Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-22-2021, 08:37 PM   #1
TheVinylKingz
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
TheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 s14 Kouki or BUY the real deal 1997-1998 Kouki

I?m on the fence!

will it be best to buy a 95 s14 with a USDM Kouki front end or just wait and buy a real Kouki??? If ever possible.

I understand that?s there are small differences, but honestly idk If it?s worth buying a 97-98

This s14 is a clean title fresh paint code: ?LS1? Deep Fushia, hardtop (non sunroof) and 4 lug (not that it matters a lot to me).

Original color code was code: ?ALO? Ruby Red
Old 01-22-2021, 08:50 PM   #2
Silv1401
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Silv1401 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Really depends on you. If it's clean then it's clean. Genuine Kouki typically sell for more. FWIW they only made about 4,000 genuine USDM koukis, whereas they made somewhere around 30,000 Zenkis. If that false sense of prestige doesn't bother you, then I would just snag it. Only real differences that come to mind between 95-96s and 97-98s are the color codes, the instrument cluster, and the fact the 96 year S14, Nissan decided to experiment with some god awful in-bay-mounted heater cable system. Obviously didn't go well and they changed it back to the in-cabin setup for 97. That last point really only matters if you plan on tucking your engine bay and keeping the creature comforts.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Silv1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Buy whats in your price range and meets your requirements.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #4
gabefromcali
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
gabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buy a Kia Soul
gabefromcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:52 PM   #5
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
What really matters on an old car that you actually intend to drive, is the chassis.

If the car has never been in an accident it will have all Vin tags, original glass/hood/fenders/quarters/bumpers/doors

Check that all Original panels are in place. check the seam glues and inquire any body work.

Look at the frame underside, check the pinch weld for damage or clamp marks. Check the frame rails for malicious jacking of the vehicle. Inspect steering components.

Then drive the car and make sure it drives straight. Don't believe the owner when he says "it just needs an alignment" That is BULLSHIT. Take it right to the alignment shop and have them align the vehicle if necessary before you buy. NEVER buy a 240 if it doesn't drive straight, the frame is probably bent and the owner already tried to align it and failed so now they are selling it because it won't stop pulling to the right... because that one time he hit a tree or whatever
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:49 PM   #6
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silv1401 View Post
Really depends on you. If it's clean then it's clean. Genuine Kouki typically sell for more. FWIW they only made about 4,000 genuine USDM koukis, whereas they made somewhere around 30,000 Zenkis. If that false sense of prestige doesn't bother you, then I would just snag it. Only real differences that come to mind between 95-96s and 97-98s are the color codes, the instrument cluster, and the fact the 96 year S14, Nissan decided to experiment with some god awful in-bay-mounted heater cable system. Obviously didn't go well and they changed it back to the in-cabin setup for 97. That last point really only matters if you plan on tucking your engine bay and keeping the creature comforts.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Also keep in mind OP, while you can convert a zenki to doing it right costs money. The headlights are around 330 per light now. Then you need fenders, hood, bumper cover, headlight bracket, tailights, side skirt, grill, etc. All of this adds up.

Like Silv1401 said though. Genuine kouki's sell for a lot more now as they are a lot less common.

If it is just the chassis you are after I suggest take a better condition zenki over a beat to hell kouki. You can always make it look like you want with time.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:51 PM   #7
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
If you're on the fence, then don't pull the trigger just yet. You'll know when the time is right. Decisions that are on the fence leave a lot to be desired, you have a 50/50 shot of regretting what you did. It sounds corny and dumb, but its a lot like meeting a woman, when you know, you'll know. You won't have to ask a bunch of strangers on a forum.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:08 AM   #8
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
i would say all of this is moot....

meaning, the benefit of buying an actual kouki is that it comes with the OEM kouki hood, headlights, fenders and bumper. but it also comes with a setback which is OBDII. I personally prefer owning OBDI cars and dont like OBDII, because I know that the engine that belongs in these cars is the SR20DET. So having an OBDI car can make dealing with smog easier. But I wouldnt call this a deal breaker, its minutia. Some people keep the KA, some people do legal swaps, some people live in less strict states. All factors to consider.

I dislike the USDM kouki bumper and when I picked up my 1996, I had no issue tossing everything out: zenki front and rear bumpers, fenders, hood, lights, and engine. Installed SR, kouki fenders, hood, and JDM bumpers. Lots of time and money went into preparing this, but I think it all worked out.

The main issue now is that if you want a kouki, good luck finding one thats suitable. And if you find a zenki, good luck getting all the parts you need to convert it.

note: I never cared for the S14 to begin with. Why I own one now is beyond me.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:56 PM   #9
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
meaning, the benefit of buying an actual kouki is that it comes with the OEM kouki hood, headlights, fenders and bumper. but it also comes with a setback which is OBDII.
the only S14s that were OBDI were early MY 1995 cars for a couple of months when the car was first introduced. most of the 1995 model year cars and all 96-98 were OBDII, so this is a moot point.

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:35 PM   #10
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
the only S14s that were OBDI were early MY 1995 cars for a couple of months when the car was first introduced. most of the 1995 model year cars and all 96-98 were OBDII, so this is a moot point.
maybe your right. my 95 was OBDII but i dont recall it being a pain in the ass to smog. i coulda sworn it ran on the rollers.

im probably a bit confused because my sc300 is a 95 and OBDI. back when it used to need to pass smog, it would hit the rollers too

smog... so overrated.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote