Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:14 AM   #1
thom

Trader Rating: (0)
thom is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
R200 diff assembly question

Hello guys,

I m in the process of changing the 2 bearings in the pinion in my r200 diff so i hopefully stop a whinning sound i have only on deceleration.

My problem is that by trying to torque the pinion nut any number more than 60-70nm it gets very stiff and doesnt turn at all! The manual says 190 to 290nm for this nut !

I really dont understand why since the bearings (Koyo) i got where the same part number and the pinion shims where put back as they where before.

Any suggestions ?

https://i.imgur.com/eZ2kb2w.png
Old 11-18-2022, 12:27 PM   #2
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That would seem to mean that the tapered spacer is bottoming out. Maybe the new bearings require different shims?
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:15 AM   #3
thom

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
That would seem to mean that the tapered spacer is bottoming out. Maybe the new bearings require different shims?
I thought of that but it doest make sense since part numbers are the same and i measured them before installation.

After watching some videos of r200 assemlby i saw that people tighten this nut by "experience" and turning to see how it feels , not loose but also not very tight.

https://youtu.be/0IYOyurW4DY?t=779

This is what i did also and after 2-3 miles everything sounded fine but once i reached high speed (50-60) something began to sound very bad and had to drive back super slow. It sounds like the small bearing on the pinion destroyed.

I checked backlash when i installed the diff and it seemed ok but i dont know what went wrong i have to disassemble again..
Old 11-29-2022, 04:02 AM   #4
thom

Sooo.. .. false alarm.

The small bearing under the seal had wrong shape even though all dimensions where the same , and it came loose. My fault didnt see that the guy sent me wrong part number. Bought the correct one and everything ok.

Still dont undestand why nissan say to torque it 19 to 30kg.

I tighten it until it felt turning good without binding and after driving for 1-2 hours no problem at all , no strange sounds or anything. We'll see hot it goes !