Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
DeanGrind
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
DeanGrind is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DeanGrind Send a message via MSN to DeanGrind
Very weird mix of issues, lots of smoke, no starting, and more, help!

So let me begin,

I bought an S14 with an S14 SR swapped in already. Drove it a few times on a couple different days before i bought it even, no problem ever.

So as I go to the dmv after the dude drops it off at my place I notice alot of smoke coming out from exhaust, hood, and even vents. Pull over just as the last of the coolant in the radiator pours out. Get it home and pull the radiator, notice there is only about a quart of oil in it.

next day i start the car up and back it 10 feet into the garage, no problem, put the new radiator in and fill it up with oil it starts up fine, I drive it around my neighborhood to see if it holds up, it does, leave it in my garage with the electric fans running, didnt even think about it until the next day, go to start it up and there are no lights on the dash, starter clicks ONCE

so i go jiggle some wires tighten up the plug on the starter (it was kinda loose) and try again, car starts up but smoke pours out the exhaust, odd. So i drive it down the street to the gas station, turn it off, fill it up with gas, go to start it and boom same problem no lights on cluster, and a single click from stater, tried jumping it, no luck there. BUT I did manage push start it and drive it home, how does all that work?

but now im at a loss, what could it all mean? Pleaseeee help this is supposed to be my daily..

DeanGrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
DJ-of-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
So you want an S14 SR swap as a daily? I mean, if I want a reliable daily, either it's a brand new car or extremely simple used car that is not abused with easily accessible parts.

Anyways, sounds like an electrical issue. This will take a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!
DJ-of-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sell your gnarly SR swap to me. lol

EDIT: Are you really putting oil in your radiator or did you just word that badly two consecutive times?
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-of-E View Post
So you want an S14 SR swap as a daily? I mean, if I want a reliable daily, either it's a brand new car or extremely simple used car that is not abused with easily accessible parts.

Anyways, sounds like an electrical issue. This will take a while.
i daily my s13 sr lol. to OP. next time you jump it hook the negative cable to the chassis and see if it helps
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
DJ-of-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dev71893 View Post
i daily my s13 sr lol. to OP. next time you jump it hook the negative cable to the chassis and see if it helps
Guess what...so did I in 2003, but as my only car to college. Went KA and sold SR cuz even a simple water pump failure took forever back then. I also got tired of paying for random crap with the SR. Not good as a broke college student.

To me, a reliable DD is smething you do not need buy or rent a 2nd car when it is down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!
DJ-of-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
DeanGrind
Leaky Injector

I also have a truck and a Honda ruckus so I'm not screwed.. I just wanted to daily this lol

Also no oil in radiator lmfao I did word that badly though.

I'm at a complete loss though guys
Old 05-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
S14Driftr91
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (26)
S14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I had a similar problem with my starter a few years back when I had a KA... turn the key, no lights, maybe a click ? Tried to jump it, but no luck, idk the entire car would not do a single thing. I was told there was a "dead spot" in the starter and to hit it with a hammer haha

I would get a new starter if I were you. Try that
Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
DeanGrind
Leaky Injector

Ordred new starter, just to find out that the underside of the main relay was bad (really?) anyways now the car will occasionally puff out large amounts of smoke upon startup.. JEEZUS
Old 05-24-2013, 02:49 AM   #9
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-of-E View Post
Guess what...so did I in 2003, but as my only car to college. Went KA and sold SR cuz even a simple water pump failure took forever back then. I also got tired of paying for random crap with the SR. Not good as a broke college student.

To me, a reliable DD is smething you do not need buy or rent a 2nd car when it is down.
oh, well i guess we grew up in different times and situations. and OP, does it crank a lot and then start up? smoke color? amount?
Old 05-25-2013, 02:50 AM   #10
DeanGrind
Leaky Injector

Cranks about twice as long as normal, not super excessive, but just enough to make me think it wont, then idles around 850-950rpm until you gas it a little bit.

Smoke is very gray looking, can't say its blue or white honestly, I noticed a little smoke from under manifold around the turbo and where it's bolted onto the block the exhaust manifold looks a little wet..

I'm starting to wonder if its a turbo issue, would that cause difficult start ups and high thermostat readings though?
Old 05-25-2013, 03:22 AM   #11
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

If the seals are blown and are left long enough. Your symptoms are exactly what my KA was doing and it got worse and worse till it blew.