Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-20-2021, 10:00 PM   #1
matthew_V12

Trader Rating: (0)
matthew_V12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR SR20 Low/High port intake differences

Hello, I have an s13 sr20 block, and I plan on using an s15 head with it. The s13 head has a high port, and the s15 a low port. I was just wondering if I would have to change around my intercooler piping at all to make it work? Or would the throttle body sit at the same spot as before with the low port intake?

Thanks!

(I am brand new to the forums, so please forgive me if I'm doing any of this wrong)
matthew_V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2021, 11:07 PM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
13 and 14/15 is two completely different throttle body positions and angles

so yes new intercooler pipes are needed

the 14/15 design is more modern, straight shot, it looks better, its easier to make and fit pipes, just all around more suitable

what are you gonna do about the vtc oiling situation though? Isn't that a tricky mess
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:19 PM   #3
matthew_V12

My plan was to just delete it, id put on the cam gears from the s13 head and unplug the solenoid to make the top end run like an s13 SR.

Thanks for such a quick reply as well!

Last edited by matthew_V12; 03-20-2021 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #4
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Theres an oil feed hole that must be dealt with. I've never done the two different block/head but I do know if you have a hole that used to contain oil and now it doesn't, the passage still exists and can fill with air or somehow cause oil to go places it should not be. Just be careful how you retro fit
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:38 PM   #5
matthew_V12

Yeah, I will have to compare with my junk S13 head and deal with the differences. I think it'll be alright as long as I'm careful, I don't want to end up with two junk heads haha.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:36 PM   #6
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Theres an oil feed hole that must be dealt with. I've never done the two different block/head but I do know if you have a hole that used to contain oil and now it doesn't, the passage still exists and can fill with air or somehow cause oil to go places it should not be. Just be careful how you retro fit
Incorrect. The VTC port is sealed by the head gasket, it doesn?t have to be dealt with.

Also, removing the VTC is a huge step backwards. All modern engines have some time of cam timing. You?ll lose gobs of low end torque.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:15 PM   #7
matthew_V12

Oh good to hear. Yeah, it would be nice to keep VTC, but I don't think I could make it work with my S13 block because it doesn't have the oil channels needed for it. I still have to look into it further, but for the moment I'm just planning on taking it out.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:20 PM   #8
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Incorrect. The VTC port is sealed by the head gasket, it doesn?t have to be dealt with.

Also, removing the VTC is a huge step backwards. All modern engines have some time of cam timing. You?ll lose gobs of low end torque.
I was right that it needed to be dealt with. It just so happens that the head gasket "takes care of it". That doesn't make what I said wrong.

next, how do you know the head gasket takes care of it? Was the head gasket designed to "take care of the hole" Or does it just block the hole by coincidence?

What makes you so sure that it will seal up properly against 60psi or 80psi? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen

In majority of cases where some oil feed high pressure hole is needing to be blocked off, there is some kind of set screw involved, or permanent, reliable solution.

If the head gasket was never designed with the blocking of a specific oil passage in mind it may leak over time.
Be careful, do research, don't make assumptions. Is all I am saying
"people do it all the time" isn't good enough. Does the head gasket manufacturer say that their gasket can be used like that?
Old 03-30-2021, 12:39 PM   #9
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
I was right that it needed to be dealt with. It just so happens that the head gasket "takes care of it". That doesn't make what I said wrong.
?Dealt with implies you have to resolve an issue. It?s not an issue that has to be dealt with.?

next, how do you know the head gasket takes care of it? Was the head gasket designed to "take care of the hole" Or does it just block the hole by coincidence?
?Again, the head gasket seals that port. I.e. the gasket encompasses that feed port.?

What makes you so sure that it will seal up properly against 60psi or 80psi? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen
?Because my block has seen well over 120psi without this port ?dealt? with. The head gasket seals it to a blank spot on my VE head.?

In majority of cases where some oil feed high pressure hole is needing to be blocked off, there is some kind of set screw involved, or permanent, reliable solution.

If the head gasket was never designed with the blocking of a specific oil passage in mind it may leak over time.
Be careful, do research, don't make assumptions. Is all I am saying
"people do it all the time" isn't good enough. Does the head gasket manufacturer say that their gasket can be used like that?
?A head gasket seals far higher pressures from the combustion chamber. Many do not have a folded layer or fire ring. Are you ok??
With the highlights out of the way. Do I agree that relying on the head gasket as a sole source of sealing that port? No. However, I have had zero issues with it over the past 7years.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:34 PM   #10
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
Glenn & Kingtal0n, nothing remotely relevant to say, but it’s good to see that you are both still active here.

Mike