Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Anybody watching Hyperdrive (Netflix)?

So, a friend (said friend isn't in to cars or drifting) told me Netflix made a new original show about drifting. It's basically a competition similar to a cross between wipeout and American Ninja Warrior, but you do most of the task while drifting.

The announcer team is cringe worthy at times, some of the competitors are kind of the same. Overall however, there are several pros from FD and D1, and some fairly recognizable pro-am drivers as well if you follow grassroots drifting.

Some of the obstacles are super dumb, but overall it's kind of cool to see a drifting based "competition" get some hype and spotlight. Anybody here turn in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saXM2VOBI0M
Old 08-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
z31andrew
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
z31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I watched it. Pretty cool concept, announcers suck, good driving from like half the people in the competition. But it is by no means a "drifting" show or competition. Granted, most of the obstacles are meant to be hit with the rear end of the car, but one of the drivers got away with opening his door to make contact on targets, and contestants are able to reverse into said targets. Not exactly a "drift" show. Shredder made his runs a drift show because he drives faster sideways than straight for some reason, but even the Japanese guy who TEACHES DRIFTING IN JAPAN had trouble on some of the other, non-"Drift" style obstacles. However, it seemed if the driver had a background in drifting then that contestant did better than the rest of the field.

Entertaining show to watch, But not a drift show.
z31andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by z31andrew View Post
I watched it. Pretty cool concept, announcers suck, good driving from like half the people in the competition. But it is by no means a "drifting" show or competition. Granted, most of the obstacles are meant to be hit with the rear end of the car, but one of the drivers got away with opening his door to make contact on targets, and contestants are able to reverse into said targets. Not exactly a "drift" show. Shredder made his runs a drift show because he drives faster sideways than straight for some reason, but even the Japanese guy who TEACHES DRIFTING IN JAPAN had trouble on some of the other, non-"Drift" style obstacles. However, it seemed if the driver had a background in drifting then that contestant did better than the rest of the field.

Entertaining show to watch, But not a drift show.
I think it is being spun primarily as such. Over half the driver list is pro, former pro, pro-2 and pro-am drifters. Realistically those numbers are conservative, probably two-thirds or more of the list is. And the rest of them are people who I think they brought in solely for comparison sake / variety.

And the multitudes of articles that mention drifting when one googles it:

Art of Gears: Some of the most worthy drivers from all over the globe meet in the US for a new competitive racing show, that consists mostly of drifting, burning tires and relentless revving.

Car and Driver: Drifting Takes On Reality TV in Hyperdrive, Netflix's New Reality Show

Motor1: Charlize Theron Go Drifting In Latest Netflix Hyperdrive Trailer

Decider: ‘Hyperdrive’ On Netflix, Where Experts In Drifting Drive A Massive Obstacle Course
Old 08-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #4
andisan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
andisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I watched it all in one night but only cared about the Japanese driver, he was a beast and the one having fun at it and wasn’t taking it to seriously

That’s all I really watched, I forward through all the other runs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
cool concept, but not great execution. way too much of a demolition derby and over-all cringy-ness.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #6
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
cool concept, but not great execution. way too much of a demolition derby and over-all cringy-ness.
Agree here.

I like it, as it features drifting on a mass scale and is relatively fun.

I dislike a couple of things:

- There should have been a power cap. Having 800+ HP cars against 270HP cars is ridiculous.

- The water challenges are stupid. You are dealing with low sport cars. Sending them to water filled areas is going to mess them up.

- The announcing. Maybe non car-fans find it appealing. But for those of us who share this as a hobby, I wish there was a mute option.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Old lady put it on for me last night...def kept me intrested..one of the best car shows on tv... theres room to impove but a great start.
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #8
A DOG 406
Zilvia Member

A DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
.one of the best car shows on tv...
You obviously haven't seen pimp my ride.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:13 PM   #9
dukiespice
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
dukiespice is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by A DOG 406 View Post
Pimp my ride>this show
dukiespice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:49 PM   #10
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:
Originally Posted by A DOG 406 View Post
Lmao.......
Old 08-31-2019, 04:52 PM   #11
z31andrew
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
z31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTER-M View Post
I think it is being spun primarily as such. Over half the driver list is pro, former pro, pro-2 and pro-am drifters. Realistically those numbers are conservative, probably two-thirds or more of the list is. And the rest of them are people who I think they brought in solely for comparison sake / variety.

And the multitudes of articles that mention drifting when one googles it:

Art of Gears: Some of the most worthy drivers from all over the globe meet in the US for a new competitive racing show, that consists mostly of drifting, burning tires and relentless revving.

Car and Driver: Drifting Takes On Reality TV in Hyperdrive, Netflix's New Reality Show

Motor1: Charlize Theron Go Drifting In Latest Netflix Hyperdrive Trailer

Decider: ‘Hyperdrive’ On Netflix, Where Experts In Drifting Drive A Massive Obstacle Course
It’s still not a drift show. If it was, they wouldn’t have brought in other cars for “comparison sake/ variety”. It’s a show meant to get the attention of anyone into any type of cars. The main challenges of the course are not even drift oriented. Every course had water challenges, the leveler thing, and challenges to get your car through tight spaces quickly. Even the stupid Lamborghini got through to nearly the end. It was about being a decent, fast consistent driver and that’s what it came down to. They knew the nature of challenges they were doing beforehand, if the guys with 1300 hp drag cars don’t know how to make their shit slide then they shouldn’t even compete knowing they had to do so.
z31andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:50 PM   #12
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Pretty sure they made the loser bracket just to get Fielding back lol
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:32 PM   #13
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31andrew View Post
It’s still not a drift show. If it was, they wouldn’t have brought in other cars for “comparison sake/ variety”. It’s a show meant to get the attention of anyone into any type of cars. The main challenges of the course are not even drift oriented. Every course had water challenges, the leveler thing, and challenges to get your car through tight spaces quickly. Even the stupid Lamborghini got through to nearly the end. It was about being a decent, fast consistent driver and that’s what it came down to. They knew the nature of challenges they were doing beforehand, if the guys with 1300 hp drag cars don’t know how to make their shit slide then they shouldn’t even compete knowing they had to do so.
It's a drifting show in the vain of Ninja Warrior being a Ninja show.

It's glorified for the mainstream masses.

Formula D is never going to get a Netflix exclusive, but something like this that bridges the gap will.

Also, I would have probably put a spoiler alert in there, some don’t watch shows as fast as others. And are you implying Lamborghinis can’t drift? Daigo would like a word with you.

I gotta ask man, why do you care so much that myself and many others describe it as a drifting centric show? It seems to bother you a bit more than one would expect it to.

Last edited by DRIFTER-M; 09-01-2019 at 12:46 AM..
DRIFTER-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #14
rv_zenki
Leaky Injector

rv_zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
The very beginning is harder to watch because the show has to sift through all the crap drivers. Towards the end its pretty good because all the drivers are decent. Overall its a decent start. I'm not going to complain too much about a show where there's people drifting 240's around.
rv_zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #15
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
should have had these guys do the commentary

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:57 AM   #16
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
me and my buddies were talking about these two as hosts also. The lineup they had was horrible
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #17
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerometon View Post
As the topic heading Does anybody have an Idrive on their car? I purchased one for my car and think its great but still trying to find the right setting.
Ur post make no sense to the threads/topics discussed
Old 03-20-2020, 12:11 AM   #18
shoottothrill
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
shoottothrill is just really niceshoottothrill is just really niceshoottothrill is just really niceshoottothrill is just really niceshoottothrill is just really niceshoottothrill is just really niceshoottothrill is just really niceshoottothrill is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I thought they did a great job making drifting accessible to people who aren't into the culture
shoottothrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:21 AM   #19
Drake12321

Drake12321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Very cool show, i like to watch it. Hyperdrive is really nice, i like this idea
Drake12321 is offline   Reply With Quote