Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:48 AM   #1
Hbuscema

Trader Rating: (0)
Hbuscema is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do you need a retune if you swap vct cam with aftermarket cam gear?

Hi there,
Currently have a build Sr20det in my s14 and the only thing that wasnt upgraded was the vct, the vct ended up being super rattly so I replaced it with one that wasent, 2 weeks later the new one started rattling, if I was to swap my vct cam gear with an aftermarket cam gear would I need to retune the car?
Thanks
Hbuscema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
probably. what ecu are you using? might be able to just unplug the vct solenoid on the stock ecu.

in my opinion id rather pay for new vct gears than pay to down-tune the car. you're losing a lot of low end torque by ditching vct.
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:58 PM   #3
Hbuscema

Trader Rating: (0)
Hbuscema is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post
probably. what ecu are you using? might be able to just unplug the vct solenoid on the stock ecu.

in my opinion id rather pay for new vct gears than pay to down-tune the car. you're losing a lot of low end torque by ditching vct.
Link ecu, so very customisable. Only reason I don't want to buy another vct is that it's double the price of a aftermarket cam set, but I see where you are coming from with the loss in power
Hbuscema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
It would be a mistake to omit the VCT.