Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
jdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 sr20det lifter bore scratched

Hey, So I took my head to a machine shop to get my valves cleaned and to have new valves seals installed, they just called me back saying I need a new head. One lifter was stuck and they was able to get it out and saying the lifter bore is scratched. I just picked up it and its light hairline scratch, not deep at all. Has anyone experienced this? Am I really going to need a new head?
Thanks

Last edited by jdmgtom; 12-23-2019 at 01:00 PM..
jdmgtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Pics would help tremendously...

But if its a very fine light scratch, some emery cloth, light polish will do. Just depends how bad the scratch is...
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

jdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choices

Last edited by jdmgtom; 12-23-2019 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Bigger picture
jdmgtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

With flash and a little bigger picture
Old 12-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #5
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Get a dremel with a polishing pad on it and buff that scratch down. And ull be good togo. Wouldnt replace a head for that.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #6
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Get a dremel with a polishing pad on it and buff that scratch down. And ull be good togo. Wouldnt replace a head for that.
THANK YOU! I will give it a shot, I cannot find another head anyways right now..
Old 12-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
S14rebuild beat me to it. Had a similar issue on a 1.6 miata head. Hairline scratch on lifter bore, but was able to polish it out no issues at all. Clean her up and you should be good to go!
Old 12-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #8
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmgtom View Post
THANK YOU! I will give it a shot, I cannot find another head anyways right now..
Np, good luck with the build
Old 12-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFITTZY View Post
S14rebuild beat me to it. Had a similar issue on a 1.6 miata head. Hairline scratch on lifter bore, but was able to polish it out no issues at all. Clean her up and you should be good to go!
Thank you for the reassurance, I've been going to this machine shop for a while now, I guess they didn't want to mess with this one.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #10
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Np, good luck with the build
Gonna need it, its been a roller coaster with this car
Old 12-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #11
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:

Second this!
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:18 PM   #12
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Noob question... would you use compound wax?
Old 12-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #13
S14rebuild
BANNED

Yea, that would work, anything with light abrqsive, used to smoth downw the scratch
Old 12-30-2019, 05:38 PM   #14
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Yea, that would work, anything with light abrqsive, used to smoth downw the scratch
10-4, I'll give it a shot and let you guys know after
Old 12-31-2019, 06:19 PM   #15
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
How many heads DON'T have a scratched lifter bore? How new is your head?

Try to polish evenly and flatly, don't make waves or let it go off-round.

Since it looks like they did half the damage, did they offer to pay for half the head?
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:05 AM   #16
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
How many heads DON'T have a scratched lifter bore? How new is your head?

Try to polish evenly and flatly, don't make waves or let it go off-round.

Since it looks like they did half the damage, did they offer to pay for half the head?
Nah, they told me I didn't owe them anything and told me I could find a sr20 head at any junk yard lol not sure if I could use a Sentra sr20 head but I don't even wanna do all of that.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #17
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Nah, they told me I didn't owe them anything and told me I could find a sr20 head at any junk yard lol not sure if I could use a Sentra sr20 head but I don't even wanna do all of that.
If you have a spare lifter, you could use that to lap it. If you have the stuck one, you could cut off any area that may be deformed, and put a little handle on it. There's also tiny hones. Either way, run it like a hone.

Check it's size, if you're lucky it's a tight one and you can match (or stay under) the loosest.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #18
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

Quote:
If you have a spare lifter, you could use that to lap it. If you have the stuck one, you could cut off any area that may be deformed, and put a little handle on it. There's also tiny hones. Either way, run it like a hone.

Check it's size, if you're lucky it's a tight one and you can match (or stay under) the loosest.
I don'y have a spare lifter and that sounds too complicated for me. I'll run this head after I buff it and run it and hope that it'll be okay. If not.. then I guess I'm gonna have to do it all over again with a new head.. lol..
Old 01-01-2020, 04:26 PM   #19
S14rebuild
BANNED

Smooth it out, and stick the lifter in. The lifters body doesnt move up and down, so even if it goes in a little tight ur still golden.

And.... if my machine shop doesnt know enough about where my motor comes from(obvs japan, and cant souce a new head at the local junkyard) i would let them work on it. .02
Old 01-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #20
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I don'y have a spare lifter and that sounds too complicated for me. I'll run this head after I buff it and run it and hope that it'll be okay. If not.. then I guess I'm gonna have to do it all over again with a new head.. lol..
That was pretty simple. If it hurts you too badly to spend several seconds thinking with moderate intensity in order to get a good result, cars may be the wrong hobby for you.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:28 PM   #21
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

Quote:
That was pretty simple. If it hurts you too badly to spend several seconds thinking with moderate intensity in order to get a good result, cars may be the wrong hobby for you.
thanks for your input buddy