in the years since this thread was moving along?
I currently have a Pagani Design piece in the air from China at the moment and have been looking at a couple of Parnis as well.

And I write too!
Old 08-02-2020, 11:38 AM   #244
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Ive been rocking my Movado stainless with black dial for about a year now.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:15 AM   #245
dhsil80
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (7)
dhsil80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Ive been rocking my Movado stainless with black dial for about a year now.
Movado is a great brand! I wore a Sub Series 800 Chronograph on my wedding day, and over the years have added to my collection.
dhsil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #246
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

I was arranging my collection and realized just how many watches I don't wear anymore due to how my tastes have changed.

This 12 make up my normal rotation.

From left to right, top to bottom...

Invicta 15187 Lupah
32 Degrees Glider (auto)
32 Degrees Tundra
Adee Kaye AK 9006 Aviator
Adee Kaye 9041 Guardian
Adee Kaye 9001 Pilot
Louis Richard 9039
Louis Richard LR-4068 (auto)
Joshua & Sons JS59
Invicta 19703 Specialty Chronograph
Invicta 26408 Pro Diver (mechanical)
Swiss Legend Challenger

I have one more Invicta in the back that I didn't remember to bring until I had already taken and uploaded the pic.

I'm a pretty big guy, so a 47mm+ watch is not a problem for me to wear. I love the heft of them.
I think of my collection as "affordable," I will hunt the best possible deal and have ZERO qualms about waiting for a month or two for a delivery from China. A couple of FB groups have brought some new brands to my attention, and I will be ordering a Vostok from Russia week after next.
My wife doesn't even question me and new watches anymore. In fact, she paid for two of the ones in the pic here.

And I write too!
Old 08-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #247
dhsil80
Leaky Injector

nice collection! wear them in good health sir!
Old 08-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #248
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If only you all knew how much some of those watches cost to make...

It's hard for me to buy watches because I had a short run of them made (few hundred piece run, no shared design parts with other watches, had to have a custom die made) and I know how much it costs to have a watch made in China, Switzerland, and in the US.

The factories I toured make watches for people I considered my competitors. I saw their quality first-hand and got quotes from them. I also got to see some, ahem, unauthorized reproductions of luxury brands and the finishing work was impressive.

Chinese quality has come a long way; I'd wear a Seagull 1963 almost as often as I wear my Hamilton Intra-Matic Auto and the case finishing on both is better than my Longines HydroConquest USA Edition (which was a gift; I'm not at the $2k watch give-a-shit level).

I'm currently wearing a Timex Q Reissue on a Martini band. Haven't found the perfect beater auto yet.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #249
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
If only you all knew how much some of those watches cost to make...
I have a pretty good idea that it is next to peanuts. I collect what I like and i wear my shit. That said, I refuse to pay more than $150 for a watch. And to your point of the Chinese pieces coming up in quality, you're ABSOLUTELY right. Some of the ones I got about 10 years ago have me shaking my head at myself.
Some of the homages and bespoke designs from the same companies that make them have my eye. I am also looking toward customization, swapping bezels and using some Zulu and Nato straps next

And I write too!
Old 08-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #250
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
The issue I have with expensive watches is the purpose. I hear the stupid Apple Watch commercial chirping in the background saying 'this. watch. tells. time.' I wear an Apple Watch after my years of semi-expensive pieces because of the practicality. Sometimes I'll toss on a decent piece like a Christopher Ward Trident or a Tissot Chrono. I used to enjoy collecting them but I just feel like the lighter, more powerful/useful watches have taken over. It's a shame this world - and I suppose myself - are so reliant on technology and the need to be 'connected.'
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:54 AM   #251
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Casio A168 Illuminator. Only watch I buy lol. $15 at Walmart or $50 at Zumies (what a joke), wear it every day, bash it on cars and not care. I usually get 1-2 years out of one until the face is scratched enough that I replace it.

TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #252
dhsil80
Leaky Injector

I have a couple of Tissot chronos in my collection and I love them. Christopher Ward watches are great, they also make great watch bands and nato straps.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #253
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Got to shopping around today and decided against the Russian Vostok because I couldn't find one I liked in a size and features I liked. I am serious about not wearing anything smaller then 41mm.
Probably gonna pull the trigger on the Pagani Design PD1619 over the next few days. Working from home has the mail and Amazon delivery people looking at me and my wife and just shaking their heads.

And I write too!
Old 08-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #254
dhsil80
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
Got to shopping around today and decided against the Russian Vostok because I couldn't find one I liked in a size and features I liked. I am serious about not wearing anything smaller then 41mm.
Probably gonna pull the trigger on the Pagani Design PD1619 over the next few days. Working from home has the mail and Amazon delivery people looking at me and my wife and just shaking their heads.

Nice choice! I think that 41mm is the ideal size, can't go wrong with that. Maybe post a review of the Pagani Design when you get it.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:04 AM   #255
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsil80 View Post
Nice choice! I think that 41mm is the ideal size, can't go wrong with that. Maybe post a review of the Pagani Design when you get it.
I'mma 240 pounder... 44 is normally my magic number.
I will let y'all know what I think of the Pagani when I decide on one

And I write too!
Old 08-21-2020, 10:41 PM   #256
spacemonkey

Trader Rating: (0)
spacemonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Love the "font" of the numerals on this Longines. Anyone know what it's called?

spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #257
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Longines likely designed the font themselves based on more vintage designs- my turn-of-the-century Ingersoll-Trenton railroad watch has similar numerals with pronounced serifs and differing line widths.

You may want to scroll through the "script" fonts at MyFont, although you might find something you like under "serif."
Old 08-23-2020, 07:54 AM   #258
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

The enormity of my lottery win would have to be something insane for me to justify a $10k+ watch purchase, but I wanted a 10atm+ automatic diver.
I spent some time in FB Groups and Amazon reviews to determine that I would be good with a great number of alternatives...
I went with this one from Aliexpress:
[link]
Could have gotten it on eBay or Amazon with faster shipping times, but the difference of almost 40 bucks while considering that I don't leave my house much with Rona outside, I can wait.

I will look into an automatic Chronograph next.

And I write too!
Old 08-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #259
dhsil80
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post

that is a beautiful watch! and Longines is a great brand, I have seen them used online at reasonable pricing.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:25 AM   #260
tromer9

tromer9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
I was arranging my collection and realized just how many watches I don't wear anymore due to how my tastes have changed.

This 12 make up my normal rotation.

From left to right, top to bottom...

Invicta 15187 Lupah
32 Degrees Glider (auto)
32 Degrees Tundra
Adee Kaye AK 9006 Aviator
Adee Kaye 9041 Guardian
Adee Kaye 9001 Pilot
Louis Richard 9039
Louis Richard LR-4068 (auto)
Joshua & Sons JS59
Invicta 19703 Specialty Chronograph
Invicta 26408 Pro Diver (mechanical)
Swiss Legend Challenger

I have one more Invicta in the back that I didn't remember to bring until I had already taken and uploaded the pic.

I'm a pretty big guy, so a 47mm+ watch is not a problem for me to wear. I love the heft of them.
I think of my collection as "affordable," I will hunt the best possible deal and have ZERO qualms about waiting for a month or two for a delivery from China. A couple of FB groups have brought some new brands to my attention, and I will be ordering a Vostok from Russia week after next.
My wife doesn't even question me and new watches anymore. In fact, she paid for two of the ones in the pic here.
Nice collection. I like chronographs.
tromer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:00 PM   #261
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Currently on the couch digging for just the right GMT.
My wife is literally 8 feet away and doesn't even ask questions anymore.

And I write too!
Old 09-15-2020, 04:20 PM   #262
Colorado S14
Zilvia Member

Colorado S14 is on the path to ruinColorado S14 is on the path to ruin
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post

Longines (lawn-jean) Master Collection, great for the price.
Colorado S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:04 AM   #263
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

AliExpress is having an 11/11 sale on Wednesday, but I am still waiting on a watch I ordered on 08/21 in a brand sale back then. I have ordered and received three watches on eBay since placing this one order.
I am also considering selling out all my quartz watches that are not in my normal rotation in exchange for automatics. That would make my wife super happy.

And I write too!
Old 11-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #264
dhsil80
Leaky Injector

I've also started to phase out my quartz watches in favor of automatics, the only ones I'm keeping are the ones that have sentimental value, however, the autos, can be pricey depending on the brands and features.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #265
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

There are a few quartz worth owning- my daily beater is a Timex Q Reissue and I dig the Huckberry cola colorway as well. Plenty of visual depth and I prefer a smaller daily because they don't dig into my wrists when driving or doing superficial wrenching.

Cheap way into a good watch is a Chinese case, dial and hands, a genuine ETA 2824 or 2836 or Miyota 8215 or Seagull ST1812 depending on what you like, and a bracelet or band of your choosing. You could also go with a 6497 or a Seagull ST-36 manual movement.

You don't need much by way of tools to put a watch together and there are plenty of DIY writeups and videos online.

I had a Seventies Vostok Amphibia in a semi-rare colorway and I dug that stupid thing. It was like an AK47- roughly made by drunken Russians, but it worked well for its intended purpose.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:50 AM   #266
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

The Loreo I have been waiting on for almost three months has the Seagull in it, screw down crown, 200m resistant dive watch.
I have been JUST short of allowing myself to do a Vostok, after some people in a FB group I am in complained of them sometimes arriving needing work and the SUPER long (like longer than China) shipping from Russia and Ukraine. If I find the right one 42mm or so, I eventually will though.

And I write too!
Old 11-10-2020, 08:20 AM   #267
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

The moderns have no soul.

The vintage ones, the ones that have seen some shit and smell of stale sweat and vodka... they're the ones that have soul. Just disinfect them first.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:38 AM   #268
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

I'm SUPER wary about buying a used watch in anything other than an in-person purchase

And I write too!
Old 11-12-2020, 08:28 AM   #269
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Reddit and eBay both have fairly robust review systems and, with an Amphibia, you'll be out like $70 max.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #270
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
Reddit and eBay both have fairly robust review systems and, with an Amphibia, you'll be out like $70 max.
I know, I spent all week making a decision. I went with a sterile face GMT I found on AliExpress, then found the same seller on eBay and made an offer for what he was selling on AI and he accepted it.
I did that because eBay is better about holding sellers accountable for their shipping times.
I then went to a different seller and ordered a nice leather strap for it, because I KNOW the bracelet it will come on will more than likely be shit.
The strap will be here next week, the watch will be about three weeks.

In other news, my 3mo AliExpress journey finally arrived at my local post office this morning, I should have it tomorrow.
When my wife unblocks my front closed with this damn crafts table, I will rescue my watch boxes and probably put the quartzes I have no interest in keeping on FB Marketplace, then set about the task of picking more automatics.

And I write too!