Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
bmfonda
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
bmfonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 SRS air bag light fix with nrg hub

iv been searching for specifics on how to get the air bag light off and still keep the passanger air bag fully functional when you install an aftermarket steering wheel that doesnt come with a bypass resistor that plugs into your clock spring. i couldnt find any specifics on how to do this so here it is.

if you have a BOSS hub (i believe) you leave the clock spring fully intact and they give you a bypass resistor that eliminates the air bag light and keeps the other air bags in working order. BUT if you have any other brand (like nrg) you have to deal with the annoying light always being on (unless you take out the bulb from the cluster), but what if you want the other air bag to work?

the info i gathered from calling Works Bell, who makes the bypass for the BOSS kit, is that the bypass has a two amp fuse and basically just acts as a resistor. yes everyone knows that. i read on another forum on here that the resistance of the driver side air bag is 2.7 ohms. so in theory you can just jump the two air bag wires together with a 2.7 ohm resistor in between. but i havent seen a full write up about anyone actually doing it and saying it works, just theory about it. you can buy a 2.7 ohm 1/2 watt resistor at any radioshack for a few cents but if you know anything about power flow youll know that it will blow (not send signal through) and catch fire when the 9-12 volts and 1-2 amps (9v*1a=9watt, 12v*2a=24watt) goes through that resistor. so in order to not set my car on fire when i get into a crash and still not have the passanger air bag go off, you have to buy anywhere from a 2.7 ohm 10 watt to a 3.9 ohm 10 watt resistor (i found they both work), which you can get at any Fry's Electronics or order online at RadioShack.
finally, heres how what wires/pin outs to jump together via this resistor.

the resistor you need to buy
Attachment 83516
this resistor was just to test it
Attachment 83517
the two on the right, connect the top and bottom
Attachment 83518
closer view
Attachment 83519
THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD LOOK, THIS IS WHAT TO DO
Attachment 83520
just tape this up however you want or cut the wires behind the connector and solder on the resistor. i chose to tape it up like this so if i get in a crash i can put the original steering wheel on to avoid insurance dropping me for tampering.
Attachment 83521

Last edited by bmfonda; 03-06-2019 at 08:26 AM..
bmfonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
Flipnirish
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Flipnirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
great article, but where are the pics?
Flipnirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #3
bmfonda
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipnirish View Post
great article, but where are the pics?
something is wrong with the website. i tried to post them again 2 weeks ago and today and it wont let me. ive posted pics many times before the same way. i can email the pics to you if you pm me your email address

and i can now confirm that the passenger side airbag WILL go off in a crash. sorry for my dash
Old 03-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
BigKriss
Leaky Injector

BigKriss is making a name for him/her selfBigKriss is making a name for him/her self
There is another procedure using the door switch and ign on/off. See if I can find it....
BigKriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
BigKriss
Leaky Injector

BigKriss is making a name for him/her selfBigKriss is making a name for him/her self
"First of all, while this can be attributable to a bad air bag sensor, it's best to run this past a dealer first.If you're certain it's not an airbag issue, and you simply want to reset the light (after servicing the airbags or dash)...
Open driver door
Get in
Shut door
Turn ignition to the on position (all the way, but not to start car)
Open door
Reach down with your left hand
Press the door ajar sensor button thing (7) times
Shut door
Start your car.....
This should reset the airbag lamp."

It took me a few tries but I got it. I tried doing the steps slowly and it didn't seem. The last try I did it fast and it worked.
BigKriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #6
bmfonda
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKriss View Post
"First of all, while this can be attributable to a bad air bag sensor, it's best to run this past a dealer first.If you're certain it's not an airbag issue, and you simply want to reset the light (after servicing the airbags or dash)...
Open driver door
Get in
Shut door
Turn ignition to the on position (all the way, but not to start car)
Open door
Reach down with your left hand
Press the door ajar sensor button thing (7) times
Shut door
Start your car.....
This should reset the airbag lamp."

It took me a few tries but I got it. I tried doing the steps slowly and it didn't seem. The last try I did it fast and it worked.

yes that works if you have the factory steering wheel with airbag. if you dont, and you have a quick release wheel like most of us then the light will keep coming on. the car detects the presence of an airbag by measuring a specific resistance thru the airbag, which is why you need a specific resistor to trick it into thinking its still there. you can get any resistor with the right ohms and throw it in there to turn the light off but if you get in an accident it will blow up and the passenger airbag wont work. you need the right resistor with the correct ohms and amp capacity for the passenger airbag to work.

you can measure the resistance with a multimeter thru the airbag with it disconnected and how many amps it needs to be set off, which is what i did.
i used a 10W 2.7 ohm resistor, which is in the pics if they will show up. its just a big ceramic block about 2.5" by 3/4" with wires out the sides. got it at Fry's for a few bucks