Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Marketplace > Reviews Forum > Businesses

Businesses Review your dealings with commercial entities here. Remember: Fair and objective. Flaming, accusations, and complaints are not allowed. Zilvia is not a grievance forum.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Arp

So I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I'm done with this company.

A few months ago I rebuilt my KA. Full ARP everything: Head studs, main studs, and flywheel bolts. I got it running and drove it easy for about 1500 miles. My first time back at the track I made it about 10-15 laps in when my flywheel fell off. Luckily I was at low rpm when it happened and it didn't take my feet off, but it beat the crap out of my crank meaning a full tear down ensued. At the time I assumed I must have been at fault, maybe I didn't fully torque it down.

The first bit of trouble started when I was reassembling everything. As I was tightening the main studs I had a stud snap. Weird. I measured all of them and found another had stretched. I emailed ARP, they sent me replacements. Go to finish the assembly and ANOTHER stud stretched on me. Mind you, at this point I've borrowed a Snap on torque wrench. I email them telling them I need another stud, nothing. 3 emails later with no response I finally get them on the phone and get another sent my way. That's annoying but whatever. Everything is finally torqued and good. While installing the flywheel I followed the ARP instructions verbatim. 242 Loctite on the threads, ARP lube under the heads. I went over each bolt 4 times to ensure they were torqued to 95ft/lbs. All is well. Got the motor in and running.

Not even 40 miles into driving I hear the sound again. Clutch would barely engage and I knew exactly what was up. I pulled the trans and found that I could wiggle the clutch/flywheel assembly. I pulled the clutch off and one fw bolt had backed most of the way out, the other 5 were taken off by hand. Luckily I caught it before it did any real damage.

Now here is where I give ARP the benefit of the doubt. I'm using an XTD flywheel. I have been for 4 years and never had an issue, but these 2 were brand new. They have a powder coated finish, even around the fw bolt holes. What I assume happened since the finished was flaked off around the bolts afterwards is that the coating cracked and allowed the bolts to back out. Again, this was never an issue previously, but I also didn't run ARP bolts before.

Let's say that is the case (I won't find out because I have ordered new OEM bolts and will be running those), the problem I have with ARP is I have once again reached out to them telling them what was going on, and in the case that it was caused by faulty hardware they have cost me quite a bit of money and seat time, the least they could do is respond with something, anything. It has been 3 days and I haven't received anything. So that's an issue I've had with 3 of their products(2 sets of fw bolts and main studs), I've been at serious risk of losing limbs twice now, and they can't even be bothered to respond. I'll be sticking to oem hardware from now on, they have lost my business for good.