Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
importnut
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
importnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
300zx brake swap e-brake setup

I come out of the darkness with probably one of the last 240 updates to my site. I finished up the e-brake write-up for my 300zx brake swap page.

Check it out here, and please let me know if there is better info out there.

http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap-ebrake.htm

Enjoy!

-Alex S.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
emersonLP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
emersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond reputeemersonLP has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to emersonLP
Nice write up and pics!
emersonLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
cvc9216
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
cvc9216 will become famous soon enoughcvc9216 will become famous soon enoughcvc9216 will become famous soon enoughcvc9216 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
you can add that the R33 GTS(-T?) cables definitely are a direct bolt-in for S14s
cvc9216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
importnut
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc9216 View Post
you can add that the R33 GTS(-T?) cables definitely are a direct bolt-in for S14s
Excellent! Thanks for the info, I updated the page.

-Alex S.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
anotherblusi
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
anotherblusi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Z32 2+2 cables work for s13 without splicing. The only problem is that the mounting brackets for the cables are about 5-6" to the rear of the factory mounting points. But all you need to is make an extension bracket from a strip of steel from home depot. Much better than splicing imo.
anotherblusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:02 AM   #6
importnut
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherblusi View Post
Z32 2+2 cables work for s13 without splicing. The only problem is that the mounting brackets for the cables are about 5-6" to the rear of the factory mounting points. But all you need to is make an extension bracket from a strip of steel from home depot. Much better than splicing imo.
The cables are too short in both the S13 and S14 if you route the cables through the subframe. If you reroute the cables in the S13, you can use either Z32 cable and it will reach. You cannot do this with the S14 unless you get the longer R33 e-brake cables.

Using an uncut, unspliced cable is the way to go in my opinion too. As I stated at the end of the write-up. Still, I wanted to post the option that I used before I got rid of my 240.

-Alex S.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:59 AM   #7
Vision Garage
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
Vision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfectionVision Garage is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Vision Garage
Alex, you have one of the best writeups period. It has probably helped so many 240 owners. What car are you driving now BTW?
Vision Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
Inland180
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
Inland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Inland180
great write up! haven't seen a more complete write up yet.

what about the custom bracket that ebay sells so you won't have to splice your cables? just thought I'd throw it in here . It might be an alternative.

Feedback LINK
Inland180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:07 AM   #9
importnut
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision Garage View Post
Alex, you have one of the best writeups period. It has probably helped so many 240 owners. What car are you driving now BTW?
Thanks! I'm glad I could help! I realize that there are better solutions (like the R33 cables, which I deem the #1 solution) but I wanted to put together all of the info that I've been gathering since I started the project.

As for what I'm driving now, I have a '91 miata with 206k miles on it that I bought for $2 I still have my monster civic hatchback too. It's down at the moment but I'm working on it. I'm actually planning/hoping to get a 350z in the near future but we'll see. Oh, also got a '07 V-rod

I can tell you one thing, I miss my 240 in a big way. I got rid of it for the simple reason that the underbody was rusting away. I was able to restore the body and make it look really sharp, but the underside was developing soft spots. When I sold it, I was hoping to find a good shell to transfer over all of my work, but in the months of searching, I found either badly beaten 240's that weren't worth their weight in scrap, or 240's that were grossly overpriced. Actually, the 240's that were junk were also grossly overpirced. Not much you can do about that...

-Alex S.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
importnut
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland180 View Post
great write up! haven't seen a more complete write up yet.

what about the custom bracket that ebay sells so you won't have to splice your cables? just thought I'd throw it in here . It might be an alternative.
I'm going to look into this. Sounds like a decent idea, but I keep coming back to the OEM solution of using the R33 cables.

-Alex S.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #11
abunai the drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
abunai the drifter is making his/her stupidity well-knownabunai the drifter is making his/her stupidity well-knownabunai the drifter is making his/her stupidity well-knownabunai the drifter is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to abunai the drifter
thanx to your wrtie up i was confedent enought to do 300zx brake wasp my self
Old 05-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
myriad
Leaky Injector

myriad is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to myriad
Soft Spots, eh...? I already directed someone to your site about how to do a 300zx conversion. The S14's help its own so far, the engines on its way out and I have money set aside for the SR swap this summer.

-Blair
Old 05-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #13
importnut
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriad View Post
Soft Spots, eh...? I already directed someone to your site about how to do a 300zx conversion. The S14's help its own so far, the engines on its way out and I have money set aside for the SR swap this summer.

-Blair
Only one that I know of but it was really small. You should see my crusty old miata! 16 years of salt belt use has really taken it's toll...that and the fact that the early miatas had issues with holding water that leaks into the body fromthe top. Anyway, I realized, at the time that I sold the car, that I really wanted to do something else. I was either going to blow big money on a powertrane, or get into another project. I bought an Evo and actually hated it. I sold it six months later. I'm happier with my rusty old miata than I ever was with the evo.

As with anything in life, you tend to outgrow things like hobbies and even friendships. I don't have the time and energy that I did to do the projects that I used to do. I just turned 30, I'm getting married in less than two weeks along with the prospect of changing careers and going back to school. I laugh at the idea of starting another huge project. (my wife to be wouldn't let me put a v-8 in the miata...oh well...she told me to buy a motorcycle...so I did )

Enough about me! Glad to see things are well in the 240 realm.

-Alex
Old 05-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #14
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by abunai the drifter View Post
thanx to your wrtie up i was confedent enought to do 300zx brake wasp my self
Brake wasp? What is that?
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #15
staygold24
Zilvia Addict

staygold24 will become famous soon enoughstaygold24 will become famous soon enoughstaygold24 will become famous soon enoughstaygold24 will become famous soon enough
Does anyone know if the z32 full setup can be used on a 4 lug car? Im interested in doing the full setup but have heard that it cant work due to the 4 lug. Also will the ebrake drum be functional on a four lug car?

thanks
staygold24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #16
importnut
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by staygold24 View Post
Does anyone know if the z32 full setup can be used on a 4 lug car? Im interested in doing the full setup but have heard that it cant work due to the 4 lug. Also will the ebrake drum be functional on a four lug car?

thanks
The only difference is that you need to get rotors redrilled for 4 lugs. Everything else is exactly the same.

-Alex S.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #17
staygold24
Zilvia Addict

staygold24 will become famous soon enoughstaygold24 will become famous soon enoughstaygold24 will become famous soon enoughstaygold24 will become famous soon enough
Thanks, heres more info from r20na for 4 luggers who want full z brake setup

The axle is larger on the Z32TT and Q45 meaning you would have to use the matching hubs to accept the larger axle, but they won't work on your car anyway since the axle is too long.

Basically it's very simple, the rotor hat is the same size for the Q45, J30, and Z32. As long as you're using one of those rotors, the rest of the equation does not matter. 5lug will slide right on, 4lug needs to be drilled to the correct PCD
staygold24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #18
importnut
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by staygold24 View Post
Thanks, heres more info from r20na for 4 luggers who want full z brake setup

The axle is larger on the Z32TT and Q45 meaning you would have to use the matching hubs to accept the larger axle, but they won't work on your car anyway since the axle is too long.
The axle is larger, but I think the splined portion of the hub is the same, meaning you can use TT or NA hubs.

-Alex S.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #19
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
In regards to the ebay adapter. I bought one for 40 bucks, you can't beat it. And it'll save time, aggrevation, frustration, pain, blood, tears. In other words...hell.

I attempted this job waaay back when importnut first put up his brake swap write-up. After 3 attempts at splicing the cables, I couldn't get them tight enough to have ANY e-brake.

Here's another question.....couldn't you just as easily swap out the ebrake handle side cable with the T-bar to a longer cable? I dont know where you could buy that type of cable but I'm sure it's doable. I would think about 3 more inches should do it for the S14, IIRC. Then just simply swap the T-bar to the new longer cable and you're done! Anyone ever tried this? Just curious.

Thankfully I have an S13 now so I really don't have to worry about this mod. Really if I still had an S14, I would just leave the rear brakes alone. Just too much bullshit for only 1 "bling" point.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:10 AM   #20
importnut
Leaky Injector

As soon as you can figure out where to have cables like that made, let us all know It is a good idea, but you're off on the length. It's closer to a foot...and even if you did lengthen the t-bar, you would not be able to properly support the cables.

It is very hard to get the lines tight enough to work. If you look at my pics, you can see that I used 3-4 vise grips. I got it, and it worked very well.

As for the bling point, prior to selling mine, I was building it for heavy track use. Any extra braking is always welcomed. Using an adapter, or the R33 cables makes the process a piece of cake.

-Alex s.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #21
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by importnut View Post
The axle is larger, but I think the splined portion of the hub is the same, meaning you can use TT or NA hubs.

-Alex S.
It is not. The TT and Q45 hub has a larger inner diameter to accept the larger diameter axle.

Only the NA, S13/S14/S15 hubs, as well as R32/R33/R34s will work. The BNR series Skyline hubs are also larger and will not work.
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #22
abunai the drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
abunai the drifter is making his/her stupidity well-knownabunai the drifter is making his/her stupidity well-knownabunai the drifter is making his/her stupidity well-knownabunai the drifter is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to abunai the drifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by R240NA View Post
Brake wasp? What is that?
I was typing drunk sorry
Old 12-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #23
arlok
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
arlok is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Unhappy 240sx s14 ebrake cables

hey guys i just did the z32 brake swap for my s14 but i forgot the ebrake swap.. could someone explain to me why i can't use the stock ebrake cables from s14 with the z32 rear calipers? Why do i need to buy the r33 cables?

Sorry for the stupid question but this will help me a lot..
thanks
arlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
nightsauce
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
nightsauce is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nightsauce
if you just did the swap...look at your rear calipers and ask yourself where the cables are gonna mount and how that would work?

and dont bump old threads
Old 12-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #25
arlok
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
arlok is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsauce View Post
if you just did the swap...look at your rear calipers and ask yourself where the cables are gonna mount and how that would work?

and dont bump old threads
yea that what i was trying to figure out.
sorry for bumping an old thread but i need to ask a last thing to you please..

I dont need to make any cut/splice if i buy the r33 cable right?
Thanks again
arlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #26
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlok View Post

Thanks again
correct if you read the thread you would have your answer
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #27
jovi

jovi is an unknown quantity at this point
just get r33 cables that is
jovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #28
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlok View Post

Thanks again
You can cut the old cable and splice them together but R33s are straight in perfect for S-chassis. This is what I'm using on my S14.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:41 PM   #29
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Hi. I’m only bumping this thread because I have new information.

Gktech now sells brand new ebrake cables. They are advertised as being the same length and identical to r33 2dr ebrake cables.

https://www.enjukuracing.com/product...san-240sx.html

They are advertised as being direct bolt on for s14/15 (with z32 drum ebrake) or, s13 (with z32 drum ebrake) provides you use an “extension plate”

Like this one.

https://frsport.com/street-faction-e...oaArQbEALw_wcB

I purchased these GKtech cables, they are very high quality, but they are FAR too long to use on s13. At least 5” too long.

I have tried every method possible to route them, but they are simply too long.

If you have an s13, what you need is z32
2+2 cables. You also need an “extension plate” like the one I linked above. You can easily make one from Home Depot for far cheaper.

The part numbers for z32 2+2 cables are
36531-32P10
36530-32P10
(I sourced mine new from Z1 for around $200)

Below are photos and lengths of

Z32 2seater cables, z32 2+2, GKTech, and R33 2dr

Z32 2seater approx 44.5”

Z32 2+2 approx 49”

Gktech approx 54”

R33 2dr approx 54”

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:30 AM   #30
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Hi. I’m only bumping this thread because I have new information.

Gktech now sells brand new ebrake cables. They are advertised as being the same length and identical to r33 2dr ebrake cables.

https://www.enjukuracing.com/product...san-240sx.html

They are advertised as being direct bolt on for s14/15 (with z32 drum ebrake) or, s13 (with z32 drum ebrake) provides you use an “extension plate”

Like this one.

https://frsport.com/street-faction-e...oaArQbEALw_wcB

I purchased these GKtech cables, they are very high quality, but they are FAR too long to use on s13. At least 5” too long.

I have tried every method possible to route them, but they are simply too long.

If you have an s13, what you need is z32
2+2 cables. You also need an “extension plate” like the one I linked above. You can easily make one from Home Depot for far cheaper.

The part numbers for z32 2+2 cables are
36531-32P10
36530-32P10
(I sourced mine new from Z1 for around $200)

Below are photos and lengths of

Z32 2seater cables, z32 2+2, GKTech, and R33 2dr

Z32 2seater approx 44.5”

Z32 2+2 approx 49”

Gktech approx 54”

R33 2dr approx 54”

I just got these in the mail yesterday, they are long but they do fit fine on S13. Im using the GKtech mount, and their R33 lines. ill snap some pics when i get home. The GKtech Mount is Specific for the R33 Cables to s13

https://us.gktech.com/s13-240sx-drum...onversion-plat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote