Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #121
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
So I guess I won't be seeing how this turbo runs any time soon?

LuckyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #122
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I will get some infos about one this week end. On a CA18DET.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #123
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Seems like much of the GTX stuff got preshipped by ATP, and the rest of the suppliers are still awaiting them to come in.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #124
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I have a GTX3076R going on a VVL motor.... I bought it from topspeedmotorsports back in Nov. They stock a limited amount of them or dropship from Garrett
Old 03-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #125
Loganpsd
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Loganpsd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I also have a gtx3076r will b on a full-race manifold soon, I will post up some results as soon as I have some
Loganpsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #126
ka-turbo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
ka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i bought this turbo and it seems that garret will only ship it and its kinda of back order, i however received my exhaust housing of .64 wich is wat i orderd....buut the box it came in says .72...wtf...soo im also wanting to know if this will push more boost sooner and all around better than the gt2871r

UPDATES!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #127
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
After emailing with JWT, it seems that some of the initial GTX turbos had a machining issue, hence why they are on delay as well. I guess some of the compressor housings weren't right for the wheels, so I'm glad they noticed that now, not later.

In regard to the .72 housing, what does the turbine housing have stamped into it on the inlet? I'd disregard the box and check the housing

For Example:

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 03-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #128
ka-turbo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
ka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i do not have any stamping like that on the exhaust housing...i bought the upgraded externally gated exhaust housing from ATP through Endurancemotorsports when they were doing there sale, soo!?!?!?!?....i looked everywhere on the exhaust housing for it and i cannot find it
Old 03-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #129
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

The gated housing is a .72/.73AR so I'm not sure why you were expecting .64.

You can find that out in this thread:
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/432611...ml#post4553333
Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #130
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
still have to test fit but this is what route I am going

huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #131
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
How much clarance will there be with that setup?
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #132
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
I'm not sure yet, but the mvs is 3.7" apposed to the mvr being 4.1". I machined the mvs flange down 1/8". And ground the housing flange down flush.

I'm taking the housing to psi tomorrow to be welded and test fit, I'll put fitment pics up in the next week if possible.

Last edited by huffandpuff00; 04-06-2012 at 02:28 AM..
Old 04-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #133
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

here is the best reference to how much clearance there is now.

^This WG stands 4.854'" tall and is about 6" total from the turbo mounting plate.
The MVR WG is 4.171" tall and would be about 5.317" away from the turbo plate.

My MVS is 3.772" tall and sits just under 4.250" away from the plate.

Last edited by huffandpuff00; 04-07-2012 at 09:19 PM..
Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #134
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
It looks like you'll make it, looks good man! I'll be at PSI on Tuesday at 4:30 for dyno run if you're around.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #135
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Yeah I hope it clears. I'll be at work at that time, but I'm excited to see your dyno results!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #136
codyace
Post Whore!

My turbo should be here Thursday or Friday, and go figure I'm going to be a musy mofugga Friday and Saturday. Hope to have it on Sunday, weld up the dump on Monday and then dyno by end of week.

GTX2867, .64 housing

Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #137
the555car
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
the555car is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Are you going to extrude hone the turbine housing? Or see how it compares, then do it?

cheers
-Evan
the555car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #138
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Finally, someone is gonna come through with a dyno!
Glad it was codyace too, so we'll have some reliable comparisons to his go-to 2871 setup.
I wish I was back home in Bethlehem so I could bring my 240 by and see the dyno first hand...

Thanks codyace
Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #139
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the555car View Post
Are you going to extrude hone the turbine housing? Or see how it compares, then do it?

cheers
-Evan
I'll be reusing my same Extrude Honed turbine housing as it already has the wastegate flapper welded shut. Same housing as my 2871

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post
Finally, someone is gonna come through with a dyno!
Glad it was codyace too, so we'll have some reliable comparisons to his go-to 2871 setup.
I wish I was back home in Bethlehem so I could bring my 240 by and see the dyno first hand...

Thanks codyace
Yea I'm hoping all goes as well with this all. It's just going to be a timing thing as I've got a ton of other things going on.

IMO I'm stoked for this, as it's a make it or break it kinda test. Same dyno, similar conditions, car is essentially the same too (only thing I changed were the coilpacks, the rest is exactly the same).

Old 04-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #140
the555car
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
the555car is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Right! Completely forgot about the housing interchangeability and that the GTX doesn't come with one. Looking forward to your results.
the555car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #141
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
Seraphim38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Seraphim38
hffandpuff...FYI I couldn't get that housing to clear my strut tower and had to run a 90 degree elbow like this (offered by ATP for $69, and you have to buy an additional v-band clamp for $45):

link: MVR 44mm Wastegate 90 Deg Elbow, 100% 304 Stainless : atpturbo.com

And, I had a custom dump tube routed (to the atmosphere). It's loud as @#$% and is tought to get used to. I asked my builder to route it into my downpipe so that it isn't so loud and he was resistant to it but will probably do it eventually. It just attracts too much attention when on boost (on the street).
Seraphim38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #142
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

You are running a mvs gate as well and it hit?
Open dump wastegate is one of the best things ever.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #143
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I got mine

Not sure when it's going on, though. Trying to figure out a free night/weekend.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #144
codyace
Post Whore!

I can't believe how much they are charge for new V bands to fit them...that's robbery! Nice little piece though that they sell...but at 100 dollars (before shipping) for the parts, and then more for the housing, I'd have a hard time swallowing the cost over the manifold with a traditional flange.

And yes, recirculating that dump tube is a must. I can't stand the sound of an exhaust leak, even if it is controlled

Old 04-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #145
codyace
Post Whore!

What's the outlet? 2.25 or 2.5?

Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #146
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I thought it was 2" -- I haven't measured it, though.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #147
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

@Seraphim38
Yeah I see that both you and the OP used the MVR(44mm) ewg, but I just figured if I used the shorter MVS(38mm) one I would be able to make it fit straight off the side. PSI should have the flange welded on today and ceramic coated tomorrow, so I think I should have a picture of it all installed next week.

Also I thought you need a smaller wg for more boost. I will be running 20lbs, so isn't the 38mm better at regulating the boost?

I figured the dump pipe would be loud, but I am running PBM straight pipe exhaust anyways and the cops here in Beaverton don't get too worked up about how loud cars are!
Old 04-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #148
g_mac530
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
g_mac530 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to g_mac530
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
then dyno by end of week.
GTX2867, .64 housing
Hey Cody, you going to strap the car down at Diehl Paving?? If you wouldn't mind I would like to stop by and see the car in action.
g_mac530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #149
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffandpuff00 View Post
@Seraphim38
Yeah I see that both you and the OP used the MVR(44mm) ewg, but I just figured if I used the shorter MVS(38mm) one I would be able to make it fit straight off the side. PSI should have the flange welded on today and ceramic coated tomorrow, so I think I should have a picture of it all installed next week.

Also I thought you need a smaller wg for more boost. I will be running 20lbs, so isn't the 38mm better at regulating the boost?

I figured the dump pipe would be loud, but I am running PBM straight pipe exhaust anyways and the cops here in Beaverton don't get too worked up about how loud cars are!
Wastegate sizing is funny. If you're running big boost you can get away with a smaller wastegate, as you're putting most energy through the turbo itself. If you're running smaller boost you would want a larger gate, as it helps vent more pressure and has more control.

In theory, a larger gate typically works better than a smaller gate on a normal street car that isn't running huge boost all the time...but in the same regard, that does not me the smaller gate won't work equally either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_mac530 View Post
Hey Cody, you going to strap the car down at Diehl Paving?? If you wouldn't mind I would like to stop by and see the car in action.
I'm really fraekin hoping to. Deihl now rents the garage to another company so I'm still working the logistics out of it all. I'll let ya know.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #150
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Wastegate sizing is funny. If you're running big boost you can get away with a smaller wastegate, as you're putting most energy through the turbo itself. If you're running smaller boost you would want a larger gate, as it helps vent more pressure and has more control.

In theory, a larger gate typically works better than a smaller gate on a normal street car that isn't running huge boost all the time...but in the same regard, that does not me the smaller gate won't work equally either.

I'm really fraekin hoping to. Deihl now rents the garage to another company so I'm still working the logistics out of it all. I'll let ya know.
if you run too large of a wastegate you can drop a few psi when it opens. this is because a 38mm hole with the diaphragm open 1/8 of an inch will move much less air than a 44mm hole open the same 1/8 inch. if the wastegate diaphragm has a minimum movement of 1/8 of an inch; but will pass too much gas at that lift (38mm vs 44mm hole) to keep the boost level steady, the wastegate is too big. if the wastegate hole is too small boost will overshoot the target boost. this is where the high boost low boost small gate big gate come in.

just to add, i run a 38mm at 18 psi and still see a small drop in psi when the gate opens.
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote